• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best ten meter ssb radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
re the sherwood test.at-6666 rabbi is suggesting

this is from the at-6666 manual for sensitivity
ssb 0.25uV for 10db (s+n) ratio
am 1.0uV for 10db /9s+n) ratio
fm 1.0uv for 20db (s+n) ratio
now thats the manufactors claim in the back of the manual (page 10)
i have found like most 10m radios that this is the lower limit .usually out of the box they exceed this (unless it was a friday 5pm tested radio lol)
after a tune of the I.F and front end they always exceed these claims

I will note the claimed adjacent channel rejection is 60db for am/fm and 70db for ssb ..which exceeds fcc spec
.in most cases this can be further improved with out resorting to extra I.F filters or more expensive narrow ones however the gains are small and only apperiated by ssb ops like me
(this chassis like all modern 10m radios uses the 4.2khz( -6db with a shallow skirt not a ideal filter for ssb ops) main 10.695mhz I.F filter (10#4d)

and i will say it again all the sensitivty in the world will not make up for good selectivity .

why do eme operators use cw and data modes with extremely high sensitivty and exteremly low nosie floors (and yes high gain narrow beanwidth antennas?..
think about it

Attachments

• SANY4439.JPG
    SANY4439.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 208
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Simple way of ending this, state the names of who has examined your rigs and we can all contact them to get the results. If these are true techs they won't mind being asked. If you do not provide the names then this is what we all believe it to be...BS at its finest.
David Bupp @DTB Radio
Russell Clift @ Rodehog
Jack Thurston @ 292
Ron Damron @ cb radio store
Key Cb in Indiana
Q5 in Madison wisconsin
Circuit Master in Grand Island Nebraska
8541 Electronics in Laurinburg North Carolina
Mountain View Electronics exit 412 in Dandridge Tennessee
Justin Depolis @ FG best Communications
I'm sure I've forgotten a few.
If anybody lives in Pennsylvania that has a test bench I'll be more than happy to bring something over to have you look at.
Many others over the years. In fact my standard procedure would be to walk into the shop see what test equipment they have on their bench and if it looks like they are properly equipped ask them if they are capable of duplicating this low noise floor, and so far only one person has said they are capable of duplicating it.( Most likely at the expense of dynamic range )

Last edited:
Not really, I have one for a spare mobile.

The worst is the VFO is loose and sloppy with no adjustment. This is pratically unuseable and you have to use the up/down buttons instead and lock the VFO so it won't drift. This is ridiculous because the VFO is the center piece of the radio.

Lacks useful filtering and compression settings. Also power settings are only swtchable from 1 watt, 5 watt, 100 Watts. Has to be internally modified to 50 Watts only to run an amplifier.

The overall size is big for a mobile install.

The good is it has a separation kit for mobile installs for the removable head.

Audio is good and most people on the other end will give a good report as long as you don't tell them beforehand you're running an Alinco.

Good thing I got it in trade for a mobile screwdriver antenna I can't use anymore.

I'm thinking about selling it though.
That's pretty funny but true how people are. I noticed people are quick to compliment something over the airwaves until they find out what it is or who made it happen and then they magically clam up when they hear something they don't like to hear
Thank you... Now was that so hard?

I am assuming that they will know you my your name here? DTB is a child rapist (or want to be) and in jail I think.
They would recognize me as the guy with the holier-than-thou attitude as I plopped my radio on the counter and challenged them to do as good or better than what they saw but they would not know me by name.
Except Jack Thurston and Russell Clift who know me quite well. Russell unfortunately passed away
3-15-2016
And rumor has it that David bupp is still operating in business and telling people that someone used his computer and it wasn't him that was responsible for what was found on his computers.:whistle:

Last edited:
3-15-2016
And rumor has it that David bupp is still operating in business and telling people that someone used his computer and it wasn't him that was responsible for what was found on his computers.:whistle:

I guess you missed his full blown admission on his Facebook page as well as a quote in the newspaper that covered the story, to the fact that he had a problem and admitted to having committed those acts.

... it just has waaay too much gain and overloads my receiver. :whistle:

Yeah, I remember "back in the day", when certain CB antennas were advertised as having so much gain that they were illegal.

The point being that some people actually believed it (see post # 33 for example).

I guess you missed his full blown admission on his Facebook page as well as a quote in the newspaper that covered the story, to the fact that he had a problem and admitted to having committed those acts.
I didn't miss anything I was the one that broke the story
Notice this picture is off of my Photobucket account
received_807822192650721_zps7un8zw5f.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.