• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which radio would you buy if...

Which Radio would you buy if

Hands down 2510, 2600, present made Lincoln, 2510,2600 are Great Radio's & i can hear things on both of these Radio's that My Kenwood & Icoms Barely hear! & My 2950 is is OK BUT The filtering in the 2950 Has a lot too be desired in Crowded Band Conditions ,the 2510 on the other hand Great design on Filtering

Last edited:
I agree that the Mag 257 is a bargain and a practical purchase. But I finally chose a radio and bought it yesterday after a LOT of study. It was one of my original choices - BTW. The Magnum S45 OmegaForce. A full-featured radio the fit into my budget restraint of $250 or less. I could have paid $60 more for the S9; but it wouldn't have bought me more radio. Every feature that you can find on the S9 is also available on the S45. The only difference as far as I can see is the large round meter movement. But the S45 has two meters; an analog swing meter and a LCD meter all in one radio. And the S45 is a little hard to find.

I found out why many techs don't like the S45, and it is not the obvious answer. They don't like it because they can't sell you anything to add to your radio purchase - because the S45 has anything you want already built in. You want speech compression? It's there. How about a 100% modulator circuit? Yup - it's in there. Frequency counter - it's in the radio. The list goes on and on. Talk back, memory, scan, dual mic plugs, echo, variable power, and roger-beep (not why I bought the radio). Did I mention the blue-lit meter movement and LCD screen? SSB is xlnt, and the frequncy range is optimal. Think of it as a Cobra 148GTL 'Gone Wild' - lol! The difference between the Cobra and the Magnum is $90; and you can't spend $90 on a Cobra and get all of that. The only thing a tech can do to it, is to peak the modulation and fine tune the frequency alignment. All for $249? Yup. With so much modulation and power (swings 2-45w out of the box - or minor adjustment) a power mic isn't necessary, and a noise canceling mic may be the only option that it really may need when it's in the mobile.

I thank you all for your consideration, insight, and direction. I still may get a Mag 257 as a backup radio if I get a used one for a bargain price...

Last edited:
thats a good looking rig....

make sure you pop back in and let us know how it works for you........

im looking for much the same thing you were but wont be spending any money untill the end of jan

thanx
scott

If you're going to go illegal and you are a ham, why wouldn't you just modify an HF rig and use that? They are a world better quality all around, even the worst of them.

Get a used FT-757GXII a TS-140, a TS-430 etc etc. should be able to find one of them in clean condition for $250.

Show me a working TS -430 for $250 and I will buy right now!

I'd go 2950 for primary SSB, Magnum S9/Omegaforce are my favorite tho, probably a little more AM savvy tho. the Omegaforce is surprisingly stable on ssb tho.

mag 257 is a great choice, mini Omega if you ask me, close enough anyway

a local here has both the 257 and the 2950 for ssb..both sound real good on ssb but i,ll tell ya the 257 will warble a little now and then but the 2950 is rock solid..

10/11 meter radio

Well 1st of all it would not be legal to use a 10 meter radio on 11 meters as you know .

But since some do then the RCI 2950DX version is a nice radio.Doesnt seem to drift , nice reciever and transmit audio. Large LCD Display and pretty good receiver. Variable power but no swr meter .The vfo knob makes me feel like we have an old HR 2510 2600 SERIES RADIO. It has about the same size case as the old Cobra 148gtl radios . 25 watts approx output
I have 1 hooked up to my IMAX 2000 antenna right now .

Version 3 the last version of the Cobra 200 GTL DX is ok as well . But it has some design issues from what I have read online and has been known to stop transmitting so mic wont keyup the radio. 100 Solid watts output with 2 power levels . I like mine very well

Well 1st of all it would not be legal to use a 10 meter radio on 11 meters as you know .

But since some do then the RCI 2950DX version is a nice radio.Doesnt seem to drift , nice reciever and transmit audio. Large LCD Display and pretty good receiver. Variable power but no swr meter .The vfo knob makes me feel like we have an old HR 2510 2600 SERIES RADIO. It has about the same size case as the old Cobra 148gtl radios . 25 watts approx output

Version 3 the last version of the Cobra 200 GTL DX is ok as well . But it has some design issues from what I have read online and has been known to stop transmitting so mic wont keyup the radio. 100 Solid watts output with 2 power levels . I like mine very well

no analog swr meter, but it does have a simple digital system that can be used as a reference point

Which radio would you buy if...
You wanted a 10 and 11 meter radio that has AM/FM/SSB.
A built in freq counter, and a good sized meter movement.
Legal for a HAM with a Tech ticket.
Power isn't an issue, as I am picking a legal but decently modulating radio?
Can it be done for $250?
(y)

None of the "Export" radios are type approved by the FCC, so they are illegal to talk on even with a ham ticket.

I like the Ranger 158EDX

Reactions: Enterprise312ok

Not so, the 2950dx has an swr mode button that is relatively accurate by my meter>s account, given it's a bar graph but still none-the-less if you don't exceed the manufactures instructions it's a very handy function.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.