• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r Review

By far the best forum/thread about VX-8r "on the internets" thank you (y)

However, I'm wondering about some details, which were not so clear from the manual and specifications, can anybody shed some light on them:

1/ It seems like it doesn't have SSB/CW RX, which would be rather stupid on world band advertised radio?! So no weather fax/data output to my computer via sound card input (I know this could be aleviated by APRS for some/where).. ?!

2/ In case it has SSB/CW RX or generaly speaking for other applications, is it possible to use at the same time that "ear output" (e.g. PC connection) and lound speaker on the handset or one type of audio output at that same time only? I don't want to mess with the cables switching (I'd rather prefer permanent installation).

3/ It has been mentioned that there might be 3rd party software in the making, is it likely that this application will be able to spit out NMEA data stream to the PC on the fly (HT with the GPS unit)? Think about hooking the VX-8r HT to PC with navigation software (or alternatively some other PDA like system)..

thanks again

1/ It seems like it doesn't have SSB/CW RX, which would be rather stupid on world band advertised radio?! So no weather fax/data output to my computer via sound card input (I know this could be aleviated by APRS for some/where).. ?!

No, it doesn't have ssb/cw rx.

is it possible to use at the same time that "ear output" (e.g. PC connection) and lound speaker on the handset or one type of audio output at that same time only?

No, You can't output to both the external speaker and internal speaker at the same time, however, there is a menu setting (Menu 90) that lets you switch back and forth between the two without switching cables.

It has been mentioned that there might be 3rd party software in the making, is it likely that this application will be able to spit out NMEA data stream to the PC on the fly

We don't know. The software companies haven't come out with many details yet. It seems that this would be possible, though since the radio is receiving that info from the gps receiver.

VX-8r priority channel scan

Hi all
Well try as I might I am unable to turn the priority channel off ( very small p to the right of the MR. icon) page 69 describes how to turn it on but not off. I tried to take a pic of it but my camera is unable to do so.
Any idea's ?
Thank you
Garrett

Hi all
Well try as I might I am unable to turn the priority channel off ( very small p to the right of the MR. icon) page 69 describes how to turn it on but not off. I tried to take a pic of it but my camera is unable to do so.
Any idea's ?
Thank you
Garrett

You can turn off the priority watch (dual watch). Check page 69 of the manual. However, you can't remove the P(riority) from the memory channel you assigned it to unless you assign P(riority) to another memory channel. It's just like having the ability to delete a memory. You can't do it. I'm thinking this will all be addressed in any programming software that hopefully comes out soon for this radio.

You can turn off the priority watch (dual watch). Check page 69 of the manual. However, you can't remove the P(riority) from the memory channel you assigned it to unless you assign P(riority) to another memory channel. It's just like having the ability to delete a memory. You can't do it. I'm thinking this will all be addressed in any programming software that hopefully comes out soon for this radio.

Thank you Mole as usual your help is swift and correct.
Garrett

MY NON Scientific Battery Test

OK I know I will probably get some interesting responses but here you go...

VX-8r bought and put in service January 30.

Both the FNB-102LI and the FNB-101LI put in service the same time.

Both Batteries were charged completly using the radio then discharged fully 2 times before being put into service for everyday use. To discharge the batteries I had put the the NWS on Bank A (162.55) and volume on 5 and let it run till the radio turns itself off.

I use both batteries and rotate them daily. The battery not in use sits at home on the charger.

I set up the radio at my desk in a room about 70 degrees

0800 Radio turns itself on runs till radio turns itself off due to low battery.
The radio is set to high power with the GPS bracket mounted to the radio and holds a signal from between 4 to 5 sats.
The A band is set to 162.550 and volume set at 4
The B Band is set to 144.390 and volume set at 0
The APRS Modem is set to 1200bps set to beacon every 5 minutes
I do not have the Blue Tooth Modual installed.

The FNB-101LI was tested on March 9th and lasted from 0800 - 1503 for a total of 7 hours and 3 minutes.

The FNB-102LI was tested on March 10th and lasted from 0800 - till 2028 for a total of 12 hours and 28 minutes.

Now before anyone gets their panties in a twist.... these are my tests and mine alone I am just sharing.... the test was done with the radio on a freq that had a steady recieve.... and there was NO transmitting (obviously) on the A Band. When I am using the small Battery and not recieving constant Audio I can stretch the battery about another hour... that is a test for another day... right now the NWS voice is making me twitch..... HI HI

73 to all
Chris
W3CUM

So the bigger battery bought you about 5.5 hours more monitor time? That's pretty good. The 7 hours on the stock battery is similar to my experience.

I have both batteries 1 stock and 3 FNB-102's and I haven't done tests but would say that my experience is in line with what you have found.

My VX-8R Gripes and Glories

Hi All,

New HAM last month with my Technician ticket, KD0GZI. I bought the VX-8 in early January from HRO so I could familiarize myself with it prior to using it. I wish I had known about this forum then :headbang. I just found it today. Anyway, the info being given here is first class and I look forward to delving further into the site. I have read through this entire thread and really appreciate the info on the digipeater settings for APRS use. I'll play with that later as my signal isn't getting out consistently (geography no doubt). Here is a quick run down of my current Gripes and Glories as I call them on this amazing and worth every penny HT! Some of the below has been mentioned by others in this thread some has not. Hope it adds to the forum.

Gripes:

No auto adj for Daylight Savings Time and with the GPS attached (haven't tried without) any attempt to change the time and save manually is futile as it won't save the change. Hopefully I'm missing a last "enter" button or similar but I can't figure it out. The manual seemed quite clear on the process but it didn't work.

