• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Very new. Very confused.

Is it as simple as I have drawn here? The left part is only black because it's a different color but if it's this simple... wow... I just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.

Also, what exactly is tuning? Is it trimming pieces off or what is tuning? [Nevermind this question.. went back and re-read Robb's post about SWR]

Revised picture to show what I assume is the excess where u connect the cable to the radio

REvised again to show lengths

Attachments

• antenna.bmp
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Don't think that will work with mobile. Remember CB stands for constantly buying, it is going to be hard to have a very good setup for $10, just save some money and buy the right gear first. It will be worth it in the long run.

Anyone? lol
i think a few things may have been overlooked here.first you will need an swr meter to check your match.second you can always use a car battery to get you started.third them 102 in whips from rat shack can be used as a base antenna.i made a dipole antenna with two 8 foot pieces of wire and soldered them to the coax i will try to throw some pics up for you to get an idea.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 205
  • pRS1C-2077825_rshalt1_dt.jpg
    pRS1C-2077825_rshalt1_dt.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 232
Is it as simple as I have drawn here? The left part is only black because it's a different color but if it's this simple... wow... I just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.

Also, what exactly is tuning? Is it trimming pieces off or what is tuning? [Nevermind this question.. went back and re-read Robb's post about SWR]

Revised picture to show what I assume is the excess where u connect the cable to the radio

REvised again to show lengths

The E-how description of building an antenna for CB leaves a lot to be desired. The author's description seems to indicate that the Half Wave Dipole is joined at the ends to form a sort of end-fed-half-wave-mutant-folded-dipole. What you have drawn probably wouldn't work very well. Now, if you don't join the ends together, and stretch it out horizontally, or vertically, as 1342 has done, you will have a very fine performing antenna.

The a99 will work for 10,11,12 meters without a tuner I think. With a tuner it will do a little more. It is going to cost some money to get into cb, instead of going cheap save your money for a few weeks and then by quality gear. The a99 isn't the best cb antenna but many people have used them for years with no problems. Remember you will also need, say 30 feet if good coax and some metal masting to mount your antenna on and an swr meter. Don't buy cheap coax you WILL REGRETE IT! For a 150 bucks you could have a good base station antenna system, add a small 5 amp power supply and you could run your mobile as a base. If you keep trying to buy the cheapest gear you can find you are going to end up with junk. Take a few weeks or months and save you money so you can do it right. A simple a99 paired with a ssb radio and you can talk all over the U.S. and Canada. Add 100 bucks for a galaxy 949 from sparkys and there ya go. If you have anymore questions please ask, I am trying to help the best I can.

The A99 will work on 10,11,15, and 17 meter. You don't need LMR 400, but you can buy a good RG8X from RF Connection, for about 33 cents a foot. It is 100% foil shield with a good jacket.
Rich

The a99 will work for 10,11,12 meters without a tuner I think. With a tuner it will do a little more. It is going to cost some money to get into cb, instead of going cheap save your money for a few weeks and then by quality gear. The a99 isn't the best cb antenna but many people have used them for years with no problems. Remember you will also need, say 30 feet if good coax and some metal masting to mount your antenna on and an swr meter. Don't buy cheap coax you WILL REGRETE IT! For a 150 bucks you could have a good base station antenna system, add a small 5 amp power supply and you could run your mobile as a base. If you keep trying to buy the cheapest gear you can find you are going to end up with junk. Take a few weeks or months and save you money so you can do it right. A simple a99 paired with a ssb radio and you can talk all over the U.S. and Canada. Add 100 bucks for a galaxy 949 from sparkys and there ya go. If you have anymore questions please ask, I am trying to help the best I can.

If you just read the previous posts, the man already has a radio and a power supply, and only wants to get on the air, not buy a complete station. All he needs is an antenna some coax and a 2x2 or pipe for a mast and he is talking. The A99 will be fine. In time, he can get newer and better equipment if he wants to upgrade. I agree with the RG8X. Works fine and is not expensive.

You were talking about the Wilson Lil Will antenna a few posts back.

I had one for a while that I used on a RCI 2950 radio.And I was surprised at the performance that I did get out of it on AM and SSB.

