• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S9-175

The s9's are nice and stable if tuned NOT for maximum output, you over tune and u start having TX problems. i'd keep the amp and save up for a magnum radio.....IMO :) good luck

The s9's are nice and stable if tuned NOT for maximum output, you over tune and u start having TX problems. i'd keep the amp and save up for a magnum radio.....IMO :) good luck
Precisely!
This is the case for any and all radios. No professional technician will "peak & tune" a radio. It is never required. Any radio is ready to go right out of the box. Peaking and tuning stresses the radio. The engineers who designed the radio, and the factory techs who aligned it know what they're doing. I have no idea why so-called CB shop techs and users second guess the original engineers.

Every radio I own is dead stock, and every radio I own works well, and has given excellent service. Other than a small tweak of the modulation audio, all my radios are dead stock. And those tweaks were done on a scope with a proper service monitor. But then, I know what I'm doing.

Peaking and tuning stresses the radio.
I wouldn't go that far. Peaking a resonant circuit allows it to operate more efficiently, and do it cooler. Radios from the factory are some times not shipped as spot on, but are "good enough" and can benefit from a peak and tune ........ which is not to be confused with a "hot rod tune up".

Reactions: 1 person
Peaking a resonant circuit allows it to operate more efficiently, and do it cooler. .
really?

just my IMO.
i really do doubt that. a simple touch of the modulation is all that may be needed in a brand new OEM radio. pushing the limits of the Finals and or pre-final stage only creates more heat ...Saying to push the envelope passed its point
800px-Resonance.PNG
heat heat heat. sorry just my IMO. if the Magnum 175 does more than 175 all that is is splatter jungle on the scope.

on topic, i would NOT trade a ts500v for a magnum radio period. after owning 4 of them and 1 out of 4 being "Just ok". its just not my pick. but it is up to you and your $$$ @ IDIeselman. good luck

also, it may seem like your getting the deal and the other is not. truthfully its a not a deal..

I wouldn't go that far. Peaking a resonant circuit allows it to operate more efficiently, and do it cooler. Radios from the factory are some times not shipped as spot on, but are "good enough" and can benefit from a peak and tune ........ which is not to be confused with a "hot rod tune up".
True, if you're looking for maximum efficiency at a specific frequency, or if you operate in a narrow portion of the spectrum. But if you want the maximum bandwidth that the radios are capable of, I prefer to leave them stock. Since I operate on the whole of 10M, as well as the CB, I like my radios fairly broad-banded. I have never noticed any deficiencies in TX power or receive sensitivity in my stock radios. I have found that peaking a radio narrows the bandwidth.

I think a 'peak and tune' is a term that is often misused. When a radio is aligned 'by the book'; it should be - only then - considered to be 'peaked and tuned'. I think 'full alignment' is the term that should be used, and should be performed.

'Peaking' is usually the most misunderstood word and often used out of context. One can peak the receive coils, the transmit coils, power output, and modulation. When power output is beyond the scale of specs; then failure may occur due to over heating of the final transistors, and replacement becomes necessary. Modulation can also add to this same dilemma. Keeping the radio within specs is its best bet to operate optimally and keep failure from occurring.

One can never get too much receive when peaking; but one can have it adjusted too low. This can happen when not using the prescribed equipment for the job.

The transmit coils are used to match the radios output impedance and this adjustment will allow for maximum output. There is nothing wrong with peaking these coils; as this is desirable to do. Part of the alignment process. However, so long as the carrier output is corrected to the prescribed level after the transmit coils have been peaked, only then is it properly 'peaked'. Once the carrier level is set to the 4 watts (for any single final radio); then the modulation must be adjusted to see 16 watts peak output on AM. This will ensure a 4:1 ratio of peak power (16 watts peak) to carrier power (4 watts). If you can't get 4 watts to 16 watts peak; then turning the final output down to 3 watts and then turning the modulation up until 12 watts peak - can be done in its place. So long as the 4:1 ratio is kept intact, it is fine and little to no difference can be noticed by a receiving station.

'Tuning' implies the adjustment of the PLL circuit, final/driver bias current, and perhaps other voltage points that MUST be set to specs by the book. Tuning is critical for a radio in order for it to be on frequency and to ensure that at no point the voltages/scope peaks are too low or high. These adjustments will not make more power. They are either set right or wrong. This can have bad consequences as well; as they must all be in spec.

The alignment process must also be done in a specific order. Because many adjustments rely upon the previous step done correctly for the next step to fall into its proper place.

Next time you send your radio to a shop; be specific as to what you need in order to get what you pay for. You will always be better off with a full alignment - than merely a 'peak job'.

