• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEW al-811hd making popping sounds in my radio

Feb 19, 2010
i just bougt this amp at HRO and hooked it up and as soon as i turned it on i hear pulses in my receive. i turnd the amp off and its quiet again so i disconnected all the cables and tuned on my portable radio shack am fm radio to a am dead station and put it near the amp and i can hear the pulses,, any one have this problem? the amp is grounded and i tryed without ground..

i just bougt this amp at HRO and hooked it up and as soon as i turned it on i hear pulses in my receive. i turnd the amp off and its quiet again so i disconnected all the cables and tuned on my portable radio shack am fm radio to a am dead station and put it near the amp and i can hear the pulses,, any one have this problem? the amp is grounded and i tryed without ground..

What radio do you have it connected to?

yaesu ft-897,, i opened the cover and i can hear the ticking in the input tuning area near the rotory switch im not sure if its coming from the coils arount the switch or the filiment choke

Since you just bought it from HRO I'd check their return policy or send the amp to Ameritron for warranty repair. I've owned three of the AL-811 amps and none of them had that issue.

Are you running a keyer for the relay?? With that radio, you'll need to run some sort of keyer. I use the ARB-704. Works great!!

The ARB-704 was designed to lower the keying voltages of old amps like the Heathkit SB-200, etc so not to burn up new radios with low keying voltages. Not needed with an Ameritron- 811 A.

i do run a arm-704 but the problem is its there if the radio is hooked up or not there is some kind of ossilation or a circuit collapsing every second. the tuned input board . scince i just bought it im hoping hro will extange it out. some of the soldering work in this looks like it was done by a rookie. but i dont want to fuss with it,

Call HRO, It would be a shame to have to pay the shipping back to them even though it is defective from the start. Maybe they will not make you pay shipping I don't know.I would be pissed if It was me and had to pay shipping on defective amp.

You can also call Ameritron and talk to a tech, maybe get it straightened out over the phone.

AP

I just brought it back and got a brandy new one and i hooked it up and works great .. i noticed that i can get beter tuning and the amp isnt blowing like a furnace now .. go figure.. my luck to get a lemon..

As would I, but I would be divorced as well. :)

I am divorced and when I buy new gear my little dog always approves!! :D

I just brought it back and got a brandy new one and i hooked it up and works great .. i noticed that i can get beter tuning and the amp isnt blowing like a furnace now .. go figure.. my luck to get a lemon..

Sweet! It's a great amp! The secret to keeping it running like new is to tune it exactly like the manual says to EVERY TIME. Those 811 tubes should last forever. Don't let anyone convince you to drop in a set of 572B's either. It's a waste of money.

W8JI designed that amp for Ameritron and his webpage is an excellet recource for the 811.

Amplifiers and Vacuum Tubes Tuning Loading and Arcing

The ARB-704 was designed to lower the keying voltages of old amps like the Heathkit SB-200, etc so not to burn up new radios with low keying voltages. Not needed with an Ameritron- 811 A.

So what your saying is I don't need the keyer? How does an FT-897 key the AL-811H? Will RF alone key amp? Please let me know! I would love to free up my CAT port.
Thank you!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.