No Auto calibration adj on baro altitude w/GPS attached? That's just silly. This will hopefully be fixed in a future firmware/software update. For those who don't know the VX-8 has a built-in barometric sensor that gives altitude readings. The barometer reads changes in air pressure and therefore can cause your apparent altitude to fluctuate quite a bit as weather fronts come and go. Bad for precise altitude measuring without constant calibration but a handy feature when outdoors to know when weather is coming even if you can't get an outside signal from a WX station!

GPS bracket obstructs some antenna connectors making removal difficult like on my Maldol MH-610 and in this situation is also somewhat lose as the antenna isn't providing any support as it does with the stock duckie and my MH-510.

Bluetooth doesn't support PC connect for programming so is essentially only for using a bluetooth headset!? Not worth paying extra for IMO. The Bluetooth potential of this unit is phenomenal but it is being wasted to date.

No way to delete memory saves - minor nuisance but hopefully addressed in an update.

Glories:

3 station monitoring with AF Dual mode! Described well elsewhere in this thread but I had to call it out...amazingly cool and useful!

Quad band Tx (US versions only) with all (4) being useful to a Technician class operator!

Shortwave features that I have yet to test out but were an influence on my buying decision. Anyone else played with these yet?

GMRS/FRS communications with MOD explained elsewhere on this forum! You all rock! (y)

I plan to test this unit with field expedient long-wires and other antennas over the coming weeks and months and will post results somewhere on this forum. So far I am a very happy camper and am loving the McGuyver of HT radios! (y)

Cheers,

John - KD0GZI

Last edited:
BluesMtn, those are some real good observations. On the barometric pressure / altitude calibration, I have to be real honest and plead ignorant about the meaning of the readings. I don't know how to read the barometric pressure or even what it would be telling me if I did know. I think I understand what you're saying about the pressure needing to be calibrated against the elevation and it seems like it should do this if you have the GPS. Maybe if I knew what to do with the barometer, I could find another useful feature for this rig.

You're right on the money with the Bluetooth feature. To me, it's pretty much a waste of money if you can't do anything else with it but use a headphone.

I've also experienced difficulty with some antenna connections with the GPS bracket installed. I just chalk that up to the price you pay for having a strong bracket.

Don't feel bad about not figuring out how to change the time & date. The manual is not very clear on how to make this work.

It works the same regardless of whether the gps is attached or not. Follow the instructions in the manual on how to set the time, except when you're done, hit the MODE or BAND button to cycle through the settings and move the arrow cursor so that it is positioned above the word SET on the screen. Now hit the V/M button and the radio sets the time/date and returns to the main set menu screen.

One more note about an annoyance with this HT that is typical with Yaesu products: inconsistency on how the various buttons function. Here's a new one I found on this HT:

To change the various settings, you usually go into the setting, make the adjustment and then hit the PTT button to return to the main screen. To set the repeater Tone Frequency / Code you can go to menu 99, change the tone and then hit PTT to get to the main screen. However, for a few of the comon settings shortcuts are provided on the keypad. To change the squelch type, you can just hit FW+MODE. Hit PTT after adjusting to get back to the main screen. However if you use the shortcut to change the tone, you hit FW+2 (it shows CODE above the 2 on the dial pad). However, if you do it this way (you usually will) you can't hit PTT to get back to the main screen like every other function. You have to hit FW+2 again to get out.

Just a minor annoyance.,

Don't feel bad about not figuring out how to change the time & date. The manual is not very clear on how to make this work.

It works the same regardless of whether the gps is attached or not. Follow the instructions in the manual on how to set the time, except when you're done, hit the MODE or BAND button to cycle through the settings and move the arrow cursor so that it is positioned above the word SET on the screen. Now hit the V/M button and the radio sets the time/date and returns to the main set menu screen.

Thanks Moleculo! It was the V/M button piece I was missing...or rather holding it long enough was. I was able to save my time change..still wish it automatically adjusted for DST though.

73s,

John - KD0GZI

Here are a couple of other observances I've made that might help others:

The main Set Mode Menu is in alphabetical order! Accessed by simply holding in the menu key this menu covers the settings for almost everything except the various digital modes which have their own menus. Now all you have to do is memorize Yaesu's terms for everything and getting to your settings is cake! Seriously, most of the menu items use common sense i.e. "WX Alert", "Time Set", etc. Knowing the menu is alphabetical has helped me get to the settings much more quickly and is reducing my dependency on the manual (that I have read cover to cover and then some!).

The other thing I'll mention here is that you need to use this radio to figure it out! The manual is pretty darn good but being a visual guy I need to see something work to "get it" and this is no exception. Don't be afraid to turn it on and play! Even if you don't have your license yet as long as you don't transmit you can play all you like without fear of breaking any laws.

Here is a high level video overview of the VX-8R from N7ICE at 73s.org 73s.org - HamBrief 10 (Ham Brief #10). He also has a good high level overview of using it with APRS and online tracking apps elsewhere on the site. All of this has been well covered by Mole and others but seeing it on video makes a difference for me sometimes.

73s,

John - KD0GZI

Great Info

Thanks for all of the great info guys! I've been looking for a new HT to replace my old FT-470. The 470 is a workhorse. I used it recently at Thunder Over Louisville with my RACES group. It was quite bulky to carry around (mostly battery size). It looks as though the vx-8r would be a great choice.
Thanks again!
(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.