• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new Sirio Tornado review / update

Surprisingly, I think I see the difference now between the Tarnado and the V58, and you're right Camaro1. The V58 bottom end of the coil is connected to the ground radial bracket, and this antenna does not.

Camaro1, you did not tell me if the bottom tube for the radiator came in the kit already installed into the base assembly. If this is the way it came, already installed in the base, can you give me all of the dimensions for the bottom part up to the point where the adjustment for the length of the radiator is made? If you can do the measurements for me give me the length and diameter of the rod between the coil and the center conductor for the feed point.

the base of the tornado came assembled, I wont be able to get any measurements from it, its up on the tower at 52' now. I do know the radiator element is 22' from where it goes into the base to the tip, and the only adjustment point is the very top section(all the other sections are screwed together with holes from the factory, the instructions came with a chart in mm for the top section initial adjustment, I didn't need to do any more adjustments on this antenna

from looking at it I would say about 8" of the radiator is probly down in the base and is insulated from the base and the upper coil mount on the radiator is probly another 6-8" from where is enters the base,

Look at my post again Camaro1, I have been asking for the dimensions of the V58. I have no interest at all in the Tarnado.

I first asked for dimensions of the base assembly as it came in the kit for the V58 yesterday, and I just this morning asked again, because I know the V58 is not in the air.

I've been through this type of merry-go-round before...many times in the last 44 years.

EDIT:
Sorry, I messed up again, and I did mislead you asking for the dimensions of the rod on the Tarnado. I just need dimensions on the V58. Sorry.

Last edited:
ok, thought you were now talking about the tornado,, I can get you those v58 measurements tonight

That will be great. Thanks.

Check my previous post. I'm sorry I accused you of a mistake and it was my fault...I mislead you.

Sorry again. I'll wake up soon.

ok, here is the info,

the bottom element on the v58 come pre installed into the BA1P

the base/mount of the BA1P is 1 1/2" o.d.

the element that is installed in the BA1P is 1" o.d.

the element is installed 3 1/2" into the top of BA1P

here are the other dimensions:

12 1/8" is measured from the bottom of base

2 1/4" is from bottom of base to mounting bolt hole

57" is overall length of element and base

when I initially set mine up I used 246" from tip to very bottom of base and my resonate freq was somewhere in the low end of 26mhz(cant remember exactly) but the antenna was too long according to this

Attachments

• maco base.jpg
    maco base.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 43
if iremember correctly you set the overall lenth . then use the ring w/ wire to
find mid band where you wanna talk. now maybe you did all this idk. i do know
ya must get the measurements of everything correct.i know of 1 local here
that had somewhat same issues his was placement of the spider. [radial holder]
and the tung ring placement. glad to hear ya likr the sirio tornado

if iremember correctly you set the overall lenth . then use the ring w/ wire to
find mid band where you wanna talk. now maybe you did all this idk. i do know
ya must get the measurements of everything correct.i know of 1 local here
that had somewhat same issues his was placement of the spider. [radial holder]
and the tung ring placement. glad to hear ya likr the sirio tornado

Hotrod, I agree.

I did an Eznec of the Maco V58, and I did the same thing as you note with the radial hub. I made the spider hub 3" below the feed point bracket by mistake, and it should only have a 1/2" clearance at that point.

My first V58 model did not include a matching coil, so I could not tell if the antenna was right or not.

I then added the matching coil hoping to get the match much closer, but the model is still showing way too much capacitance, looking way too short.

As noted, I made two models, one with tapper and another with the radiator as a single element with no tapper. I estimated the diameter and use 3/4" inch diameter for the entire radiator.

If I can get the model matcher to matching close, I'll post it with the dimensions I used.

ya theres a little more to the maco then just adjusting the lenth and playing with
the wire around the ring. i dont own a v58 nor have i setup one myself. but i do
know others that had . also the instuctions say therer MUST be a 1 inch gap
where the 2 rings end. the instructions say this is important too. i thought about
getting this antenna for years cause the 2 locals that run them get out really great
but the instructions are unclear imho . the newer ones are slightly clearer on a few things.
and as far as measuring the overall lenth id measure from the tip to the very bottom [end 2 end]

Reactions: 1 person
ya theres a little more to the maco then just adjusting the lenth and playing with
the wire around the ring. i dont own a v58 nor have i setup one myself. but i do
know others that had . also the instuctions say therer MUST be a 1 inch gap
where the 2 rings end. the instructions say this is important too. i thought about
getting this antenna for years cause the 2 locals that run them get out really great
but the instructions are unclear imho . the newer ones are slightly clearer on a few things.
and as far as measuring the overall lenth id measure from the tip to the very bottom [end 2 end]

I agree completely hotrod.

BTW, are you the hotrod of old that I use to respond with on Uncle John's forum long ago?

I dont know what DC grounded means to be honest with ya, lol. After all these years, i never heard of the term. I must not be an antenna guru, i usually put one up perfectly then ground the mast pipe like everyone else.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated