• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interesting Ham versus freebanders thread on QRZ.com

radiotech said:
Well o'l CW Morse sure started squeeling like a stuck hog when someone mentioned he advertised his antennas on a CB forum !!! LOL !!! I know CW freebands,I know it,if not he sure as heck would not be here so much and advertise his antennas on a mostly CB/freeband forum ! I would be willing to bet CW Morse is running and operating more illegally than anyone knows.Guarenteed !

As to the "freeband" thing, you are full of crap out the wazoo! :) Never DID it, have no need to, and IMHO, 27 MHZ is mostly worthless for REAL DX and exotic contacts. I have simply worked more far away DX on 20 meters than ALL the CB
"freeband" junk combined! Africa, S. Africa, New Zealand (take that, mate), Australia, numerous Pacific islands (Howland, for one), Japan, Hawaii, Russia (Moscow), turning to Europe, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Spain, Portugal, Germany (ein klein Deutch), Sarayevo (sic?), Italy, and Israel in the middle east. Now just WHY would I want to risk my ticket for worthless "freeband"--and I haven't even mentioned the legal authorizations I have for certain Federal and military frequencies, and some of them fall in that "freeband" that some people are so proud of! So I am not ABOUT to fool with no "freeband"! HOSH POSH, "freeband", indeed! :? Spit-TOOEY :!: :p

CWM

I think the attraction is most of the places you mentioned have been contacted in the "freeband" area without a ticket. We know the legal aspect but to share the attraction in itself is comparable and the "freebander" says " why get a ticket when I can talk to the same places without one ? "

The thing about the "freeband" (discussing 27 mhz only), is that the ITU international table of frequency allocations makes no distinction between appropriate use of 27.405 mhz or 27.555 mhz. The entire spectrum up to 28 mhz is simply allocated for "fixed" and "mobile" use. This is a much different designation than the frequency ranges that the ITU has specificly allocated for amateur use. Each country has the ability to allocate the 27 mhz frequencies as they see fit. We have had many threads on this forum over the years about what other countries use for "cb" frequencies. Unlike the U.S., many countries extend quite a bit farther above 27.405 mhz.

While the FCC has many specific frequencies allocated below 28 mhz for specific purposes, they don't publish it well enough for the average person to find the information. Even if you can find a published list, you'll undoubtedly notice that there are quite a few unallocated frequencies. Also, because many countries don't further define or allocate the ITU defination for those frequency ranges and allow for free use, many individuals feel that the U.S. has set artificial "barriers" on their useage and so feel no guilt or remorse about crossing the barrier to do as their international counterparts do. A good analogy is to compare these frequencies to international waters. There are basic treaties in place that are recognized by all countries, but rules that a specific country may make about waters just outside it's territorial boundaries don't always get the respect the country expects. If the FCC really expects to get a handle on freebanding they really should publish more documentation showing what the band allocation is used for, just like the amateurs do for their band plan.

well put, mole can you post up a list of freq's above 27.405 that are allocated for goverment use ??? i know around here quite a few locals talk on the freeband, just because it's alot more quite, now on one point i agree that cb use on freq's above 28 megs is a no-no, i disagree about the freeband being useless, i have made contact to many different countries over the years on 27 mhz, south america to europe, africa, antartica, austraila, japan, etc ............ as crowded as the regular channels are, i feel that the 4o channels above 27.405 should be opened up for regular cb use, you are never gonna keep cb operators of from 10 meters no matter what you do, there will always be guys who wanna push the limits just my nickle ...............

Here's an abbreviated list of frequencies to avoid. There are more there, but this is a "short" list I found on the 'web. You can find them, I think, on FCC's website, but, typical of 'gub'ment', sometimes their website is hard to navigate.

The way, and the intended way for civilians, to obtain access to HF frequencies is still the Amateur ticket. One group in this
list uses one of those "downstairs" frequencies for Search and Rescue. Primarily, they use VHF for air/ground work, but they also use their low-power HF frequencies to relieve stress on the VHF circuits. They serve as "utility" frequencies for mission base ops, flight line walkie talkies, administration, and communications between duty stations. If somebody is yapping on the "freeband", and it interferes with their SAR activities, you *can* get in some serious dutch over it because it involves USAF, FEMA, and other emergency operations. It HAS happened before, and the guy got a big fine plus getting his station seized and destroyed (local area). All it takes is one complaint. :shock:

Just because *YOU* don't hear nuttin', doesn't mean it isn't happening. :?

So, just know there are risks, and when you decide to take them, if you get caught (like the ham in one of the threads) then it is too late.

-----------WARNING-------------
Frequencies To Avoid

25.100 - 26.670 MHz..... these frequencies are used by Broadcast Remotes

26.800 MHz..... Military and Border Patrol.

26.945 MHz..... FAA -STAY CLEAR!!!

27.575 and 27.585 MHz.....why anyone would talk on these frequencies is beyond me - they are used by the FCC, Coast Guard, FAA and just about every U.S. Government Agency for low powered communications.

27.720 MHz..... NASA and Air Force in Florida.

27.750 and 27.785 MHz.....these are both US Navy and US Coast Guard. The reason to stay off these two frequencies would be quite clear if you ever monitor them.

27.870 MHz.....NASA and Air Force in Florida.

27.900 MHz..... used by both the US Army and Navy operations.

27.980 MHz.....U.S. Coast Guard.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.