• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help, I am bleeding my TV

"I thought by reading on this forum for years about grounding that it is thI will try the sugestions on here like the beads on the cords and all and check asll channels but I still want enlightened on the ground causing the problem or at least making it worse. There is got to be a reason for that and e right thing to do. So why is grounding it making worse not better?????"

did you say that you had an electrical line buried to your garage?
is it in conduit ?
or the stuff you can bury directly ?
if it is type uf, "the gray stuuf that's rated for direct burial "
it may have a nick or opening in the jacket
and when you drove a new ground rod
you may have introduced a feedback of line voltage
AKA "ground loop"

you may be unintentionally putting a charge on everything youre trying to ground
without solving the original problem

you also may have just a cheap tv , with a crappy antenna

imho, toroids and chokes serve a purpose , but if you had a problem before , then you cant think that it's all related to your upgrade

told you i'd explain, and BTW my names not ron

anyway , hope you get it sorted out
time for me to shut up and play my guitar
YouTube - Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar - Pink Napkins

73's de rich

you still have a problem
and as along as you are delving into it, why not solve it completely

what channels does your wife normally watch ?
and how far are you from these stations transmitters?

a home brew folded dipole made out of twin lead might do a lot better
than rabbit ears for vhf tv

and a closed loop might work better for uhf

just depends on your situation
have you made any preparations for the switch to digital ?
a digital converter may also be a Fix!

my 2 cents

Since I am diving into it I want to fix this.

My wife watches channel 27 and 43 most.

The stations are from 15 miles to about 30 miles I am guessing.

Yes I got a box and it works good on the ch 15 whicjh is only 15 miles away but just barely gets a good enough signal to work on 43 but does not work on 27 and it causes pixels so I get yelled at any way, Ha HA HA so no it did not fix it but the stations will boost power I heard when they do go 100% digital.

AP

Roger, disconnect the rabbit ears and see if all goes away. Also another question. When you use the HT is it by battery or are you using an electric adapter for power ( walwart)?

Last edited:
I am sorry N9RZD, I was not calling you Ron I was starting to talk to Ron to tell him that I have an aluminum ground plane antenna too, did not mean to call you the wrong name.

Ron,I connected the copper ground to the base of the maco 5/8 at the bolt used to mount it to a mast, you know where you slip it on a mast and then tighten that bolt against the mast.

I then ran it down one leg to a 8ft ground rod with one of the connectors made to connect copper wire to the rod and used nolaux on the connections.

I just tried an experament. I talked on my 7000 and not a problem what so ever. This is great but the 2970dx causes very little horizontal white lines when I talk but no voices or such come accross. I does not bother my wife.

VHF still a problem thogh so I just go in the far room to talk. I am afraid that when I get the Diamont vhf/uhf up and use mt 7000 on those bands it will cause a problem, we will see.

AP

My guess with your ground is that it was acting as part of the antenna . I'm glad you can talk on it now. Getting beat up by the Mrs. can hurt one's ego ! :)

When I use the ht I am on internal battery.

When you say unhook the rabbit ears I am not sure I understand what that would do. When I unhook them I will not get a signal and will have snow and that sound it makes.

Unless there is another way. how about playing a dvd in the dvd player and unhooking the rabbit ears or hooking the rabbit ears to the vcr tuner and then the vcr tunner to the tv and see, maybe the vcr has a better receiver.

AP

My guess is if you disconnect the ears is that it should still cause some distortion such as lines.This is just to see if there may be a problem with the ears. Seeing if this may be a solving of the HT problem.

de rich/N9RZD, Now I want to understand what and why the ground acts this way.

You asked about my burried service for the garage. The electric service runs from my 200 amp house service to my garage service uner ground about 13 ft from the antenna ground and it is in gray plastic conduit. and the ground from the garage is right out of the wall from the breaker box into the earth and it is also 13ft away from my antenna ground.

Ron, can you get on 28.325 and see if we can talk. I dont know if it will make a difference or not putting my tower up.
it did not do much for me and Joe but did for guys in Pottstown and reading area.

I have the radio on now.

AP

What do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes?

NOTHING! As long as that damn TV is OFF when I am on the radio! :drool:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.