• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this what receive alignment means ?

FSB:

CB radios are crippled with a locked clarifier; they need not be so. An amateur radio doesn't have that problem. So, to unlock a clarifier on a SSB CB radio is a must. I talk SSB almost exclusively, and I can tell you for a fact that they aren't built with TCXO to keep freq stable, like an amateur radio has. Since they are built cheaply and drift more readily than a Ham radio does, they simply need all the help they can get.

Once I rebuild a radio, I also unlock the clarifier. It doesn't slide much, usually no more than +/-500hz. But I make sure the radio is a solid and stable as I can possibly make it. Not enough freq slide to go between channels - mind you, just enough to allow it to lock in to another lunkhead that thinks his radio is perfectly on freq.
That's it.

I have also talked extensively on the 10m band. Even Ham radios don't agree on freq. Try 28.400mhz call freq and listen to how many people are actually spot-on freq with your radio. You will know that they are all off freq to one degree or another. Although they are built better than a CB, that doesn't mean they can maintain perfect alignment or respond favorably to cooler or warmer temps; they will also change to some degree.

Reactions: bob85
So, for a channel-selector type radio with 10 kHz channel steps only, leaving the radio stock will produce a radio with a random transmit frequency. The trimpot inside the radio can be set only so close to being perfectly on frequency. A two-way conversation is no problem. You just tune each other in with your receive-only clarifiers.

But as soon as a third party tries to join the conversation he'll be twisting his clarifier back and forth each time a different station keys up.

This is what would prompt the old-time "SSB club" guys to run you off of "their" channel if your radio was "stuck" on the wrong transmit frequency. You would be greeted with cries of "Get your radio fixed, and come back then". The alternative was for everyone on the channel to "re-clarify" to YOUR transmit frequency. Never heard those guys volunteer to do that.

The ability to line up four or five stations all on the same transmit frequency is no trick with a VFO-controlled ham radio. But to do it with a channel-selector type radio, you need to unlock the clarifier.

I prefer to call it "locking" the clarifier's transmit frequency to the receiver frequency. A stock legal 40-channel SSB radio is "unlocked" in this sense.

Yeah, semantics.

Bottom line, if you carry on a conversation with more than one station on the same frequency, life is simpler if you don't have to twist a fine-tune knob separately each time a different station keys up.

And if you have a radio that tunes in 1/10-kHz steps, just select a frequency that sounds best with the receive-only clarifier at 12 o'clock. Most SSB operators don't seem to get much closer than 100 Hz to start with. No point to "unlocking" the receive-only fine-tune on a radio like a 2950 where you can tune in 100-Hz steps.

Reference your last paragraph. So the person that sounded good with my clarifier at 12 O clock but my frequency bumped down to 273,848 from 273,850 where he sounded ever so sped up , can he still hear me if I transmitted on 273848 or would I have to go back to 273850 to TX to him?

seems like we mostly agree CB radios should be like HF sets with TX & RX tracking together so everybody can be on the same frequency like HF round tables,

nobody with even half a brain would turn on their clarifier & offset their TX just to be different from the other guys in the net.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Here some truth, there are no nets or roundtables on CB. There are very few real conversations on CB. The ones that do are mostly buddies and have been doing so for years.

The real DX I've heard up on 27.555 you can tell mostly run real HF radios so no drift or tracking problem there.

Channel 38 LSB is mutiple stations calling out numbers simultaneously in the hopes someone will pick them up in a slosh of off frequency signals when the bands hoppin'.

Many lower cost and older HF rigs don't have a TCXO and don't have the drift problem so that part of Robb's justification for modifying doesn't hold water. If I'm not mistaken, his own TS2000 doesn't have a TCXO either. People really should be using better equipment if they prefer SSB. It'll be better for everyone.

The RCI 2900 series, HR2510's, and many people claim the Optima's don't have a drift problem after warm up. None of these have TCXO's yet many people still are compelled to hack the clarifier anyway.

If it's common knowledge that those inferior CB's like the notorious Galaxies drift on SSB, why is anyone wasting their time using them on SSB? Why would you waste your time trying to engage in conversation with out of whack radio's which most likely won't happen other than getting your numbers called?

In most cases, if someone is off frequency, most people will ignore him anyway. The stronger and better sounding stations tend to get more contacts.

It's also true many new radio's OOTB are off frequency some and need some adjusting by someone who can do it right. That would clear up a lot of problems right there along with using a clarifier knob with no pointer marking so people won't get hung up if theirs isn't dead center.

Hmm…

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman and Robb
The ability to line up four or five stations all on the same transmit frequency is no trick with a VFO-controlled ham radio. But to do it with a channel-selector type radio, you need to unlock the clarifier.

I prefer to call it "locking" the clarifier's transmit frequency to the receiver frequency. A stock legal 40-channel SSB radio is "unlocked" in this sense.
NOOOOOOOOO

That is literally the most stupid idea ever as I've stated. Here's why.

Bob's radio is slightly out so on Ch1 whilst it listens on 26.695, instead of transmitting on 26.965 with the clarifier in the 0 position he's transmitting on 26.966. Bill comes along. He hears Bob is slightly out so shifts his unlocked clarifier 1kHz. Bill actually sounded OK to Bob at first but now sounds funny so shifts his clarifier 1kHz. Only problem is that Bob's clarifier is unlocked too so it also ups his TX frequency 1kHz. Bob now sounds out to Bill, Bill moves his clarifier and his TX frequency goes up 1kHz, Bill now sounds out to Bob, Bob moves his clarifier so his TX frequency goes up again so he now sounds off frequency to Bill.

Rinse and repeat until both of their clarifier knobs hits the end stop.

WHEN YOU DON'T DO THIS STUPID instead leaving it as stock so that the clarifier only adjusts the RX....

Bob's radio is slightly out so on Ch1 instead of transmitting on 26.965 he's transmitting on 26.966. Bill comes along with his unmodified radio, hears Bob a bit off frequency and moves his clarifier so its receiving on Ch1 on 26.966 but continues to TX on 26.695 where Bob can hear him just fine. They continue their conversation without chasing each other up and down.

it would work like that chasing each other around if radios worked that way,

THIS IS A MISUNDERSTANDING OF WHAT UNLOCKING CLARIFIERS ACTUALLY DOES,

unlocking clarifiers means the same voltage or very close is sent to the varactors that alter frequency when you adjust the clarifier,

the TX& RX voltage sources are diasbaled and replaced by a fixed regulated voltage source just like a HF set,

it means that TX & RX are always on the same frequency just like a HF set with the clarifier turned off & move together just like a HF set,

CHASING IS A MYTH PARROTED ON FORUMS BY PEOPLE WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW RADIOS WORK,

people that have to send their gear in to get it serviced.

Soooo, For a normal ham HF transceiver the transmit and the receiver frequency are the same, wherever you turn the VFO knob, right?

Sure, most of them come with a "RIT" that allows you to tune the receiver separately, but a 3-way, 4-way or more conversation works best when everyone transmits on the same frequency, right?

Never mind what kind of radio. This is the assumption I'm using.

Reactions: bob85
Here some truth, there are no nets or roundtables on CB. There are very few real conversations on CB. The ones that do are mostly buddies and have been doing so for years.
That just isn't so. True; no nets to speak of. But round tables on SSB/CB do happen around here quite often. They are even on freq with unlocked clarifiers - to boot.

If a tree falls in the forest; does it make a sound or maybe you just weren't there to hear it?

But round tables on SSB/CB do happen around here quite often.
Maybe so in your area, but are they true roundtables where other stations are welcomed and encouraged?

If not, that's just a tight buddy network that meets up every night and usually don't like or welcome newcomers.

it would work like that chasing each other around if radios worked that way,

THIS IS A MISUNDERSTANDING OF WHAT UNLOCKING CLARIFIERS ACTUALLY DOES,

unlocking clarifiers means the same voltage or very close is sent to the varactors that alter frequency when you adjust the clarifier,

the TX& RX voltage sources are diasbaled and replaced by a fixed regulated voltage source just like a HF set,

it means that TX & RX are always on the same frequency just like a HF set with the clarifier turned off & move together just like a HF set,

CHASING IS A MYTH PARROTED ON FORUMS BY PEOPLE WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW RADIOS WORK,

people that have to send their gear in to get it serviced.
A real tech who understands radio's wouldn't do a hack job on a TX/RX circuit, he would align it correctly.

Just cause other radio's are inferior by unstable SSB and being out of alignment, you feel it's appropriate to lower your radio standards to theirs just so you can communicate with them?

Geez!

Let them get their radio fixed correctly since it's apparent they can't do it themselves. If not, chase them off SSB and let them run on AM til they wise up.

Reactions: Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.