• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modified Vector 4000

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

dwb that looks very strange because i am used to seeing a shorter radial sleeve with wider radial angle,
the gamma strap position also looks very odd but it fits what happens with open sleeve antennas,
as you move the radial sleeve closer to the central monopole impedance goes down and resonant frequency of both sleeve and monopole moves up for the same physical length elements,

sirio claim an upgraded lower angle of radiation and seem to be employing the same techniques used in beam tilting sleeve monopoles, sirio certainly understand the principles involved as they make 3/4wave vhf/uhf sleeve antennas with the same claimed gain and radiation angles slightly above @ or below 0 degrees,

did it work on the new vector as it apears to work for me and shockwave when we make the adjustments for maximum signals at distance? the proof is in the testing(y)

bump just bringing this backup. ve read elsewere that this particilar antenna
is the ideal antenna to have when ya live down in a valley or in a hole
me being down in the valley got me curious.plus see a couple other have
bought this antenna wondering if they set it up yet.and if so how they like it

that assumption is based on the misconception that it is a common j-pole with higher radiation angle than a 5/8wave, that is incorrect but that does not mean it cannot be adjusted to give a higher more suitable radiation angle, they were right but for the wrong reasons;)

yes i had one up at 73feet to feedpoint in the early 80's when i was a young lad at colledge,
they were as rare as rockinghorse shit over here because they were so expensive at 10x the price of a halfwave endfed and a huge eyesore to anybody that dont love antennas, i only ever spoke to one other guy using the big-mac
i sold it for £50 to buy my then new girlfriend a birthday present and kept my sigma4,
i have had just about every decent antenna available here since then but i still have the same woman so it was a VERY good investment in the long run;)

Reactions: freecell
yes i had one up at 73feet to feedpoint in the early 80's when i was a young lad at colledge,
they were as rare as rockinghorse shit over here because they were so expensive at 10x the price of a halfwave endfed and a huge eyesore to anybody that dont love antennas, i only ever spoke to one other guy using the big-mac
i sold it for £50 to buy my then new girlfriend a birthday present and kept my sigma4,
i have had just about every decent antenna available here since then but i still have the same woman so it was a VERY good investment in the long run;)
:cry: I love a story with a happy ending.

r&r dxer
they are the same antenna, only the usa dealers use the lw-150 name possibly because people are familiar with that name harking back to the infamous larry lw-150 that nobody seems to have any pics of or info on,
the people i know that bought one in the usa received a vector 4000,

there are however two versions of vector the old 7/8 long and the new 3/4wave short,
later versions use a shorter monopole with wire ball and longer radial sleeve which sirio claim provides a lower radiation angle,
not having tested the new against stock old vector i cant tell you which works best,

hope this helps.

r&r dxer
they are the same antenna, only the usa dealers use the lw-150 name possibly because people are familiar with that name harking back to the infamous larry lw-150 that nobody seems to have any pics of or info on,
the people i know that bought one in the usa received a vector 4000,

there are however two versions of vector the old 7/8 long and the new 3/4wave short,
later versions use a shorter monopole with wire ball and longer radial sleeve which sirio claim provides a lower radiation angle,
not having tested the new against stock old vector i cant tell you which works best,

hope this helps.

Bob, I don't know if this is the LW 150 you comment about above, but this is what I have on the topic. Maybe it will help. This is one of the two Sigmas that my no good buddy threw away recently. Maybe you remember me telling you about that story.

Saliut LW 150 documents 1-1.jpg

Saliut LW 150 documents 1-2.jpg

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
hello eddie,
yes i have seen the cte saliut instructions on cbtricks, we called them saliut 27,
it looks identical to the old style vector 4000, same 9.5mtr length too, nothing like the gold anodised larry lw-150 with barrel connectors between sections that 007 had,

i would like to find out more about the larry antenna but they are rather elusive just like my old polaris comet which was a heavy duty version of the jogunn star beams supposedly built for canadian weather, i cannot find any history on those either.

Bump.
Anything newsworthy to report from anyone?

