• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uniden 980 discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should explain my definition of hacking up a radio.

Radio Hack Job /verb

1. A new CB radio out of the box and before it is put into service it receives the following:

Echo board
Swing kit
Schottky diode receive kit
Uppers and lowers
Bigger finals
Spread the coils
Talk back
Roger beep
Noise toy

And for a true hack job, cut the modulation limiter.

Did I leave anything out?
Not hacking as some of those mods are enhancements... You must be one of those guys that takes a radio out of the box and uses it and never does a thing to it... You probably think power mics are hack too......... LMAO!

I talked to lescomm and he said it was a posting error as Uniden has NOT discontinued the radio......

In several of the Mark19960 videos and the guy obviously works in the electronics industry...
He said that Uniden would not go to the trouble of revising the radio just to discontinue it.
His assertion was from the start that Lester was wrong.
Makes sense to me.

Dude you are so right! These new uniden radios are cheaply made and are NOT tech friendly. They are a toss it in the trash radios that cannot be fixed by most techs as its all SMT. Plus you cant do much with them as far as mods and enhancements... Ill stick to my old school stuff..........

Nothing wrong with sticking with old school radios.
But there are plenty of people doing really cool things with newer radios.
I would say that those techs that can't fix these radios need to work on updating their skillset. If they don't want to do that then that's their prerogative.
But these techs that complain about newer tech then do nothing about it only have themselves to blame.
SMT is here and now. They need to get with the program.

Edit: Had a Timmy moment.

Not hacking as some of those mods are enhancements... You must be one of those guys that takes a radio out of the box and uses it and never does a thing to it... You probably think power mics are hack too......... LMAO!
Wrong! I'm come full circle on doing impratical mods. You haven't grown up yet! LMAOFl!

I had a little email conversation with someone over at Uniden and this was their answer to my question about if the Uniden 980 was being discontinued.

"The 980 SSB is not discontinued we are just currently out of stock of the unit. As of right now that is our only SSB product. Hopefully we come out with another soon, but as of right now we are not."

Will this radio work out of the box with a texas star 250 hd?

Thanks
Bobby
had mine hooked to both a texas star hd and a palomar hd and it worked very well on both ssb and am with both amps.. there is a good video on youtube where the gatekeeper does some pot tweaking on the 980.. I did the same to mine and got very good results ...xxx

Last edited:
What I figured.

I don't know this guy or patronized his services but just generalizing, he sounds like another CB tech god who claims to have all the inside knowledge from CB manufacturers.

I have heard many outlandish claims from tech gods like they have been invited to the Asian factories and had a hand in designing some of the new line of radios.

After hearing many B.S. stories like this, it gets to the point where you can't believe any of them.

I would suggest to anyone who has the unique opportunity to visit Mark Sherman in person to do so if you want a fine example of what I'm talking about, then you can judge for yourself.

Sorry Rabbiporckchop, but I couldn't resist… Not! :love:
That's okay- it's all in good fun. Speaking of fun I thought this was pretty funny since this has been done for years but LeapFrog seems to think this is some sort of new discovery.
It's a shame he can't even spell modulation correctly.

Last edited:
Those are not enhancements at all. An enhancement should improve the durability, stability, functionality or improve the utility of the device. On top of that I doubt too many radio companies are still using germanium detection diodes any more.

If you are doing a modification to get more power out of the radio you are an idiot since nothing you do will come close to adding a separate well-designed amp with heatsink!

If you add talk back again idiot since it affects the audio modulation and rf output of the radio in a way that reduces talk power.

If you take a high gain bjt out to replace it with a higher wattage lower gain transistor that too is the hallmark of idiocy!

Very few modifications improve the radio's ability to be understood, receive or talk furth than the radio did when stock.

A good alignment on an otherwise stock radio normally kicks the crap out of these modified radio's.

Nothing wrong with a power mic so long as you understand that they do very little without tweaking the AMC/AGC a little bit. Most of them hurt sound quality because of the caps and transistors used in the unit for noise canceling pinches your audio a bit. Most power mic's give people a thinner more tiny sound but it will be louder and often you do not need to eat the mic.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
That's okay- it's all in good fun. Speaking of fun I thought this was pretty funny since this has been done for years but LeapFrog seems to think this is some sort of new discovery.
It's a shame he can't even spell modulation correctly.

Humans make mistakes, last time I checked you are human also?;)
I know how to spell. Are you the grammar police now?
(lame attempted character argument, btw haha. 'ad hominem')
You cannot debate bro, you are weak at this.

I wonder how you think "LeapFrog seems to think..." another non-argument.
Keep speaking for me while I'm not around, see how much respect this will earn you. :ROFLMAO:

So you "put words in my mouth"; attribute a made up statement to me? WTF?o_O
You cannot read minds and I have NEVER indicated this is new territory, quite the contrary! This idea is very old. :rolleyes:
Straw-man argument failed, try again.

Read the link this time, so you can stop embarrassing yourself.
Also, keep up with the dislike bots, you are helping me out a bunch on YouTube.
I'd share a photo with the board to demonstrate how your crew attack people who expose you.
But it is not needed.

Funny you talk crap about WWDX on Mark's YouTube channel, and "out of no where" here you are attacking enthusiasts, yet again..
You do know I'm not a shop, right? Okay, narcissist, slow down.

.....That is YouTube, and we (here) already know how you operate.
An overview for a Uniden scanner, 12 likes, no dislikes, next day over 20 dislikes.
It wasn't even a CB related video, you (((truly))) are a clown. :)
th

Show me where the ̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶e̶ ̶ truth hurt you? ;)
I've been paying attention, & you need to step your game up or step off the soap-box.
Have you done anything worthy of sharing, can you solder?
See, I can do character arguments too.
How is the view from Mark's coat-tail?

Last edited:
we here to help each other guys come on now.
"Help each other"
Yup, I'm "edumakatin'' this dude, brother.

I don't toot my horn to make sales, I'm an honest person, with an honest interest in this hobby.

If he wouldn't attempt to make others look bad, I could look past his marketing strategy..
But he wants to play games, while resting on his laurels.
h53595DB1

Remember, pay attention, I am not a shop, you are attacking a radio enthusiast. Fool.

Last edited:
"Help each other"
Yup, I'm "edumakatin'' this dude, brother.
I don't toot my horn to make sales, I'm an honest person, with an honest interest in this hobby.
If he wouldn't attempt to make others look bad, I could look past his marketing strategy..
But he wants to play games, while resting on his laurels.
h53595DB1

Remember, pay attention, I am not a shop, you are attacking a radio enthusiast. Fool.
How does laughing about reduced performance constitute an attack?
Last I checked, 200% modulation is useless in regards to performance.
Not an attack, just a simple observation.

How does laughing about reduced performance constitute an attack?
Last I checked, 200% modulation is useless in regards to performance.
Not an attack, just a simple observation.
"Reduced Performance"
By what standard?

You Sir, are an idiot.
Seriously, you do not know any anything about this particular radio.
You know NOT what audio frequency response characteristics it posses, you know nothing about the RF power level or configuration, whether or not the internal pre-amp or some form of external processing is being used, what G*D Damn Performance loss are you dreaming of!...

It can process the audio I'd like to use, so a MINUSCULE trade off some place is acceptable; such is life, you must have compromise, lest I look at life through your distorted lens.

How dare you open your mouth and speak of things, that which you have no concrete knowledge of, you cannot quantify anything about the performance of this radio, not one iota.
Keep my name out of your posts from now on, and I'll consider returning the "favor".
K. THX. BYE.

2 Can play at your game.
Yet another tactic of yours, straw man argument/distraction.
Reduced performance my ass, this radio is unique, there is only one like it in the world.
But, I own several radios that are compatible with the circuit & the board is not too hard not hard to manufacture at home, if you are skilled enough.

Build something for yourself, so you have something in your hands to measure, or you could just step off the soap-box and shut up.

Best part is.. bro... The schematics are freely available for what this radio has installed, one could say it is "open source", to a degree.

I can repeat this process all day long, and the measurements confirm my results, every time!

That means the scientific method applies here, BUCKAROO!
My results are repeatable, unlike that which your obscure dogma should like to portray.
I have MEASUREMENTS, while all you have is your RHETORIC!

Grow the hell up dude, open your eyes.
This is a purpose built radio, not some Stryker with a few cap and resistors modified at $100 to $300 dollars of "work". The fine "Tune" is a joke, brothers he's changing a few parts, like 50 cents worth of discrete components to modify a few component values, the rest is all smoke and mirrors.

While his work may be repeatable, he doesn't clearly state what you are getting for all that money, I know one thing the audio is not adequate for my taste!
How do you like them apples.
Daniel Good
1 month ago
What does hard drive charge for a tune-up? I'd really like to try him out but I need prices before I pull the trigger. Don't want to ask him cuz I'll get on his Blacklist

scot johnson
1 month ago
+Daniel Good It depends on what you are talking about. Different kinds of tunes are different prices and if you have to ask you probably can't afford it.
Anywhere from $100 to $300 depending on the situation probably

You are a charlatan who abuses CB enthusiasts, online & over the air!
Simply put, you are a radio bully.

For all the "shaming and exposing" you've done to regular people, you shall reap your reward on public forums, immortalized forever.

The "attack", is over once your brigade stops harassing my channel, I know it is your crew.

You're just salty, now that people are noticing the charade; the wool you've placed over their eyes.

Attachments

• Rabbi_Rekt.png
    Rabbi_Rekt.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: dave457
He's just a truck driver that's been on the road too long. They know everything, can kick your ass, have their way with hundreds of beautiful women, used to make more money and everything they own is better than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.