• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President AX-144

RT2020

Dec 23, 2011
Would anyone have a picture of the inside of the radio of the mic socket. I need to see where the wires go.

Thanks, Greg

Thanks, I am not a schematic reader. I had zero audio AM or SSB, I borrowed a friends AR144 and got the wires right since I posted but now I have audio on SSB and just a carrier on AM. Any ideas?

check tr34 and tr44 for voltages on all 3 legs in tx and rx. if you lost tr44 you could lose am audio.
2sa473 and a 2sa1012. you can use a tip42 in place of either one if it is bad, easier to find a tip42

OK TR44 has roughly 13 volts on all 3 legs TX and RX. TR34 has about 12.5 volts on the middle leg and 1.0 volt on one outside leg and 1.6 on the other TX and RX.

That tell us anything? TR34 bad

There could be two things wrong, pretty much, either the 2SA1012 has gone fault, or possibly the audio IC, upC1182H. If you have receive audio, the audio IC won't be the fault. If you have no receive audio, then the audio IC could be fault, as the TX audio on AM and the RX audio are ran thru the audio IC.

Hope this helps and good luck!

~Cheers~

There could be two things wrong, pretty much, either the 2SA1012 has gone fault, or possibly the audio IC, upC1182H. If you have receive audio, the audio IC won't be the fault. If you have no receive audio, then the audio IC could be fault, as the TX audio on AM and the RX audio are ran thru the audio IC.

Hope this helps and good luck!

~Cheers~

ExitThirteen is probably right ,after the voltage check the 1012 could be bad. a bad cap in the circuit can also cause a problem like this if shorted. since you do not seem to have much tech equipment you can change the 1012 out and see if it helps and if not change the 473 to see.here is the service manual from cbtricks you can look at. check voltages also. you need to check the parts in transmit and receive and not just receive, look at the page for voltages.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/uniden/ax_144/graphics/uniden_ax_144_sm.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks guys, its just kinda a challenge for me to fix it, I appreciate the help and will try to replace TR44. I removed it just need to get one and try it.

you might call your local radio shack and see if they have a tip42 part on hand. will replace the 1012 or 473 part in your radio and they have the price at 1.99 each. if you by from ebay they are even cheaper.

Yeah I was looking at the wrong transistor, I found the right one now it is 473. I am gonna take one out of the working AR144 and put it in mine to see if it works, I'll keep you posted.

I guess the 1012 and the 473 are the same part?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.