• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KLV-1000 - Junk - or not . . .

Funny you mention this amp, guy brought one over today. It was a 1 driving 4 EL509's. Guy changed radios and didn't flip the antenna switch. He had a 2995 he put into it, well the amp works, but won't do but 100W average. But it easily oscillates to 800 pep. Told him, he is going to have to buy 5 new tubes. Input was thru the roof. Would not tune any better than a 4.5 :1 input swr. You have to baby these and they will last awhile. He had it 3 years and no trouble, but Overload the front just once and its down for the count. Screws for the plate chokes we're loose and arcing. 2 of the clamps for the anodes , the solder gave way and clamps fell off. That is what I found today. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's what I found today.

Funny you mention this amp, guy brought one over today. It was a 1 driving 4 EL509's. Guy changed radios and didn't flip the antenna switch. He had a 2995 he put into it, well the amp works, but won't do but 100W average. But it easily oscillates to 800 pep. Told him, he is going to have to buy 5 new tubes. Input was thru the roof. Would not tune any better than a 4.5 :1 input swr. You have to baby these and they will last awhile. He had it 3 years and no trouble, but Overload the front just once and its down for the count. Screws for the plate chokes we're loose and arcing. 2 of the clamps for the anodes , the solder gave way and clamps fell off. That is what I found today. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's what I found today.

Wonder what you'll find tomorrow?

I can't relate to the "issues" you mentioned in your reply... I have had none with this amp but that may be because it has never been abused. My KLV has been re-tubed one time less than a year ago and that was to replace the original tubes...

All amps do that. Clean signal with lower output and shitty signal when you drive the snot out of them.

They can be clean but only if run well below maximum output. Remember this amp only has a total final plate dissipation of around something equal to a single 572B. What would you expect a single 572B to sound like at 500+ watts out? I'll give you a hint: It's brown and circles the bowl when the little handle is pressed. :whistle:

That's because it's a CB amp with all the caveats that go along with them. Real hams run real HAM amps. Not trying to be snooty or anything but that's the truth. There is a reason why ham amps cost more and have a lot more parts than a CB amp.

Your money will be wiser spent on a REAL ham amp.
Gotta say....Captian Killowatt.....you will never again be SO CORRECT!! It's a CB amp. Begin and all else. As with all the "CB" designed amps....it's a cheap sweep tube amp. It's "ok" for a little "boost" on a CB at nominal power levels....but ALL sweep tube amps choke on the biscut when you attempt to drive them even normally. If you're running HF frequencies....and you want to run glass....ALWAYS stick with the tetrode tube. It's just how it's done. Don't get me wrong...I'm not being snooty either....I ran a D&A Maverick 250 for years on 11 meters. Yeah....it did some wattage....yeah....it was loud....but "clean".....not so much. Got my ticket....got an FL2100B...then moved up to a Kenwood TL 922....the comparison is non existent. But to stay in the monetary range of the post.....yep....SB 200 is awesome! The SB 220 is MORE awesome....but then we're creeping up in the monetary again. FL 2100 B, or SB 200. ABSOLUTELY!!

They do makes great boat anchors though. With one exception, they suck so bad they stay stuck to the bottom and you have to cut your anchor line.
I have five of them given to me and I have not even tested them to see if they work.

Reactions: Crusher and 222DBFL
. If you're running HF frequencies....and you want to run glass....ALWAYS stick with the tetrode tube. It's just how it's done. Don't get me wrong...I'm not being snooty either
. Got my ticket....got an FL2100B...then moved up to a Kenwood TL 922....the comparison is non existent. But to stay in the monetary range of the post.....yep....SB 200 is awesome! The SB 220 is MORE awesome....but then we're creeping up in the monetary again. FL 2100 B, or SB 200. ABSOLUTELY!!

All the above amps use TRIODE tubes not Tetrode,
Nothing wrong with a triode, GG configuration and cathode driven, little bit of bias and works fine.
FL2100B is prone to oscillations due to the marginal cutoff bias design, once modded they are pretty stable, SB200 is a great table top work horse
.NONE of the above are designed for AM operations.

Reactions: 222DBFL
All the above amps use TRIODE tubes not Tetrode,
Nothing wrong with a triode, GG configuration and cathode driven, little bit of bias and works fine.
FL2100B is prone to oscillations due to the marginal cutoff bias design, once modded they are pretty stable, SB200 is a great table top work horse
.NONE of the above are designed for AM operations.

i have a klv 350 tube amp with the meters.
actually i forgot i had it. never used it. still in the box.

They can be clean but only if run well below maximum output. Remember this amp only has a total final plate dissipation of around something equal to a single 572B. What would you expect a single 572B to sound like at 500+ watts out? I'll give you a hint: It's brown and circles the bowl when the little handle is pressed. :whistle:[/QUOTE said:
I've been amazed by people telling me that an SB-200 or FL-2100B will do 1000-1200 watts out. Um, no.

Brett

If you're running HF frequencies....and you want to run glass....ALWAYS stick with the tetrode tube. It's just how it's done. Don't get me wrong...I'm not being snooty either....I ran a D&A Maverick 250 for years on 11 meters. Yeah....it did some wattage....yeah....it was loud....but "clean".....not so much. Got my ticket....got an FL2100B...then moved up to a Kenwood TL 922....the comparison is non existent. But to stay in the monetary range of the post.....yep....SB 200 is awesome! The SB 220 is MORE awesome....but then we're creeping up in the monetary again. FL 2100 B, or SB 200. ABSOLUTELY!!

But the funny thing is that your TL-922 has TRIODES in it. Those 3-500Z's are triodes and are the most popular high power glass tubes out there in the amateur market. Those 572B's are triodes as well. In fact pretty much all high power amps do use triodes be they 572B's, 3-500Z or 3CX800A7 or 3CX1200 or the 3CX1500.Tetrodes and pentodes offer much higher gain but they are also much easier to over-drive because of that and as such are more prone to sounding like crap in the hands of the mo-powa crowd. Triodes can have more gain if grid driven as well instead of grounded grid but the grounded grid is an inherently stable design at HF.

I've been amazed by people telling me that an SB-200 or FL-2100B will do 1000-1200 watts out. Um, no.

Brett

Most people do not understand input versus output nor do they understand that amps used to be rated by INPUT power and not OUTPUT. They drive the crap out of them to make that 1+ Kw that they think the amp is rated for.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.