• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S9-175

The OmegaForce S45HP, the Magnum 257HP and some others use an integral uP that drives a frequency display directly. Those radios do not use a frequency counter; what you are looking at is a frequency display. Those radios that use a frequency display, use a slightly different technique to generate the frequencies, and are less susceptible to drift. One way to reduce drift is to use high quality components in the oscillators, and clarifier circuits, which the aforementioned radios do, as does the S9-175.

Often what one sees as "drift" is nothing but the counter drifting, while the radio remains stable.

Amateur HF radios use DDS (direct digital synthesis), and a high stability TCXO oscillator to generate their frequencies.

Last edited:
magnum S-9

I think you have hit the nail on the head Ed, 'most' of what we are seeing on the display is counter drift, especially in a mobile situation.
One should not get two focused on the counter when operating SSB with this board as you will always clarify the incoming station no matter what....and of course the counter will change.
The S-45 and 257 are displays...They won't move till the channel selector tells them to. But they are a newer and more stable method of reading the frequency.
Rgds,
Dave

But they are a newer and more stable method of reading the frequency.
Rgds,
Dave

that could also read, less accurate method of reading the frequency.

give me a jumpy about real frequency counter anyday. if the radio has been setup poorly a counter will show it, a display won't.

Often what one sees as "drift" is nothing but the counter drifting, while the radio remains stable.

unless your using a piss poor counter that's highly unlikely with cb's, sure counters can drift, but i bet a large proportion are more stable than cb's.

you might well see it with hf radios though, even some without tcxo's, but export cb's thrown together in some far east sweatshop?

I know the radios I mentioned have just a display and not a real counter like the S9 what I am saying is the 257, Omega and Delta Force radios just stay on frequency cold to hot the S9 did NOT. I would have to fiddle with the clairfier all the time the others I didn't have to move squat listening to my regular guys

dont like any

magaums but the 257 and 257hp...my best going radio is 2950dx and 2970dx and 2980wx.They have rpt boffsets...and can add a tone board...and vrci is very good on warrenty service...bought a radio from copper,had a 40wt caqrrier on usb/lsb and called rci,the said send it to9 them,that was on a Monday and it was back fo0r free Fiday,very good service...73s de n0zna

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.