• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEW al-811hd making popping sounds in my radio

it only hapens where the amp is in receive mode and listening to radio i hear tic tic tic tic tic in the radio receive every econd or so ... tx is fine,, and if i pull all the coax off the amp and its just powered by ac and i get a normal am radio and tune to dead station and put it near the amp i can hear it in a non connected radio.

here is a video..Ameritron al-811hd tic - YouTube

If it's a regular sound, then I'd have to guess it's something to do with a discharge in the amplifier. I'm not aware of any 'timing' circuits in that amplifier so figure it's a capacitive discharge of some kind. From what you've said, it doesn't seem like anything is particularly 'wrong' with it, just an unidentified and aggravating noise. Until something does happen to make it more than just aggravating, I don't think I'd worry about it.
- 'Doc

You might ask Ameritron about it?

so is there anyhting in this amp cause arcing or a clicking under the tubes. i can hear it in from the side of the amp with my ear up to it,, it sounds like a hv discharge like a strobe light would make. i looked at the tubes i do not see any arcking inside the tubes it transmits fine... grrrr no one else has this problem .. am i the only one that bought the ony two amps with this issue ... just getting pissed that i spent alot of money and ameritron never heard of this problem when i had two amps back to back with this issue,

maybe they got a bad batch of bleeder resistors?
if one opens you will get arcing in the associated cap till it has had enough and either shorts or blows up.

Going from what you've said, considering that another one did the same thing, I think I'd start looking for some other reason for that noise. No idea what to investigate, but something has to be causing it. What have you had in common between two of the things that's the same? Is there something in or under the desk that could be making that noise (that's a 'stretch', but who knows)?
- 'Doc

Time to start the process of elimination. Unplug ALL cables to and from the amp except the power cord. turn the amp on and see if the problem exists. If it does return it. if not connect just the antenna and check again. if nothing connect the cable to the exciter. Still no problem, then connect the ALC line if used.Next connect the keying line. Continue this way until the fault appears. That will at least narrow it down. It may not be an amp issue at all. It could be a connectivity issue.

Reactions: 1 person
i have done all that ,, all i have pluged in is the amp no other cables. and i can still hear it with my own ear and through a am fm radio ...i called ameritron again this morning , and he said it could be a bad tube witch i doubt , but i said it transmits fine and so did the last one i had,, so he said to check to make sure the ferrite on the red wire was close to the conector. and the two caps on the board the ataches to the tubes are not close together.. i said everythings fine ,, he said send it to us,, i felt like saying send me a new amp and ill send u one back.. i am wondering if the gas arc protectors ar arcing under the tubes,, who knows ..

Now this is funny ,,, i tuned to the 20 meter band. tuned the amp to 600 watts keyed up u few times and when unkeyed my s meter stayed up the top with some buzzing and my grid current meter went past negative zero. so i keyed it again and unkeyed, and the ticking stopped and grid current went to zero and it runs fine now no ticking....hmmm do i have a bad tube or did i burn off some inpurrity>>>>?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.