I will admit it wasn't anywhere near as good as the 1000 or 5000 but if you are wanting to get a cheaper antenna that will work for now,that would most likely be the way to go and they are not a bad looking antenna.DO NOT try to run any power with that antenna,it will just not handle much more than 50 watts...and yes take the time to get the swr properly set,that will make all the difference in the world and keep your radio happy in the process

all the folks that have replied to you are in no way trying to discourage you from getting into radioing as a hobby.Each of them here has had many years experience with most all brands of radios,antennas,meters,coax, CBs as well as ham ....We all are just trying to make sure that you don't make the same mistakes that we all have made throughout the years

I can speak from experience that at one time I was where you are at now,and it wasn't long I was looking to upgrade my station,a bit better radio with single sideband,a little better antenna...The radio hobby can be very addicting to say the least.....Then one day I made my first long range (aka skip or DX) contact...and I was completely hooked,and I am sure you will be as well...Just take your time and sooner than you think you will be enjoying your new found hobby

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. kd-5, I am working my way there haha. I have dipped in and I think I'm hooked. I bought a cheap cheap CHEAP ($1) glass mount antenna at a garage sale. I hooked it up in my house on my radio with a power supply and started hearing people chatting. I started reading about those and read they transmitted horribly. I went an bought a cheap ($25) antenna from advanced auto parts and I have it magmounted on my trunk and the radio hooked up in the car. I am planning on upgrading that eventually but for now it's ok. The radio was $5 so if I do kill it it won't be the end of the world.

I have had a few short conversations. There is a sheetz opening in my area and I asked if anyone knew when it was opening. One guy responded saying he didn't know but it was going to make the intersection hell. I responded and said it would definitely be crazy and he agreed. It was short but I am ecstatic that my system works! I haven't done a radio check/breaker yet because I can't get the guts up haha I'm still a little nervous. Even though it's pretty much anonymous I'm still a little nervous about engaging other people on it. Any tips for that?

I am also currently scavenging for a second cheap radio (craigslist etc) so I can set up a small base station in my house mostly for testing purposes (for now) so I can see how I sound in my car and what my range is like. Eventually, I'm planning an a99 for this. I have to do more reading on antennas and radio waves though for now.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

ALSO:
Solarcon A99 ten meter vertical antenna, pretty nice shape. Cut for 10 meters. $30.

Found that on craigslist... I'm still not sure about all the meter stuff, would an antenna cut for 10 meters still work with cb?

Last edited:
Grab the A-99. Should be fine if it is not butchered. As for your first convo, you are doing what most of us did. LISTEN, and when you are ready, you will make that first call. I would try to find a local channel where the people seem like the kind you would like to be around, and hang there. In time, you will get to know the names, and the voices, and that makes it seem a lot more like home.

Keep up the good work. You are getting there.(y)

Cut for 10 meters
The guy who owns it has probably cut a little off the top of the antenna to get an acceptable SWR on 10 meters. That is the Ham Band right above the CB Band. ( the cb band uses 26.965 to 27.405 Mhz and ten meters is 28 to 29.6)
E mail the guy and ask him if he can check the SWR for you in the CB Band, they have tuning rings on the bottom of the antenna that can be adjusted to set the SWR and if he has not removed to much material it might still work.
I would ask him before you plunk the money down.......you can also look on flea bay. Stay away from the real short fiberglass so called base antennas that can be found on there.

Also, have a look at this thread
tp://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/59608-ground-plane-contest.html

The guys that built these antennas are all here on the forum, and you can message them and ask questions about how they built the antennas shown in the thread ( your welcome guys (y) ) and they do work, most of them can be built at home.

Jeff

The guy who owns it has probably cut a little off the top of the antenna to get an acceptable SWR on 10 meters. That is the Ham Band right above the CB Band. ( the cb band uses 26.965 to 27.405 Mhz and ten meters is 28 to 29.6)
E mail the guy and ask him if he can check the SWR for you in the CB Band, they have tuning rings on the bottom of the antenna that can be adjusted to set the SWR and if he has not removed to much material it might still work.
I would ask him before you plunk the money down.......you can also look on flea bay. Stay away from the real short fiberglass so called base antennas that can be found on there.

Also, have a look at this thread
tp://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/59608-ground-plane-contest.html

The guys that built these antennas are all here on the forum, and you can message them and ask questions about how they built the antennas shown in the thread ( your welcome guys (y) ) and they do work, most of them can be built at home.

Jeff

Thanks! I'll look around there! I had noticed the cut to 10 meters thing but that's what I was asking was if the 10meter cut would still work. I see you're saying ask him to check the swr which I will do. The antenna is a little far away so unless it's a steal I don't think I'll do it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.