• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Anytone At-6666 Pro

Looking at the microphone diagram, I have a doubt about the 0.47uF capacitor between pin1 and ground: perhaps a little high in capacity and could cut the high frequencies on the voice too much, in short darken them a little...
Good point, I tried a much lower value cap and noticed an increase in highs.

With the mic I'm using, it sounds better with no cap so I'm going to run it this way for a while.

After using the Pro for a while, I thought that I would try some different mics in my collection. I had previously converted an old Cobra mic to electret using elements from telephone handsets that I use on my Stryker 955. Wouldn't you know it, the mic sounds awesome on the Pro. The stock Pro mic sounds hollow and is going to need some work, because I like the buttons on top. It would be great if the Pro had a noise gate like the 955 and Washington.

Here is the thread from the old Cobra mic conversion:

Post in thread 'President Electret Microphone Upgrade' https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/president-electret-microphone-upgrade.266369/post-815978

. The stock Pro mic sounds hollow and is going to need some work
Yeah, I noticed that too.

A cheap fix that worked for my Icom hand mic that was like that is I added some thick foam padding cut to fit with a couple large metal washers tucked inside to add some weight.

You may consider the cheap desk mic with electric element I'm using. Just on the radio talkback alone sounds better than the stock.

Select the 4 pin TenTec radio option so you'll have 4 wires to put your own PF/up/down buttons.

This is an all wired mic with no circuit boards so mods are real easy!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The 6666PRO has a much more substantial heatsink. Original 6666 with the fan is the top radio, the PRO is the bottom, notice the deeper heatsink and the increased fin count.

Attachments

• IMG_20240811_192200126_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20240811_192200126_HDR~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240811_192318768_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240811_192318768_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11
Working on figuring it out.
Remember all these Anytone and Radioddity radios have autosquelch, so you won't hear anything in AM or FM mode with the squelch control all the way off; you have to turn it up to about 15 or 20% for the squelch to be open. Turning it further clockwise it will act like a normal squelch. Full counterclockwise is autosquelch 'on'. Autosquelch is not available in SSB modes.
All of this and more is covered in the instructions that come with the radio...........

Remember all these Anytone and Radioddity radios have autosquelch, so you won't hear anything in AM or FM mode with the squelch control all the way off; you have to turn it up to about 15 or 20% for the squelch to be open. Turning it further clockwise it will act like a normal squelch. Full counterclockwise is autosquelch 'on'. Autosquelch is not available in SSB modes.
All of this and more is covered in the instructions that come with the radio...........
Unless you are an old timer like me and just turn the ASQ off (Q6pro and QT-80). So now full CCW is open Squelch for all modes.

Hi all,

I have seen a few people talking about the TONE menu setting (SSB TX Bandwidth / frequency response) in the AT-6666 PRO and QT-80. It allows for either LO 3K or HI 4K settings. I was messing around with one today so I thought some of you might find this interesting.

Below are the results by injecting white noise directly into the MIC jack, in LSB mode.

In this screenshot, you can see the TX passband (frequency response) of the 3KHz (LO 3K) and 4KHz (HI 4K) settings respectively. Each division is 1KHz. The only change made was to the radio TONE Menu. The high end cut-off is right where it should be:

PNG3.jpg

In this next screenshot, you can see the TX passband (frequency response) starts at around 200Hz. Each division is 100Hz:

PNG1.jpg

The user manual states only one value for SSB frequency response of 450 to 2500Hz, which is very narrow. As you can see, the results are "better" for general use (subjective, as maybe you might like very narrow), than the published specs.

Last edited:
Been using the desk mic I wired up for the Quad6 Pro and the on air audio reports have been very positive. I also like the audio using both the radio's talkback and monitoring on my Kenwood 890. Very similar in clean SSB audio to the stock hand mic but a bit more body to it without the hollowness.

This mic would be my recommendation for a desk mic for the Anytone. It's inexpensive and hand wired with no PCB boards so mods are easy.

As you can see I wired up three mic up/down buttons as well as the PF button which I have programmed to move the cursor under the frequency. I also added the foam windscreen which came with a BluParrot cell phone headset which fits perfectly.

Thanks to Crawdad who recommended this mic from another thread and to Dr Dx for posting the updated mic wiring diagram which is different from the older version of this radio.

What are you guys using for a mic other than the stock???

1724014570371.jpeg

Been using the desk mic I wired up for the Quad6 Pro and the on air audio reports have been very positive. I also like the audio using both the radio's talkback and monitoring on my Kenwood 890. Very similar in clean SSB audio to the stock hand mic but a bit more body to it without the hollowness.

This mic would be my recommendation for a desk mic for the Anytone. It's inexpensive and hand wired with no PCB boards so mods are easy.

What are you guys using for a mic other than the stView attachment 69871
I am only running it mobile but so far, the 3 "best" mics that I have tried have been the 575 M6, the new Stryker NC, and the President Digimike - all 3 were very clear (like the stock mic). The Digimike seems to have the most drive with the 575 M6 a close second. I rewired the stock buttons on the Digimike so it has PF, Up & Down as well. I tried the RS 21-175 NC but it didn't do as well. You really had to eat the mic to get any decent modulation out of it.

I have wired up a Turner +3 and a Sure 444D to try on the base, but haven't got around to it yet.

I have one it’s running great except the TX power is much lower in the 15 m band
That is normal. 15m is a "gift band" - the factory makes no performance claims for 15m. In testing we have found a slight reduction in RX sensitivity, and on TX we see between 40-60w PEP. It's quite useable.
The TX output on 15m remains clean with harmonic suppression still achieving around -58dBc at the band edges (it's better than this again on 12/11/10m). Not a bad result for a "10m" radio!

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.