Jeff

I guess it's finished Jeff. :sad:

I'm not sure, but I think DWB and/or Mac, one or both, had or have their Vectors already up for sale---at bargain basement prices. So, I guess they're not happy, cause I haven't heard any results either. Or, maybe they're both happy, but need money. Or maybe they're unhappy cause they could not finger' out how to assembled these monsters, even though Bob speaks very highly of both gentlemen. So, I'm not sure. Do you hear an echo? :unsure:

The common complaint I hear on-air in this area is: "...that the Vectors don't have good ears, while other's praise them for being quiet." maybe that is the same difference. With all the CB BS we get around here, I've been afraid to ask, :eek: so, I'm not sure. I heard an echo again. :w00t:

I did get Shockwave's measurements for one of the antennas he got the best gain with. I saw a regular Vector and a wide angle one that looked to have shorter legs that were wide apart and I think that is the one with the best gain. However, I was thinking he repeatedly talked about using longer radials with wide angle to get more gain, so I'm not sure. Echo again. :whistle:

I recall SW and Bob discussing the hoop fitting the antenna when the radials were made longer. The oem hoop would not fit so SW had to make a new one. I wondered why dosen't he just test the radial lengths without the loop until the best radial length is determined and then come back later and fix the loop that gets him the same results. But, I'm not sure. :bdh:

I've re-read this thread again and again, and with all the antennas and different models being discussed, I'm not sure I could logically describe the information given, and I sure wouldn't try to paraphrase. I've had some questions, but again was afraid to ask! :eek: So, I'm not sure. :confused:

I don't get near the static crashes that I got with the .64 gp so I guess you can say it's quieter than the .64 but as far as hearing stations I thinks its as good or better than the .64 and I only base this on the fact that the only contacts I've made with it are dx contacts as I have no one within 50 miles of me with a stationary rig so until I or my son can go out and take readings it's all I have to work with.

Happy with the antenna? very yes and it seems to have a decreased wind profile compared to the .64 for the fact I believe is the lack of the 2 coil sections for when the wind pulls one the antenna the coils make for a larger profile the more the vertical goes horizontal.

The .64 is an excellent antenna and will make an excellent addition to some ones setup as I have it up for sale here, I might consider reinstalling it but me being the lazy cunt I'm accused of by another forum member I will continue to work the Vector 4000.

"Ringo: Dear Sally, in response to your letter of December the twelfth, 1966, me favourite colour is blue, and me real first name is Richard. Thanks for the snapshot, you’re a real cute bird. Love, Ringo. P.S. forgive the lateness of my reply."

Last edited:
I don't get near the static crashes that I got with the .64 gp so I guess you can say it's quieter than the .64 but as far as hearing stations I thinks its as good or better than the .64 and I only base this on the fact that the only contacts I've made with it are dx contacts as I have no one within 50 miles of me with a stationary rig so until I or my son can go out and take readings it's all I have to work with.

Happy with the antenna? very yes and it seems to have a decreased wind profile compared to the .64 for the fact I believe is the lack of the 2 coil sections for when the wind pulls one the antenna the coils make for a larger profile the more the vertical goes horizontal.

The .64 is an excellent antenna and will make an excellent addition to some ones setup as I have it up for sale here, I might consider reinstalling it but me being the lazy cunt I'm accused of by another forum member I will continue to work the Vector 4000.

Mac, after I posted I noticed the index and realized you were selling the .64 and not your Vector. I have a .64 that I had up a few months some time back and took it down. I got sick and did not mess with it for several years and when I reinstalled it 2-3 years ago something was wrong, it showed a short. I took it down again due to a storm and never checked it out.

Earlier, I did compare it side by side with my I-10K @ 35' to feed point and the .64 @ 33' to feed point and the .64 averaged 8.2 to 8.1 Sunits on my Signal Reports in my album here on WWRF. I also got numerous reports during that test period that the audio on the .64 was better of the two. Can't explain that however. This is the only antenna that I have that was physically longer than the other antenna I was comparing at the time, that showed a stronger average signal report when it did better than my I-10K. In all the other tests with the tip points at the same height, the shortests antenna physically always make a better average signal report.

If you can figure out how to tune the Vector for gain, a little like Bob does his, the Vector should work as well or better IMO. I don't think Bob is sure about that one as yet, I think it has longer radials and may have an angle a bit closer to the radiator, but not sure. Have you talked to him about this install?

The Vector also has much better symmetry of construction and design which has got to be a plus with the pattern.

As a note, I never really tried to tune the .64 for gain. I set it according to the instructions, the SWR was good, and I never looked back. Since I think that Wolf antenna is a true collinear, it probably needs to be well tuned like the Vector in order to produce the max gain.

Good luck, if a big wind comes, just take the antenna down.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.