• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Road devil power mic.

Thinking about getting a Road Devil. Never used an amplified mic with a radio that has a mic gain on it.

Do I set my radio's mic gain up all the way and then adjust the Road Devil as needed? Or do I set the radio's gain at something less?

Thanks.

Set your radio's modulation with an O-Scope if possible for 100% modulation. On my Galaxy DX-959,I usually set my Road Devil slider between 1/4 and 1/2. Anything past two thirds and you'll start picking up whatever noise is in your shack. One of the other guys on this forum has a pretty good way to set your mic volume level. I set mine to where my mic doesn't pick up room noises and at the same time I watch my meter for movement. It depends on your radio tune. My SRA-198 sounds best on my 959 though but my Road Devil is good especially for long distance direct talking when the others I talk to doesn't hardly pick me up signal wise but my audio can make the difference in being heard or not.

Haven't found a local yet. Am running a homemade horizontal dipole. Can only occasionally hook up with someone long distance with my 3 watts. Am hoping the road devil will help if I decide to get one.

Haven't found a local yet. Am running a homemade horizontal dipole. Can only occasionally hook up with someone long distance with my 3 watts. Am hoping the road devil will help if I decide to get one.

I don't see a power mic being a difference maker with your set up.

I use a Road Devil with my Galaxy DX-949. I run the volume on the mic at about 1/3 and the mic gain on the radio at about 3/4. Works well for me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.