• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interesting Ham versus freebanders thread on QRZ.com

Why did you enter this conversation again??? Oh yea, i forgot....You had nothing to add but useless drivel. I asked a legitimate question and you came back with your crap.....Bravo Stupid

No, it was legitimate. I found Peddlers statement very ironic as thats the exact same thing CW does here, yet he is allowed to continue

I think it's funny. He copy/pastes from the FCC, adds nothing, and all the crybabies start the waterworks. It's in the FCC section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did you expect?

every one that I know that does freebanding stays way clear of the ham band. I think most times some hams are just picking on cbers for no good reason. I hear alot of hams on freeban so I dont understand all this griping.I think only a very few cbers go on the ham band and most times it is cause they are not told about it and don`t understand when they get into cb and are new to the hobby.

I think it is just a plan that some hams make a big fuss over a made up problem just to make trouble.

most operator I think get along and dont worry about each other and just have fun because we all have a intrest in radios.

just my feelings.

I have a question and it is not meant to stir anything up but here goes. How do you guys that keep saying that you hear plenty of hams on freeband know they are really hams? I have heard only a couple times in 29 years of radio,someone say on the freeband that they were going back to whatever meters.There are plenty of ham radios being used on the freeband but that does not mean the user is a ham.Do you guys really recognize that many freeband voices as being local hams that you know? I know that some do but to make a blanket statement like I have heard before that "a lot" or "most" hams run on the freeband is just plain and simply false.

QRN;
If one does his homework and put two and two together, you'll prob find there are more hams on freeband than you realize.

call numbers from forums and then read closely the forums.

It's not a bad thing as the CBers are there illegally why can't hams also.

This "I'm a ham and do nothing wrong" attitude from those that are freebanding is the exact attitude that irkes the CBer when a ham starts belittling them.

Not starting trouble, just stating an opinion.

I enjoy your open attitude and appreciate your posts

Peddler said:
call numbers from forums and then read closely the forums.

Agreed,but most of these "cross over" forums attract "cross over" operators from both services.Yes there are some here and on qrz.com but it is a VERY small percentage.

It's not a bad thing as the CBers are there illegally why can't hams also.

Agreed also.Most hams take operating out of band a bit more seriously though and are less likely to do so.IMHO.

This "I'm a ham and do nothing wrong" attitude from those that are freebanding is the exact attitude that irkes the CBer when a ham starts belittling them.

Also agreed about the pot calling the kettle black problem.What about the true ham band only operator that complains? Does that irk Freddie Freebander as much?

I enjoy your open attitude and appreciate your posts

Thank you. ;) I will admit to being a freebander many years ago,more than I care to admit.I even continued for a short while after getting my ticket but soon dropped it for ham bands only.I can see where a lot of folks are coming from on this.I,as you can probably tell,am not one of those "reformed freebanders" that preach to others the evil of their ways.Do I see and think that I was wrong for doing what I did years ago? YES! I should have gotten my ticket years before I did. :LOL: Too each his own as far as what one wants out of radio as long as one service respects the freq. allocations of the other.I know at one time years ago the freeband was loaded with locals and I have met many of them in later years on the ham bands.AFAIK they do not bother there any more as well.I know that by far the vast majority of the old timers were never on the freeband as most of them were hams even before CB was started.Things may be differant in your neck of the woods but as I said,I have heard only a few instances of hams that I know were active on the freeband at the same time they were licensed hams.

Once one obtains the ticket, (and I realize the perpective is different from the "CB" side of the house), I can't understand what this "freebanding" attraction is. I mean, there actually better performing frequencies than 27 MHZ, and if you can work all these stations LEGALLY, why mess with it? My best contacts have been 18 and 14 MHZ. It's where I used to talk to Mike in Barcelona, Spain almost every afternoon coming home from work, and where I worked Estonia from mobile on 14 MHZ. So once one gets the ticket, I just can't see why someone hangs onto the "freebanding" thing, and it seems the most exotic stations are down around 20 Meters. I DO know, that despite the popular notion that nobody "uses" those frequencies, it isn't necessarily so. Same thing below 27 MHZ where some agencies DO use the area between 25 and 26.700 MHZ for remote broadcasting, some military operations (mostly data), and a few government things. Of course, the folks prone to prey on these frequencies will chirp that, "Well, nobody uses 'em anymore", or, "FCC won't bother you over it" so as to justify stealing them. :? And then, I reckon it's the "I can do something you can't" thing which imparts sort of an exclusivity thing. Oh, well, life goes on............................ :LOL:

Well o'l CW Morse sure started squeeling like a stuck hog when someone mentioned he advertised his antennas on a CB forum !!! LOL !!! I know CW freebands,I know it,if not he sure as heck would not be here so much and advertise his antennas on a mostly CB/freeband forum ! I would be willing to bet CW Morse is running and operating more illegally than anyone knows.Guarenteed !

Well on how I know hams are freebanding, I talked to quite a few that told me so and I got there #s. But they are great to talk to, had alot of fun there and did not juge me. I was never interrested in getting my licence till I got my first expanded radio and started freebanding. I was told where to stay away from to not cause trouble. I enjoyed the way operators act and conduct them self there.So Now I do want to get my licence and I owe it to freebanding. I believe it sparks a fire to go farther in this hobby and I hope to soon get my ticket and maybe someday even give up the freebanding.

I think it`s a good thing and the FCC should leagalize it to help spark more intrest in the hobby like it did for me.

I do understand and repect all the opinions on this forum and hope you all repect my opinion too. Thats what this forum is all about but I dont think we should snitch on each other. thats down right ugly.

AP

Maybe the freebanders like to talk to the other freebanders more than to the hams on the ham bands.

I dunno? I think the frequency, the radio, and all the other stuff that ham offers is just one side of the big equation.

C W Morse said:
Once one obtains the ticket, (and I realize the perpective is different from the "CB" side of the house), I can't understand what this "freebanding" attraction is. I mean, there actually better performing frequencies than 27 MHZ, and if you can work all these stations LEGALLY, why mess with it?

Well in my case Ismael in Mogi des Cruzes Brazil,Don and Helena in Ali Wal North South Africa,Tyrone in The Bahamas,Kris in Bulawayo Zimbabwe,Godfrey in Gaborone Botswana,Manfred in Glasgow Scotland and several others who I was in REGULAR contact with did not have their ticket.I considered them my friends and was not about to simply walk away.Sure you can say to encourage them to get their ticket but you cannot control what they decide to do or not to do.This was way back before the internet made email and IM etc. a routine thing.As propagation and people's lives changed so too did the routineness of those contacts until the point that I was no longer interested in freeband.That's my story.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.