• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 89xlr

Keeping the tip tinned after each use is a thing you can do to keep your tips in good shape. Basically, once you're done with your soldering for the day cover the tip with solder and unplug the iron without wiping it clean. This help keeps the tip from oxidizing.

• Clean the tip in-between joints, I'll load the tip up with fresh solder and fling it into an old coffee tin to remove the excess
    & then i'll add fresh solder to the joint i'm working on to get the old stuff to flow again, and the new joint to form in a nice chrome appearance, remember you don't want "cold solder joints".
  • This post is plagiarized from various sources on the net, I google searched for a lot of answers.
  • Secondly don't put pressure on the tip when soldering. Cleaning the tip with those brass metal sponge things (not an s.o.s. pad or steel wool) works great and they are a nice alternative to hot/cold shocking the iron's tip with a sponge all the time to keep it clean.
    You can twist the tip and drag it out of the "metal sponge".

Avoid pressing too hard (or for too long) on the circuit board or you'll damage a "circuit trace" (just a thin layer of metal 'glued' to a 'fiberglass board').

Last edited:
The seller suppose to send the right caps I'm missing. I had the radio on works like normal when I key the mic I hear it through another radio but no actual sound yet does this sound normal?

I was given another cobra 89xlr its way better condition. The mod meter works not transmit all but a couple caps been replaced which parts gets it to transmit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.