• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I think I am doing something wrong.

Go Broad Band radio. Use a sweep generator and go from 1.8 MHz to 50 MHz for your local reference oscillator. Then you could be on all channels all of the time.
Band width? We don't need no stinking band width. Sort of from movie Sierra Madre

Go Broad Band radio. Use a sweep generator and go from 1.8 MHz to 50 MHz for your local reference oscillator. Then you could be on all channels all of the time.
Band width? We don't need no stinking band width. Sort of from movie Sierra Madre
I'm just going to go with a cordless electric drill attached to the vfo knob with some J-B Weld!
(I just need a cool name for this new "mod".)

The DPVFO 2000. It slices, dices, and has variable speed control. You can hit one end of the spectrum to the other in a matter of seconds without using your band switch!!! ;):ROFLMAO::D

The DPVFO 2000. It slices, dices, and has variable speed control. You can hit one end of the spectrum to the other in a matter of seconds without using your band switch!!! ;):ROFLMAO::D
This thread is making me seriously consider buying a HF rig that you've been trying to talk me into. Can you imagine if I installed an echo board with a big chrome knob sticking through the face. I'd bet at least 15 heart attacks and aneurysms would result.

On second thought, I better not. I don't want radio to literally be a dying hobby.

So they don't "Get Down"? that's dumb. Some people have to have a drink, some a cigarette, and others a line. I just need to clip a resistor. These resistors are getting so small that I have to clip even more to have the same effect. Don't judge me

338, I am in no way saying you have to get one. And HF radio that is. It's just I got to a point where I was tired of paying $300 minimum for an export radio. Shoot the Stryker 955 when it came out wasn't cheap. Close to $400 or more at some places if memory serves me right. Now I see they are down more toward the $340 mark or a little less. But then you have to get it converted and an alignment and tune. By the time your done over $400.
Now do that 2-3 times and you could have bought a kenwood 480hx, an Icom 7000, an Icom 7300, yaseu 450d and many other radios as well as many used ones.
I did it. And I got tired of spending that much for a mobile export radio.
The difference on SSB anyways is like apples to oranges. AM not so much on most of the rigs. No super loud audio! But you can get them to sound good with the right settings. Just nice and clean. But I talked on SSB 99% of the time, so it was a no brainer for me. I ended up with 2 radio for about $900. A kenwood ts140s and an Icom 746. This was a couple years ago and both are still going strong.
Anyways. It's not my choice what you get. I see Stryker has a new 94HPC out for $165 or around there. It's an export and is AM only, but it's a nice little radio. Anyways. Good luck with whatever you get.
Try some different mics on the optima. I am telling you that the 2018 extreme does a good job on that radio. As does the Icom HM36 made in Japan mic and a few others. They say that the Icom HM-219 mics that are the ones that come with the new 7300 radio work pretty well too. Never tried one as my HM36 works well. The other thing you can try is the EQ's that are sold for Icom 8 pin mics. A 5 band cost $89.00. Get the ones out the Ukraine. They are the original ones updated and have the right frequencies. The other ones you might see I have heard aren't that good. They also have an 8 band for $135 obo. Just some food for thought.

One reason most radio operators don't modify the crap out of their radios is because they are pretty damn good right out of the box.
Most don't unlock the clarifiers or throw modulating toys in them. I can't ever remember hearing a ECHO box on ham radio.
You can get most of what you want with front panel adjustments.

Reactions: LeapFrog
I'll say this. The optima MK3 is one of the few radio I will say is it's a darn good radio for what they are. No bells and whistles type crap. Just a darn good radio for being what it is. One of of the few I would keep if I were to get rid of most of my stuff.
It truly is a great SSB radio and works well on 10-12 meters. And FM sounds very good too. And I am speaking of going into a dummy load and listening on another radio. Not a live broadcast on FM. Heck no!! No way, No how. Don't need the trouble!!! Anyhow. I am a ham radio guy these days but I wouldn't hesitate to use my optima for SSB if needed!!

Reactions: LeapFrog
Wow, I took this thread from using a drill on the vfo to dead serious real quick. I suppose I will go back down to cb land and leave you to your fun.
Well the thread's original post is a satire on cb/export modifications in my opinion so..
what am I doing wrong?
Please note this was done in jest....
I agree with Tallman.
One reason most radio operators don't modify the crap out of their radios is because they are pretty damn good right out of the box.
Most don't unlock the clarifiers or throw modulating toys in them. I can't ever remember hearing a ECHO box on ham radio.
This, 100%!

I am seriously considering selling off many/all of my CB's/Exports to buy a (real) multi mode/band HF rig, & get my ticket while i'm at it.

Where exactly can I get the super wackpack for my Yaesu?
Rest assured I can provide you with the proper blue LED's, for free.
All I have to do is reach into my "Custom CB Stuff" bin, pull a few out & mail 'em to you!
LMK ASAP, This is SERIOUS I don't want you to have to suffer without the custom "harsh blue" LED's for long! (y)
I also have some extra "GALAXY FINALS!!!"t o throw in with the LED's, please let me know
as I cannot wait to get away from all that non-sense.

Last edited:
I can't ever remember hearing a ECHO box on ham radio.

I have. I occasionally hear some of the essb guys with some slight reverb. Not my cup of tea but it happens.

One of them plays a loud radio in the background. Maybe to keep the watt meter moving when he pauses....who knows.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.