• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ground Plane Contest

Another setback-- radial mount snapped in two when I tripped over a radial wire while moving it. Off to Walmart for a replacement. Today is the day.

Now that is worth the wait. Cool.
I'll have to confer with BM to see whether he wants to change his vote.
Just might be a winner.

OH MAN!!!!!! THATS AWESOM LMFAO !!!

homer im sorry but this gets my vote now . now when someone gets pulled with a vehicle full of beer cans they will have evidence they wanted to copy an antenna whey seen on tha wabba wabba wabb . ;)

we also know why he took so long to build the antenna , have to get and fabricate the parts . LOL

Twisted some wire and bricks together on this 1/4 wave gp.

Talked all over the country on it with very good reports.

Used an old window squeegee handle for a vertical/gp separator.

newantenna0033.jpg

Tied the gp's at what I guess to be 45degrees with string and bricks for anchors.

newantenna0022.jpg

newantenna0011.jpg

I don't drink so I can't match the vertical support of rick's, I suppose I could have done it with pepsi cans I'd just be a copy cat and we know how many gp copies there are out there already.

Mid band is at 27.245 and it's 1.5:1 at either end of 26.375 to 28.635

Last edited:
Ha! Excelllent, Mack! You must have brought some serious heat to solder all that. McGiver style points for the squeegee handle!

And thanks, Booty-- it was a pain, but I was on a mission-- and just for the record, I'm not averse to a cool one now and then, but those were mostly from the Memorial Day shindig here. Providing the cans was a group effort and I didn't have too much trouble enlisting help. All in the name of Science, of course.

Rick

Last edited:
Ha! Excelllent, Mack! You must have brought some serious heat to solder all that. McGiver style points for the squeegee handle!

And thanks, Booty-- it was a pain, but I was on a mission-- and just for the record, I'm not averse to a cool one now and then, but those were mostly from the Memorial Day shindig here. Providing the cans was a group effort and I didn't have too much trouble enlisting help. All in the name of Science, of course.

Rick

I wish I used my better solder but I said hey it's just going in the heap when I was done with it but I am well pleased with how it reacted and was not at all hard to tune.lol just played with the length of the vertical radiator.

105'' radiator and 108'' gp's

Yeah, I think so. Otherwise we're all voting for each other!

What's interesting to me is how different each of them have been, yet they're all variations on a theme.

We have so far (correct me if I'm leaving anything out):

1. A 10K- ground mounted with elevated radials
2. A 1/4 wave PVC ground plane
3. A really cool chicken wire vertical
4. An impressive 5/8 wave
5. Beer cans and an ashtray
6. A 1/4 wave wire ground plane

I don't know how to do a poll here, so Homer run with it- just make sure we don't leave anybody out!

Rick

bravo guys!

very cool designs.

i have to give the beer cantenna a vote for originality.

just curious, can you fine tune the antenna by sipping from the top can?:D

LC

just curious, can you fine tune the antenna by sipping from the top can?:D

LC

i suspect sipping from the cans is why he kept having issues and having to put it back together . ;)

its definately between the chicken wire and the beer cans for me .
this is serious business ,,,,, theres a million dollars at stake !!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned