• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mars Cap Mod?

I do not know how your ft450d will be set up but mine came from mtc with main call freq's for each band pre-programmed in.

Outside the VHF and UHF bands there are no call frequencies on the HF bands. There are frequencies that are commonplace for different modes like 14.230 for the 20m SSTV frequency and there are DX windows on various bands like 3780-3800 on 8m but there are really no such frequencies that we would refer to as call frequencies. Certainly not like what would be found on 11m anyway where someone just sits there calling and looking for a random contact.

Outside the VHF and UHF bands there are no call frequencies on the HF bands. There are frequencies that are commonplace for different modes like 14.230 for the 20m SSTV frequency and there are DX windows on various bands like 3780-3800 on 8m but there are really no such frequencies that we would refer to as call frequencies. Certainly not like what would be found on 11m anyway where someone just sits there calling and looking for a random contact.
DX windows.....is what I was meaning but used the wrong wording, sorry.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I can already see it is gonna take some time for me to get used to this type of radio. Although it sounds like fun!!! even if I can only listen for now..

I can already see it is gonna take some time for me to get used to this type of radio. Although it sounds like fun!!! even if I can only listen for now..
I'll tell ya, I'm still have'n one H!@@ of a time with the "contour","notch", "dnr".
I have the "width" down, and for the most part the "shift" but sometimes the "shift" with the ""width" I find hard to get to play....with my ear...I'm getting it but it takes time and I contest a lot on 11 meters and with the way it is now, its hit and miss. By the way Sugar Delta just started a new world contest last weekend.

I'll tell ya, I'm still have'n one H!@@ of a time with the "contour","notch", "dnr".
I have the "width" down, and for the most part the "shift" but sometimes the "shift" with the ""width" I find hard to get to play....with my ear...I'm getting it but it takes time and I contest a lot on 11 meters and with the way it is now, its hit and miss. By the way Sugar Delta just started a new world contest last weekend.

Go into the menu and set the contour level to +6. Next adjust the contour to around 2000Hz. You'll find it makes the clarity of SSB better.

Notch you only really use when you've got something like a muppet keying up on CW to tune their amp.

DNR I've found on Yaesus you don't really want to go higher than 2 or 3. Go too high and it gives a warble to the received audio which can make it harder to understand.

You also have an attenuator. If your S meter is showing more than S1/S2 with no received signal use the attenuator. Sounds contrary to reduce gain to increase the ability to hear signals but what you do is increase the dynamic range of the radio, you just have to turn up the volume knob a bit on SSB.

Reactions: 222DBFL
It takes time and a lot of effort to get your radio dialed in the way you will completely like it, and even after that you'll still play with it to see what it does or how it makes the received audio sound. Having a good set of speakers is another key thing as well. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get one or even 2, but they should have a good frequency curve for the entire low to high range. You can actually find some good stuff at the Thrift Stores. Just some food for thought. It took me a while to get my Icom 746 setup the way I like it and to be able to pull in far off stations or remove noise, and still keep a good sound. And yes I read the heck out of the manual and still reference it after having the radio nearly 2.5yrs!!! I am pretty sure M0GVZ gave you a really good spot to set things. Much props for that M0GVZ. Nothing like helping someone with things like that!! I never use my preamp and have my radio setup pretty good. And yes I use the attenuation!! If anyone has a good tip on the Icom 746 by all means don't be shy sharing either!!:whistle:;):D
And Undertaker, take your time setting up the radio. It's well worth the effort for sure. Have a great day to all and enjoy what it left of the DX out there!!

Reactions: Mudduckmobile

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.