• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new 10k base antenna pic

Key blanket, Kale and Booty Monster were just relating a story of what Kale has done with some antennas he made. Where is the money issue you are so bent out of shape about?

I have thought about how one of these coil type antennas would react with an effective ground plane up about 30' high also. I wonder if a well-designed coil would help control the reactance and allow us to feed at the base with a 50 ohm match? Is it possible to find 50 ohms of resistance at resonance in a ¼ wave whip without changing the nature of the antenna?

I can get close, but I find it a bit difficult to do with a 1/4 wave SS whip even with small extensions trying to add reactance and still reach resonance at 50 ohms impedance. I believe the reason is because the 50 ohms point of resistance in a resonant 1/4 element is not quite at the open end bottom where we typically feed it, and when we add inductive reactance to overcome the capacitance that a 102" whip shows, the 50 ohm tap point moves and we have no control over that placement unless we change the nature of the whip to some form of matching device in series with the element. So my question was, how do guys ever reach the magic flat match everyone talks about with a 1/4 wave whip?

I find in a 1/4 wave whip tuned to resonance in 11 meters, that about the best resistance you will find at the base is in the area of 35 ohms and if you do anything more to reach pure resistive and move the resistance up towards 50 ohms you are just adding loss to do so. If this is so, then maybe a coil, if effective, can do what it takes to overcome this result. If not, then maybe it is better to live with a bit of reactance and try for 50 ohms of resistance for our match. For me, such results must lower the radiation resistance in the radiator a bit and that probably is not a positive. So, we have to find another way of affecting reactance in the whip and still keep a 50 ohm tap point at the base. Could it be that a coil in series with the radiator can do this? Maybe Kale can tell us if that is what he finds with his technical approach to antennas. And if so, does this then make up for some of the shortcomings for a shortened radiator.

Blanket, if I were going to do the project being discussed here, I too would do it differently. But, I would like to hear some more about results and factors affecting those results, rather than your pathetic words about what you think personally about Kale, his antennas, his idea, and how much money it cost.

Check under the blanket and see if there is a burr there.

Blanket if you think CB people are such retards why waste your time here? Granted there are some but some hams fall under that that catagory also. I am not questioning what you know. All I can say is you could learn alot from Beetle. Im sure at times he would like to act like you and snap on people for some of the things they ask but answers with great information and does not act like a jerk! As for Kale his antennas speak for themselves.If he wants to see how a base antenna works built out of his mobile antennas I dont see how it concerns you. He didnt even post it. And said nothing about selling them. I build a few basic antennas just fooling around. Do you have a problem with that? I have talked all over the world with some equipment you would consider junk im sure.

Beetle's cool.

I like Kales antennas.

That "base" antenna is a waste of money. Four 75 dollar antennas to make a 1/4 wave ground plane? 300$ for that?

Blanket is telling it like it is, that's how I see it.

Look at all the stupid, useless and overpriced crap at any truck stop.

Look at all the butcher Techs out there, making $$$$ from ripping out parts with pliers and nail clippers, then sticking 3$ worth of parts in.

That's not what I think of the guys who take the time to join a forum to learn, but the uninformed make up a very significant part of what you hear on the radio every day.

I had a spare 27" shaft that I mad a base antenna out of a couple years ago. I had a ground plane from an old clr2 and used the ground radials from an old starduster I had. It worked really well believe it or not. I kinda slapped it together pretty quick.

Picture015.jpg

Some facts.

Coils are lossy, doesn't matter what they are, how they are made. Just a fact that's not possible to get around. If you have a choice, not using a coil is 'better' than using one. Because of a lot of reasons, that "choice" isn't always up to the end user.

