• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ground Plane Contest

Another setback-- radial mount snapped in two when I tripped over a radial wire while moving it. Off to Walmart for a replacement. Today is the day.

Now that is worth the wait. Cool.
I'll have to confer with BM to see whether he wants to change his vote.
Just might be a winner.

OH MAN!!!!!! THATS AWESOM LMFAO !!!

homer im sorry but this gets my vote now . now when someone gets pulled with a vehicle full of beer cans they will have evidence they wanted to copy an antenna whey seen on tha wabba wabba wabb . ;)

we also know why he took so long to build the antenna , have to get and fabricate the parts . LOL

Twisted some wire and bricks together on this 1/4 wave gp.

Talked all over the country on it with very good reports.

Used an old window squeegee handle for a vertical/gp separator.

newantenna0033.jpg

Tied the gp's at what I guess to be 45degrees with string and bricks for anchors.

newantenna0022.jpg

newantenna0011.jpg

I don't drink so I can't match the vertical support of rick's, I suppose I could have done it with pepsi cans I'd just be a copy cat and we know how many gp copies there are out there already.

Mid band is at 27.245 and it's 1.5:1 at either end of 26.375 to 28.635

Last edited:
Ha! Excelllent, Mack! You must have brought some serious heat to solder all that. McGiver style points for the squeegee handle!

And thanks, Booty-- it was a pain, but I was on a mission-- and just for the record, I'm not averse to a cool one now and then, but those were mostly from the Memorial Day shindig here. Providing the cans was a group effort and I didn't have too much trouble enlisting help. All in the name of Science, of course.

Rick

Last edited:
Ha! Excelllent, Mack! You must have brought some serious heat to solder all that. McGiver style points for the squeegee handle!

And thanks, Booty-- it was a pain, but I was on a mission-- and just for the record, I'm not averse to a cool one now and then, but those were mostly from the Memorial Day shindig here. Providing the cans was a group effort and I didn't have too much trouble enlisting help. All in the name of Science, of course.

Rick

I wish I used my better solder but I said hey it's just going in the heap when I was done with it but I am well pleased with how it reacted and was not at all hard to tune.lol just played with the length of the vertical radiator.

105'' radiator and 108'' gp's

Yeah, I think so. Otherwise we're all voting for each other!

What's interesting to me is how different each of them have been, yet they're all variations on a theme.

We have so far (correct me if I'm leaving anything out):

1. A 10K- ground mounted with elevated radials
2. A 1/4 wave PVC ground plane
3. A really cool chicken wire vertical
4. An impressive 5/8 wave
5. Beer cans and an ashtray
6. A 1/4 wave wire ground plane

I don't know how to do a poll here, so Homer run with it- just make sure we don't leave anybody out!

Rick

bravo guys!

very cool designs.

i have to give the beer cantenna a vote for originality.

just curious, can you fine tune the antenna by sipping from the top can?:D

LC

just curious, can you fine tune the antenna by sipping from the top can?:D

LC

i suspect sipping from the cans is why he kept having issues and having to put it back together . ;)

its definately between the chicken wire and the beer cans for me .
this is serious business ,,,,, theres a million dollars at stake !!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.