• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Grant XL best ever who else thinks so

If you have a computers power supply i can tell you how to do that i do it and it works great. i would suggest using a 5 amp. but ask someone like fl_native or switchkit. personally id go with the 5 to be on the safe side as ive herd the ssb radios need a little extra kick. as far as hooking it up to a pc power supply goes check out my other post http://forum.worldwidedx.com/viewtopic.php?t=15507
and http://forum.worldwidedx.com/viewtopic.php?t=14616&highlight=

i told dway87 how to do it in the second post. you just need to find the proper connector that outputs at 12volts its very simple

Hope this helps ya out.
73's good buddy

Logan said:
one other thing, according to the manual, the LT specs state that current drain requirements is : TX- AM full modulation is 2.2 amps, and SSB 120 watts (?????), PEP output, 2 amps, so will my samlex 3 amp power supply be adequate??, this is not an export, or dual final radio.
................If you're going to choose between the 3 amp or the 5, go with the 5. Better yet, go with the biggest one you can afford. I have an XL and use a 20 amp on it, sounds like over kill, but when I switch over to the 2950, I don't have to worry about the amperage. The "SSB 120 watts" dosen't sound right to me either, if I remember right...the XL uses a 2166 driver and a 1969 final (I'm not sure about the LT) and the SSB mode will put a 3 amp through the ropes and more than likely give up....mabye taking your radio with it. I have several radios.....the Grant XL is my favorite for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.......and I agree with Switch Kit, Sound Trackers are a waste of time....and money. I hope this helps, 73s, Pluto.

Thanks Pluto, I went to scanners unlimited in San Carlos Ca., and bought a Samlex 7.5 amp power supply, this power supply even has a heat sink on it. The owner of the store told me that as far as power supplies go- anstron is #1, Samlex is #2, Tripplite is #3, and Pyramid power supplies are #4, so I think the one that I bought will be more than enough to power my new LT. Bigred, I like your ingenuity in using a PC to power your 68, even though the installation looks like a hornet's or rat's nest, LMAO, good work, and thanks for the links. And yes hillbilly, I think who ever printed the Grant LT manual, got a little happy with adding a "0" to the 12 watts PEP (AT first,I thought the radio had a stinger board in it, at ). Thanks to all of you for the help and knowledge , great forum.
Logan.

Logan said:
Thanks Pluto, I went to scanners unlimited in San Carlos Ca., and bought a Samlex 7.5 amp power supply, this power supply even has a heat sink on it. The owner of the store told me that as far as power supplies go- anstron is #1, Samlex is #2, Tripplite is #3, and Pyramid power supplies are #4, so I think the one that I bought will be more than enough to power my new LT. Bigred, I like your ingenuity in using a PC to power your 68, even though the installation looks like a hornet's or rat's nest, LMAO, good work, and thanks for the links. And yes hillbilly, I think who ever printed the Grant LT manual, got a little happy with adding a "0" to the 12 watts PEP (AT first,I thought the radio had a stinger board in it, at ). Thanks to all of you for the help and knowledge , great forum.
Logan.
...........You're welcome, the 7.5 will do the job well with some "breathing" room to spare. Good choise.....73s, Pluto.

skirtchaser said:
NOTHING hears better PERIOD. Warm it up a little,balls on TX I think God sent us this radio so we could hear him when he decides to fill us in.
I'll be listening on my Grants.They definitely are the best.

What I don't understand is what makes it so hard to reproduce that radio's RX section. Cost, availabilty of parts,design,patent or what? We see where yet another "export"( Stryker) failed after claiming to have a receiver that would "blow everything else away". :roll:

grant XL

I have run 2950DXs for five years and have just gone " back " to a Grant XL , also have a mint Grant LT and a Cobra 148 (philly ) . I'm getting excellent reports with the Grant XL and the receive is fantastic .

For a while, RCI was making the Texas Ranger 296 series, which uses the same 8719 dual conversion RX as the Grant/148.

I guess they didn't sell as well as their 396/696 series, which are inferior radios.

Notice how 296=148*2 ?

So it IS possible to still have this great chassis in production, but it won't continue to be available if people buy junk instead.

truck drivers buy AUDIO, REAL cbers buy RECEIVE. you can ALWAYS add an amp, but if the receive s****-nothing you can do about it. blame all the crappy receiver-radios on the ch 19-jockies.
no matter what the stryker expert told me, the sr440hp is nothing more then a dressed up galaxy.
i wouldn't mind seeing the chassis grounding changed on my cpu-controlled delta/omega to eliminate some of the white noise & get its background hash quieter like the S9. i think the S9 has a fairly decent receiver, the cpu-jobbies may be a tad more sensitive.

if you guys insist on excellent RX buy a Amateur Radio that uses a all SMT board and todays technology. But it won't have the Cber Audio on TX.

The Cobra 148 GTLs made in Malaysia and the Phillipines are the best mobile "CB" radio out there. They look nicer and peak up better.
The 8719 Grants made before the XLs were better.

Highlander_821 said:
For a while, RCI was making the Texas Ranger 296 series, which uses the same 8719 dual conversion RX as the Grant/148.

I guess they didn't sell as well as their 396/696 series, which are inferior radios.

Notice how 296=148*2 ?

So it IS possible to still have this great chassis in production, but it won't continue to be available if people buy junk instead.

The Texas Ranger 296 radios appear to be the same identical board as the Malaysian 148s but they sure don't tune up or talk anywhere close to a 148. The same mods for the 148 just don't seem to work with the 296s.

sleepwalker said:
skirtchaser said:
NOTHING hears better PERIOD. Warm it up a little,balls on TX I think God sent us this radio so we could hear him when he decides to fill us in.
I'll be listening on my Grants.They definitely are the best.

What I don't understand is what makes it so hard to reproduce that radio's RX section. Cost, availabilty of parts,design,patent or what? We see where yet another "export"( Stryker) failed after claiming to have a receiver that would "blow everything else away". :roll:

thats because all (even stryker) current exports use the same (or a derivitve) mainboard. its been about 15 years sence somthing new came along.

exports are alligators, all mouth and no ears.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.