When operators re-tune the modulation and power output for the highest peak output, then it may well cause distortion and device overload. Magnum radios don't use bipolar final transistors any more, as they use MOSFET type devices. The output tuning for these radios are different and best left for a authorized tech to do. They really don't need to have the modulation turned up; as they have a mic compressor circuit installed in all of their radios (as well as a special AM modulation circuit too). Never seen a Magnum radio that lacked for AM modulation. Usually, it is the other way around and need to be turned down a little bit. This is done by simply adjusting the Mic Gain down a little bit and checking it with another station that you know and trust for a radio check.

AS far as the S9 Magnum is concerned, just keep the RF Output knob turned down. Just because the speedometer on my car reads 130mph at the top end of the scale; it doesn't mean that I should run it that high all of the time. My engine and drive train will last longer of I keep it at 75 mph. So it is true for any radio with an adjustable RF Output - to keep it set less than full output - and so with the S9 Magnum as well . . .

Last edited:
i have only heard one s9 or s9-175 sound good on ssb....i have only heard one rci2950 or 2950dx or 2970 or 2970dx sound bad,and thats because the had a bad echo mic on it....the mag257 and 257hp are great...73s de JW

True, if you're looking for maximum efficiency at a specific frequency, or if you operate in a narrow portion of the spectrum. But if you want the maximum bandwidth that the radios are capable of, I prefer to leave them stock. Since I operate on the whole of 10M, as well as the CB, I like my radios fairly broad-banded. I have never noticed any deficiencies in TX power or receive sensitivity in my stock radios. I have found that peaking a radio narrows the bandwidth.
You may be right, I'm no radio guru. But I'm thinking the Q of the circuit is already build in and peaking the resonance *shouldn't* make the circuit more narrow. But that's a guess.

I don't have an S9-175 yet; mine is on order. However, it is microprocessor controlled, and I have not heard any complaints about the stability. I intend to use mine on both AM and SSB. Since it has many of the same features as the S45HP, it should be winning performer on both modes.

In reality, I need these 10M/export radios like I need a hole in the head. But my buddy Mike, VA3MPM and I have a friendly competition to see who can collect the most big 10M radios. This is a running joke with us. Not sure who's winning. We both have S45HP's, Superstar SS158EDX's, General Grants, HR2510's. He has several AT5555 variants (two AT5555 and two Alpha 10 Max 1000). I have one, and we are both ordering the CRT SS69000 (because it's cheap). We both need that rig like we need a stroke! :D (You can never have enough 10M/export radios!!!) I will have the S9-175, and the RCI Ranger 69FFC2, which he does not.

I will have all my 10M/export radios set up on a separate desk with a hutch/shelving unit to hold all the radios. The bottom line: He who dies with the most radios wins! ;) We are both highly experienced hams (me, 42 years, him, 25 years). Some locals hams think we are deranged, "playing with those CB's!!!". Yeah... it's called fun! They should try it some time! (Bunch of Pecksniffs!)

This does not include my amateur radios - several HF transceivers, 6M all mode radios, 2M all mode radios, and lot's of AM boat anchors, big "heavy metal" rigs, boat anchor receivers, big high-power AM transmitters, and some broadcast rigs, tuned to the ham bands. etc. Lot's of gear!!! The shack fills up my entire basement rec room, with three large desks full of gear, tall 19" racks, etc. (Pictures to come.)

Ed, when you receive your S9-175 would you do a review on it. The only review I have seen on youtube only goes to the description/features rather than a working review.

Bruce

Ed, when you receive your S9-175 would you do a review on it. The only review I have seen on youtube only goes to the description/features rather than a working review. Bruce
Would be happy to. I also have a new RCI Ranger 69FFC2 which I have to install. We'll review that one too.

I have to say I have run the gammet with all these radios in the last 3 to 4 years, still here in my shack are a Magnum Omega Force, Delta Force, 357, Connex CX566SB, gone are 2950 2950DX 2970Dx 2985DX S9 all which had some kind of issue that bothered me to the point of selling them. It might be my location but all the RCI radios had an issue with a funny recieve noise, I have read about it being called white noise, whatever it is it bothered me enough to sell them all, the S9 would move around a little on SSB frequency wise, I bought it new and had it twice to factory repair places for issues and it still would drift just a little, that bothered me, the Omega Force, Delta Force and 357 stay dead on frequency cold to hot, no clairfier tuning unless someone else was off frequency. 99% of my radio time is done on SSB. The Connex is off by about 4kc when cold but after 10 minutes or so it gets on center slot and stays there, now tell why a almost 400 dollar S9 would drift but a 200 dollar Connex stays dead on after warming up? Just my 2 cents

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.