• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEW al-811hd making popping sounds in my radio

So what your saying is I don't need the keyer? How does an FT-897 key the AL-811H? Will RF alone key amp? Please let me know! I would love to free up my CAT port.
Thank you!!

Your Ft-897 alrady has built in keying and drive control lines for interfacing with an amp like the Al-811H. You don't need to use an outboard interface, but you already bought it ana are using it so why change now? Everything you need to know about connecting the 897 to a newer amp is in the operating manual.

The al-811hd version i have has the four 572B's i heard they dont run to full potential and last longer.. is this correct?

I found a link to the olny one that had the same problem i did. last post on bottom of page.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.ph...es-Causing-Issues-In-Ameritron-AL-811HD/page5

Sorry, didn't realize yiu have the HD. I haven't been watching Ameritron lately and had no idea they released the 811HD. Nice amp. The 572's should last a long time but they're a lot more expensive to replace then the 811 tube.

. The 572's should last a long time but they're a lot more expensive to replace then the 811 tube.

Ive heard that

Not when you have to replace 811A's about four times as often if you run any type of high duty cycle mode like AM. The 811A's are already being run beyond their specified plate dissipation limits in normal service in that amp.

ok so it has been a week with my new amp and now it is doing the same thing my other amp i took back was doing,, what is going on here..

Hey Captain Kilo; what is up with the design of this amp? If the Yaesu FT-2100b uses two 572b's and gets 1200w PEP and can run at @ 600 watts with a fair duty cycle; then how is it that this amp is only getting 800 watts PEP? I'll bet the transformer isn't up to it - as a guess. Otherwise, one would think that four 572b's would be give it 2,400 watts pep and 1200 watts with a healthy duty cycle.

AS far as 317's problem with this amp, I would guess that CMC's are to blame.

Last edited:
chinese tubes are iffy at best and glass encased firecrackers at worst.
bet you got a bum tube.had an 811h here i got in a deal where the p.o heard intermittant "ticking" then BANG!
had some good used cetron 572b i put in it.no it does not do any more than 811's but the tubes are not going to get beat up.

Hey Captain Kilo; what is up with the design of this amp? If the Yaesu FT-2100b uses two 572b's and gets 1200w PEP and can run at @ 600 watts with a fair duty cycle; then how is it that this amp is only getting 800 watts PEP? I'll bet the transformer isn't up to it - as a guess. Otherwise, one would think that four 572b's would be give it 2,400 watts pep and 1200 watts with a healthy duty cycle.

I wondered that myself. Did Ameritron build this amp just to satisy the crowd that kept asking for another 572B amp??? All I see is a $1200 amp that has the same gain as the 811H which is $500 cheaper.

THis has me scratching my head.

The Yaesu FL-2100b is NOT rated for 1200 watts pep out. It is rated for 600 watts pep output. The amp was made back in the day when power ratings were quoted as DC INPUT. It takes four 572B's to make 1200 watts pep output as in the Ameritron AL-572 amplifier.The FL-2100B can run a healthy 400 watts in a higher duty cycle mode however in AM mode I would not run it at any more than 100-125 watts of carrier.

Also with the AL-811HD with the four 572B tubes, the power supply still only provide about 1400-1500 volts to the tubes. 572B tubes need 2400-2700 volts for full output. That's 1000 volts more than what is available in the AL-811HD. That is why the AL-811HD does not provide any more power than the regular AL-811 along with the fact that the 572B has the same gain as the 811A. The only benefit is increased plate dissipation rating allowing the tubes to last longer.

... the AL-811HD does not provide any more power than the regular AL-811 along with the fact that the 572B has the same gain as the 811A. The only benefit is increased plate dissipation rating allowing the tubes to last longer.

actually an AL811HD will produce more output power than an AL811,.... 3 tubes VS 4 tubes:tongue:,..... but I think you meant AL811H VS AL811HD

the HD version also has an "upgraded" power supply (whatever that means,I havn't been able to get any hard numbers).

as you stated, It doesn't produce any more power than the regular 811H but it will hold up better under heavier duty cycles. Personally, I like to run a little AM from time to time and I feel a little better doing it with this one versus the 811H.

I called ameritron and the tech never heard of this problem and he told me to try stretching out the 4 coils a little on the board that connects to the top of the 4 tubes.. make any sense to anyone???

actually an AL811HD will produce more output power than an AL811,.... 3 tubes VS 4 tubes:tongue:,..... but I think you meant AL811H VS AL811HD

the HD version also has an "upgraded" power supply (whatever that means,I havn't been able to get any hard numbers).

as you stated, It doesn't produce any more power than the regular 811H but it will hold up better under heavier duty cycles. Personally, I like to run a little AM from time to time and I feel a little better doing it with this one versus the 811H.

Yes I did mean the AL-811H versus the AL-811HD. (y)

xQvhvU3GgIwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Plate INPUT is rated at 1200 watts pep. That is the DC INPUT to the tubes. Output is typically 1/2 of that due to efficiency.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.