• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas star dx667v turbo mod

first post here but had to chime in

i actually own 2 DX-667Vs ( a newer one with the DEI pills and an older one with the toshibas) and a turbo.

the difference between the toshiba and the DEI models is very negligible. the DEIs put out about 90%-95% of the toshibas power, but in the real world , you dont even notice a difference on the meter or in DX land...

secondly, the turbo i have pretty much puts out exactly what the older 667V with toshibas does. all three will PEP around 750 on my DOSY meter.

if your stuck on a turbo, rethink it cause their isnt a noticable difference in real life.

ive also got a couple gorgeous quads of used toshiba 2SC2897 (both quads came out of DX500s that were brought in nearly new for one reason or another junked for bigger amps) that i have on hand to replace the DEIs if they happen to go south.

Turbo is just a fancy name TS used for the addition of a 2 watt variable.

They are using a 2 watt variable in all of them now, there used to be a guy out here called left coast radio that pushed the turbo mod models but he disappeared long ago.

Jeff

first post here but had to chime in

i actually own 2 DX-667Vs ( a newer one with the DEI pills and an older one with the toshibas) and a turbo.

the difference between the toshiba and the DEI models is very negligible. the DEIs put out about 90%-95% of the toshibas power, but in the real world , you dont even notice a difference on the meter or in DX land...

secondly, the turbo i have pretty much puts out exactly what the older 667V with toshibas does. all three will PEP around 750 on my DOSY meter.

if your stuck on a turbo, rethink it cause their isnt a noticable difference in real life.

ive also got a couple gorgeous quads of used toshiba 2SC2897 (both quads came out of DX500s that were brought in nearly new for one reason or another junked for bigger amps) that i have on hand to replace the DEIs if they happen to go south.

That's probably about right for a Dosey. About 14 years ago we tested three different 667's, they all did 500-550 watts on a Bird 43P.

After reading this whole thread, the worst thing about all of it, is that ShockWave was trying to give GOOD and ACCURATE information and was in my opinion mistreated, and the person that was arguing was doing do not based on knowledge but just on his opinion of what "sounds good". People that have been used to for instance, listening to a small desktop CD player with a couple small speakers (the wally world made in china type) along with other people that are used to it meaning the same sound will of course say that they sounds good. BUT - all of the sudden you take these same people and show them a really good HiFi system, and their whole world changes. But if they don't know better, all they have for reference is what they are used to. That's part of the problem.

The other part is the old "I've been doing it this way for years" and also the emotional attachment to their equipment they have spent money on. No one likes to feel like a fool for buying "the best of the best" only to find out that mayyybeee it isn't.

But also, let's face it. AM is a VERY forgiving mode. Remember it's one of the VERY FIRST modes that a voice could be carried on. You can have so many things wrong (off freq, transmitter overmodulating and clipping on neg peaks, audio harmonics, RF harmonics, IMD, etc) and still be able to hear the other person, it doesn't mean that it is "good" or "right". Heck, they used to generate it with an oscillator and a carbon mic in the RF line. Think about that. It can be detected with a diode, a coil, and an earphone (remember crystal radios?)

So it is no wonder that people who aren't exactly educated on the subject would have th attitude that if they can hear me, and I can hear them, then it's all good.

You want to run your stuff like that...fine. But me personally, I would rather have it set up and ran correctly. It's the difference between a shade tree mechanic that tunes his cars by ear, rather than using a timing light, and other equipment to make sure the engine is running how it should and at its best. Both will work, but why not do it the correct way? Especially when you have someone willing to help teach you for free? Then to shun them? What an ingrate!

To me, there is a HUGE difference in between hearing a guy on a galaxy radio with a restrictive audio path because of the capacitors used in the circuit that roll off the highs and lows too soon, overmodulated, driving a class C amplifier, crunchy, distorted, blaring loud, and 30Kcs wide, and a beautiful, articulate sounding AM station with highs and lows, not flat topping or clipping, with a nice strong carrier, the needle barely bumping just a bit on voice peaks, no fans running in the background, just nice smooth sounding audio. That is a work of art!

Remember, when we use RF to communicate, you are not hearing my voice, and I am not hearing your's. What we are hearing is an electronic REPRODUCTION of our voices. The closer it is to being an exact replica, the better the equipment is doing its job!

When I read threads like this I wonder we try to drive these amps with these big watt radios when keydowns are won with Cobra 29s.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No reason really....although on a technical level, maybe because with a transformer type radio, negative peaks are a little more suppressed then with the typical modulator set up in an export radio. Other than that, not much.

Hey Swanny, that's 30-40 on the swing, not dead key. Low Drive pill boxes will take 30-45W swing all day long.

1-4 watt dead key typical
the 667s were made to go with single final radios thats why i bought one its a new hybrid one wit 2 mosfets driving DEI 2879s i have a cobra 148f gtl i wanted this amp for and im a bit underwhelmed 500 watts tops i ran 6 ga wire to it did all that and the wires coming out of the amp are small maybe upgrading that will up the power, the variable knob is just lipstick on a pig get the one without the knob

Your 148F will work fine with a 667. No way you want to put 30-45 watts of peak power into a 667 like that one dude said, ouch.

Reactions: Crusher
Your 148F will work fine with a 667. No way you want to put 30-45 watts of peak power into a 667 like that one dude said, ouch.
thats why i bought it was for my 148f ive had 667s before and they're sure not what they used to be. .y 148 will dead key about 2 1/2 to 3 watts and swing about 15 on am and will do 18 to 20 on ssb, the same radio used to drive my old 667 make close to 700 watts, these new ones the hybrid ones its all it can do to hit 500 i think maybe a little below to be honest. Im thinking upgrade to the power in wires will do wonders, i used 6 ga from an optima battery all the way in, this new 667 has dinky wires same size wires as my 2 pill ts amp

They are using a 2 watt variable in all of them now, there used to be a guy out here called left coast radio that pushed the turbo mod models but he disappeared long ago.
Jeff
Turbo is just a fancy name TS used for the addition of a 2 watt variable.
DSCN6452.JPG DSCN6456.JPG
that's where this one came from, left coast radio. coax kid, right? it came with the turbo sticker, but there's no variable on it.

My first scope was free. Used it for 20+ years.
My "spectrum analyzer" cost me $11.95. Noo SDR.
It's not a richmans sport. Next time your neighbors call remember the "clean" on the scope thing.
The beer might taste good, but stop pour it when its full. You'll get more out of the tap, but it's's only going to make a mess.

TS seriously overpriced amps.
maybe, but 35$ a year for 10 years for hundreds (thousands?) of contacts in many states and countries, dozens of compliments and no complaints on the sound or signal quality on am or ssb, and since it still works as good as day one you could still sell it on ebay for the original price or better.
I'd say it was a decent value.

Last edited:
Does anyone know which potentiometer the old
Texas Star do 667v turbo mod used?
I understand some use a 100 ohm and some used a 250.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Flash

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.