• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 89xlr

So just for clarification why didn't you use all the caps?
Are you saying the last couple you need to change don't match whats supplied with the kit?

this normal for a person that has not done any before. usually takes me about 1 hour on a SSB radio to change out all the caps. a AM only radio does not take as long since it does not have as many close together.

Are you seeing a higher voltage rating on the caps that you have left - compared to the caps that are still in the radio?

ALL 10v need to be replaced with higher voltage caps. 10v caps are the ones that usually fail first! So, if you need to replace a .1uf 10v cap in the radio (like C111), and all you have is a 16v or 25v .1uf cap left in the cap kit; then you can do that w/o a problem. That is an upgrade, since most 10v caps are prone to fail first. Low voltage caps are notorious for failing. The only way to keep that from happening is to use a larger voltage rated cap. Welcome to the world of electronic repair!

Then I'd suggest that you compare what you have already replaced to the schematic of this radio - to be sure that you have replaced all of them correctly.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/89xlr/graphics/cobra_89xlr_sm_sch.pdf

BTW - if you are new to this; then I'd suggest that you take all of time that you need to recap a radio. The first time I did it, I took half a day - and didn't even finish. I had to be sure that my solder joints were not globbed and the leads weren't too long coming through the board. Making sure that I didn't bridge solder joints too. Had to use magnifying glasses as well, because my eyes weren't what they used to be. But it worked, and I was glad that I took the extra time to do it right. It did get easier as I progressed farther towards completion.

Last edited:
Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.