• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 89xlr

Standard 5mm white LED can be had on eBay for ~$3/shipped for a 3 pack. Buy them from a US supplier. Probably get even more for that much. Get quality; not quantity. Remember, you also will need some 1000 ohm 1/4 watt resistors too. One per LED.

Last edited:
there is sellers on ebay selling led's with the resisters already added for 10 leds for 10.00 shipped. you will not even have to put a resister on it. already made up.

Reactions: Robb
I just saw a seller with a set of caps for your radio for sell. they already have the set made up for you.
just type in cobra 89xlr and numerous radios will come up plus parts.

yes that is the leds that already have the resister added. on a LED you have to make sure you put the pos wire from the radio to the pos wire of the LED or they will not work. pos to pos and neg to neg. a reg bulb will work either way but the led will not.

one thing I did not mention to you is that when you get ready to start pulling the caps to put new ones in, mark the top of each old one with a black marker so you will know the new from old . only pull one at a time and verify it is the same UF of the one you pull and then be sure you put it back in with each one in the proper direction. they have a plus and minus side to each cap.after you change two or 3 caps turn the radio on and see that it still works as it has been so you can verify you did not put one in backwards or that you have it soldered in as it should be. do not pull them all out then try to put them back in as a guy on another forum did and was lost as to what cap went where. the voltages should basically be the same on all but the 10 volt caps. they should be 16 volt or higher. you can always put a higher voltage cap in a location but not a lower voltage.do not know how the seller made up the set you are buying. so take you time and if you have a question ask before you do some thing wrong. some of the caps are tantalum and the seller may have electrolytic caps in place of them. this will work fine. so just take your time. I have been doing this for years and it takes me about 1 hour to change them all out so if it takes you longer that is not unusual. so do not get upset about the time. go slow and verify after you do a few so if the radio does not work you after a few changed you will be able to check the few to see if you put one in backwards. only use about a 25 amp soldering iron so you do not damage a trace. use a solder sucker and desolder wick to remove the old solder to get them out. i know this is long winded but do not want you to mess up a good radio. make sure the new solder when you install the caps is nice and shiney when you do your resolder work. a dull solder joint may not have the solder flowed onto the leg of the cap or the trace.
I do not buy kits since I have done this for years. I buy in bulk form so I have about 50 plus of each cap in my parts bin at each time. I buy 50 to 100 at a time depending on how many the seller has them in lots. again just mark the old ones with a marker and go from there . ask questions when in dought of any thing you are doing. you can also use a flash light to see the parts on the solder side of the board. it will shine through the circuit board just fine to see the legs.

Thanks for all the info. This is what included in the kit I bought.
The kit comprises the following capacitors (29 in total):

0.47uf/50V - Qty 1

1uf/50V - Qty 2

2.2uf/50V - Qty 4

10uf/10/16V - Qty 6

33uf/16V - Qty 3

47uf/16/25V - Qty 2

100uf/10/16/25V - Qty 3

220uf/16V - Qty 4

470uf/6.3/16V - Qty 3

2200uf/25V - Qty 1

dxChat
Help Users
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.