• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 89xlr

Ben Hebert

Nov 27, 2016
Thibodaux
i have a cobra 89xlr I purchased but when I key up my rf sig meter moves to the left instead of to the right but no output power on my watt meter.

well have you looked at the caps in it as of yet to see if there is a bunch of 10 volts in your radio? if so you will need to recap the radio before you try to repair it.

it has to have the electrolytic caps changed to new ones. if you do not know what you are doing you need to take it to some one who does. there is different values of the caps in the radio. the disk caps do not need to be changed. here is a part list of the caps. every place the factory installed 10 volt caps you need to put 16 volts back in their place. the caps put in the radio are bare minimum rated caps in the 10 volt sections which causes them to go bad 1st. there is sellers on ebay that has kits already made up for the radios you can buy. here is a parts list if you want to buy individual caps for it.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/89xlr/graphics/cobra_89xlr_parts_om.pdf

Reactions: LeapFrog
in most cases it will fix a low audio problem. you will have to get the radio to this point before you can find the actual problem if there is some thing else wrong. caps go bad and short causing a lot of the problems you are having. if you have the proper equipment and the know how you can start the alignment portion of the service manual and when you get to the section that does not align then you can trouble shoot that area by check voltages to see what is causing the problem. in most cases it will be a bad cap causing the problem.

if you are talking about the meter lights they are all over place on ebay. not sure what bulb you are talking about. other than a meter lioght

The bulb is in a rubber socket that slides into the side of the meter. You can use a white LED bulb with a 1000 ohm resistor attached to the LED positive lead - and then wire it to the board just as the original bulb was wired - FYI. So long as it is phased positive to positive and negative to negative on the board where the original bulb was wired - you're good to go.

Better light with white LEDs than with incandescent bulbs - IMO. Others still like the old incandescent/standard bulbs. Less yellow orange with white LEDs that with standard bulbs. Preference of a standard bulb (no resistor needed) or a LED (resistor needed) - is up to you.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.