• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What would be the reaction if Hams used 11m legally using their calls.

I use CB and GMRS. As I've commented before, CB down here in the Keys never went through the insanity that crippled it in the big cities. It has served very well as a house to boat communication system that will outperform cell phones.

The current GMRS set up - with extensive repeater networks in many areas - really does feel like the bridge between CB and ham. My ham buddies really want me to get my ham ticket.

My wife tolerates my boats, electric guitars (and amps) and radios. She doesn't want to see any more of either. She's got a point.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
So which are you? I started in 11 meters in 1973 and left for good in 1990. I left mostly because the of crap here, it was all about who could key over who.
I am a CB'er. Started about the same time as you. I dropped out when it went crazy. At that time I also had a general coverage Ham receiver. I was interested in 2m mostly. I thought about getting my ticket too. But I started hearing garbage on 2m just like on CB. Swearing, etc.
Sometimes on CB, SSB usually, people tend to try to emulate Ham. Using to much Q code etc. But I still prefer SSB to AM.
I prefer the relaxed atmosphere on CB. No offense to the Ham guys. I do like how both are on here without any problems. That is why I am on here.

I am a CB'er. Started about the same time as you. I dropped out when it went crazy. At that time I also had a general coverage Ham receiver. I was interested in 2m mostly. I thought about getting my ticket too. But I started hearing garbage on 2m just like on CB. Swearing, etc.
Sometimes on CB, SSB usually, people tend to try to emulate Ham. Using to much Q code etc. But I still prefer SSB to AM.
I prefer the relaxed atmosphere on CB. No offense to the Ham guys. I do like how both are on here without any problems. That is why I am on here.
I used SSB exclusively from the mid 80s onward.

I started out on AM in the mid 1980's. Other users in my community were already in that mode and we also used it for our firewood business.
I discovered sideband by 1989, and have used that as my primary mode ever since.
I spend more than 75% of my radio time in sideband modes.
I do, very occasionally, like to play with AM on 26.915. Lots of fantastic sounding AM rigs on that channel, and my Cobra 148GTL with, uh, outboard help swings with the best of them.
More recently I have also been enjoying FM mode on 26.805. When you get a nice sounding station in with full quieting it's like listening to broadcast radio, especially on my Kenwood base with a large external speaker !

Reactions: secret squirrel
I've noticed that one of the local GMRS repeaters gets a decent amount of use, more than most of the Ham repeaters. Probably because there are only a few GMRS repeaters, and a TON of Ham repeaters. The people on it seem to be somewhere between CB and Ham radio as far as knowledge of radio technology. I hear things on there that make me giggle or shake my head sometimes. :)

I've noticed that one of the local GMRS repeaters gets a decent amount of use, more than most of the Ham repeaters. Probably because there are only a few GMRS repeaters, and a TON of Ham repeaters. The people on it seem to be somewhere between CB and Ham radio as far as knowledge of radio technology. I hear things on there that make me giggle or shake my head sometimes. :)
I think that GMRS is becoming popular because radios have become more plentiful and the FCC lowered the cost of the license. I always thought that $75 was silly.

Should have been more clear, it used to be a 5 year license, and like $90'ish when I got my first one.

Heard another one today. KM4LFG calling CQ on 27.555 complete with his name (withheld) and state (Tennessee).
He had short QSO's with 2 Mexican and 1 Brazilian station right there on the call frequency, dutifully giving his callsign and location at the end of each transmission. Pretty sure he thought he was operating on a ham band !
Anyone know if that is a novice callsign ?

I just looked it up and it comes back as the correct name and QTH. Could still be a prankster I guess but this didn't really have that vibe.
I have a feeling it might have been him. I wonder if he is quite elderly ?
This guy today sounded like he may have been getting up there in years........

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.