There are two steps in 'matching' any antenna. The least amount of reactance is desirable. That means adding some 'opposite' reactance to neutralize what's already there is an option. The other thing is matching whatever the antenna's 'resistance' is to the feed line and transmitter. That can means raising or lowering the antenna's apparent resistance. All of the above done with the least amount of loss possible. That 'loss' thingy is usually the product of 'how' you get there, how the matching is done. While there can certainly be some fairly 'large' losses, in general, they don't amount to a lot so they are 'acceptable'.
An antenna's length determines resonance to a very large extent. That length is a combination of physical length and electrical length. If either or a combination of both are at lest 'close', then the thing is probably gonna be resonant. The 'other side' of that characteristic is that antenna length also determines it's radiation pattern. "Full sized" antennas will radiate a 'better', or more classic pattern for that type antenna than a 'shortened' version will. The difference between the two is determined by how much the short one was shortened. Shortys typically have less range than the long ones. Another fact of life, doesn't matter if you/I believe it or not. "Momma-Nature" says it's that way, you argue with her if you want, I'm 'chicken'!

And lastly, "What am I selling?". Doesn't matter, ~no one~ can afford me. In other words, I don't 'sell' anything. I might give something away, but that's not very common, I'm too cheap.
- 'Doc

Marconi said:
Key blanket, Kale and Booty Monster were just relating a story of what Kale has done with some antennas he made. Where is the money issue you are so bent out of shape about?

I have thought about how one of these coil type antennas would react with an effective ground plane up about 30' high also. I wonder if a well-designed coil would help control the reactance and allow us to feed at the base with a 50 ohm match? Is it possible to find 50 ohms of resistance at resonance in a ¼ wave whip without changing the nature of the antenna?

I can get close, but I find it a bit difficult to do with a 1/4 wave SS whip even with small extensions trying to add reactance and still reach resonance at 50 ohms impedance. I believe the reason is because the 50 ohms point of resistance in a resonant 1/4 element is not quite at the open end bottom where we typically feed it, and when we add inductive reactance to overcome the capacitance that a 102" whip shows, the 50 ohm tap point moves and we have no control over that placement unless we change the nature of the whip to some form of matching device in series with the element. So my question was, how do guys ever reach the magic flat match everyone talks about with a 1/4 wave whip?

I find in a 1/4 wave whip tuned to resonance in 11 meters, that about the best resistance you will find at the base is in the area of 35 ohms and if you do anything more to reach pure resistive and move the resistance up towards 50 ohms you are just adding loss to do so. If this is so, then maybe a coil, if effective, can do what it takes to overcome this result. If not, then maybe it is better to live with a bit of reactance and try for 50 ohms of resistance for our match. For me, such results must lower the radiation resistance in the radiator a bit and that probably is not a positive. So, we have to find another way of affecting reactance in the whip and still keep a 50 ohm tap point at the base. Could it be that a coil in series with the radiator can do this? Maybe Kale can tell us if that is what he finds with his technical approach to antennas. And if so, does this then make up for some of the shortcomings for a shortened radiator.

Blanket, if I were going to do the project being discussed here, I too would do it differently. But, I would like to hear some more about results and factors affecting those results, rather than your pathetic words about what you think personally about Kale, his antennas, his idea, and how much money it cost.

Check under the blanket and see if there is a burr there.
Marconi, would you email me at cowtown10k@msn.com or call me at 817-790-6239? Kale

74IN said:
Beetle's cool.

I like Kales antennas.

That "base" antenna is a waste of money. Four 75 dollar antennas to make a 1/4 wave ground plane? 300$ for that?

Blanket is telling it like it is, that's how I see it.

Look at all the stupid, useless and overpriced crap at any truck stop.

Look at all the butcher Techs out there, making $$$$ from ripping out parts with pliers and nail clippers, then sticking 3$ worth of parts in.

