• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Initial Ham Setup

An antenna splitter simply connects two into one like a Y connector. A duplexer basically consists of highly tuned filters that isolate each port from the other and routes the frequency to the proper port.

An antenna splitter simply connects two into one like a Y connector. A duplexer basically consists of highly tuned filters that isolate each port from the other and routes the frequency to the proper port.

Kind of a lazy man's splitter. Does the work for me! :)

Don't know what you mean by lazy man's splitter. A splitter is simple while a duplexer is a bit MORE complicated. They are used when running two radios on different bands into one dual band antenna or when running a multi band radio into separate antennas.

Don't know what you mean by lazy man's splitter. A splitter is simple while a duplexer is a bit MORE complicated. They are used when running two radios on different bands into one dual band antenna or when running a multi band radio into separate antennas.

Feeble attempt at a joke.
No strenuous manual switching required for a duplexer.

Oh OK. :confused: I was confused because a splitter does not require switching either. ;) It simply combines or splits depending which way the RF is flowing.

Dang. I thought a simple splitter had a switch the operator had to move with his thumb and forefinger to select "A" or "B". Or "1" or "2".
Must be a convoluted memory left over from my 1970s CB days. (n) Not sure I'm cut out for amateur radio. :(

Last edited:
You're fine for Amateur radio. There's as many who don't know much as there are who know a lot, and at least twice as many who think they know what they don't. Or so I've been told...
You will fit in somewhere. Me? I'm starting to feel right at home.

Reactions: 2RT307
You're fine for Amateur radio. There's as many who don't know much as there are who know a lot, and at least twice as many who think they know what they don't. Or so I've been told...
You will fit in somewhere. Me? I'm starting to feel right at home.

Thanks, Homer. I determined long ago that you're one of the really nice guys on this site.
Received my Mega Watt power supply today. Like the radio, it's smaller than I'd pictured. And quieter (saw some reviews about the fan being loud. Mine's not.)
Have set it for 13.8 Volts. Hope to hang my dipoles tomorrow or the next day and check out the receive on my radio. I plan to build my homemade 2 meter ground plane this weekend using K7AGE's youtube video.
Havin' fun now!

Last edited:
Reactions: HomerBB and 2RT307
Dang. I thought a simple splitter had a switch the operator had to move with his thumb and forefinger to select "A" or "B". Or "1" or "2".

LOL No that would be an antenna SWITCH.

Must be a convoluted memory left over from my 1970s CB days. (n)

Don't feel bad. Lots of things are mis-named on CB but most things are well understood as to what they really are.

Not sure I'm cut out for amateur radio. :(

You'll be fine. Just take it easy and ask questions. We all had to learn sometime.

Finished with the antennas.

[photo="medium"]4708[/photo]
2 Meter 1/4 Wave Ground Plane
(Couldn't get a good picture of it in attic.)

[photo="medium"]4709[/photo]
6 Meter Inverted V Dipole with Balun

[photo="medium"]4710[/photo]
10 Meter Horizontal Dipole with Balun
(Antenna wire zip tied to PVC. Didn't feel like wading around in all that insulation to attach the wire to rafters.)

I know these are not ideal locations. But I did the best with the area I had to work with.
As University of Texas head coach Darrell Royal used to say, "You dance with who brung you."

I've had CB antennas in these same locations with great SWR's so do not anticipate any big surprises. :eek: But won't know for sure till I get my license and can key the mic. :(
Hope to hook radio up tonight and check out the receive and some of the functions.
IF I recover from heat stroke. That attic is HOT!!!

Last edited:
so since you're selling the 6 and 10 meter dipole what are your plans now for an antenna?

The area in my attic that I have access to is pretty small and home to my central heat unit, lots of wiring, ducting, and stored items so I'm sure my dipoles would have been pretty inefficient. I chose that location because it was easy to run my coax down into my garage, but quickly decided that's not where I wanted to setup. Poor planning on my part. Also, I barely squeezed the 10 meter in and there's no way I have room for a 20 or 40 meter antenna.

So I think I'll do what I planned to do a few years ago: Get an Alexloop, dial my radio down to 20 watts and set up on my patio when the urge hits me. Can set my homemade 2 meter antenna in the back yard and sit in my recliner when I want to listen to the locals.

Just how big is your back yard?? If it was me setting up in the backyard and I had the space, I would at least have a 16' painter pole as the high point and 2 x 12' for the ends of a temp setup dipole for 20 metres. Height is might but it doesn't have to be all the time.
I had 8 contacts across the US last Friday on 20 metres with 10 watts, a dipole and my avi probe as the high point...... on a small hill about 7250'

Reactions: HomerBB and 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.