That's not what I think of the guys who take the time to join a forum to learn, but the uninformed make up a very significant part of what you hear on the radio every day.
Marconi, money would be the last thing I would ever think about when I put this antenna together. Money has nothing to do with this topic. I didn't post the picture. The antenna works better for me than the 6 element quad I had before. For all of you that have critisized, run down and have made statements that says it is a failure are not laughing at me. You are laughing at the one that designed it and that has been trying for 3 years to get me to build it. I'm happier with it than I was with the 6 element quad I had before. Put your ass in the real world before you condem anything. I truly BEG all of you that had a part in this to email me at cowtown10k@msn.com and I will give you the phone# of the one that designed it so you can tell him why it won't work. Kale

10k223 calm down ...as you know this forum is for information only!
don't let others judge you on here about anything you make or produce....as you know skip is in theres times you can throw a wire up and tune it, with a stock radio and DX out....now put that antenna and a 6 element quad in a non skip test...see what wins :p it won't be that vertical ground plane setup!
10 miles away I would swing around your way with a 6E quad and lock you down....thats the difference :)
then tell me how good that antenna would get out :p
you tell that to the builder/designer...what I said
it really don't take much to make a hub for that setup!

Peace out, dude :)

P.S never heard of a starduster M-800 back from the 70's...sounds like smoke...and sometimes enough wire colied up after 7 turns can create a 50 ohm feed along with a few caps ...go figure!

MC can you tell us anything about the M800. I saw a single hand drawn sketch of the M800 posted on the Internet somewhere before, but I too never saw one or heard of one back then. Do you have a picture or ad of the M800?

Can you describe it, if you don't have a photo or image?

i gave the starduster to villarge,
hes on here ask him if he still has it, if he does im sure he will take a few pics to prove i dont make shit up,
it was in a sorry state so he may have weighed it in at the scrap metal dealers but ya never know,

my description of the antenna we called the starduster mk2 is exactly how it looked,
the other name i believe was the m-800,
very rare over here but they do exist i owned it twice,

just because you cant google something does not make me a liar.

bob85 said:
i gave the starduster to villarge,
hes on here ask him if he still has it, if he does im sure he will take a few pics to prove i dont make shit up,
it was in a sorry state so he may have weighed it in at the scrap metal dealers but ya never know,

my description of the antenna we called the starduster mk2 is exactly how it looked,
the other name i believe was the m-800,
very rare over here but they do exist i owned it twice,

just because you cant google something does not make me a liar.

um ...who was calling you a liar(me saying sounds like smoke,means you said about the coil and caps but can't remember the antennas real name)..back then not to many nice antennas had caps between the ground if i am right..and we know why now days it is done on radios and antennas....not me and not in a post,or said making shit up...right!...comeOn take a deep breathe , breath in breath out no ones trying to get your goat up:p
and your right as for google for searching older stuff no go but my main source is a library ...keeps me active :)but being and antenna there has to be a pic of one on this earth somewhere
and as you stated it...remember back in them days electronics parts where much bigger..EXAMPLE as you know a cap the size of a quarter back then can be only the size of a dime now or smaller...

as for you Master Chief, Yet, it DID exist...means nothing now days in this forum...you know by now its all about detail and heavy posts :p if bob85 was on trial and your were his witness he be hung off that line you posted...lol

bob85...look at all my posts I don't call no one a liar,right!
so why would I start now..I mean there is a couple of smart asses on here I like to rip into but it sure ain't no one that has posted so far in here and surly not you my friend ..so maybe i will restate the P.S :)

P.S a starduster M-400 and many other names,doesn't have a coil or caps in it why would the older one M-800 have it ,when antennas where built better back then and for better reasons
and why on this gods green earth wouldn't someone take pics of this..was it not important at the time?

OK Bob, you take my part in all of this as not to be asking you a single question about what this antenna looks like. Frankly I asked the question of Master Chief since he brought it up. Actually I didn't even think about it possibly hurting your feelings by my asking a question. I do seem to recall you talking about it at one point here on the forum,

but I am really not that interested to ask, if it is going to put a big old fat chip on your shoulder just to ask.

lmao this is a mess,
marconi it was not aimed at you, i know you know they did exist,
i was talking to lords who i thought was saying i never had one just because he aint heared of it,

the best i can do is see if villarge still has it and get yall some pics,
i should have taken some before i gave it away but in the heat of the moment just trying to get rid of junk out the garrage i forgot to get my cam and snap a few pics for the forum which i said i would do :(

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.