• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Very new. Very confused.

Like highlander says the wilson 1000 antenna is a good antenna and if I was you and I was going to do cb that's the one I would get. As for 2 meter, you can get a setup for the same price as as good cb setup thats why for the money it would be a good idea. Yeasu has some very nice 2 meter mobiles for 130.00 or so, that is cheaper than most cb radios.

You can do cb since you got one already and while doing cb build your shack to include 2 meter if you like it. I just think you might get better idea of it all if you do 2 meter too.

Good luck with what ever you do,
AP

Yeah; it's pretty much 'junk'. Sorry. It will work - but poorly. Poorly enough to discourage you.

The first thing to learn about this hobby, is that the antenna is the most important element/part!

The radio you have is 'OK'; but you can make up for some of its shortcomings by implementing a decent antenna. The suggestion for the magnetic mount Wilson 1000 is an excellent suggestion. It will mount on the top of your vehicle and be removed in a jiffy - if need be. Better to mount it on the roof than the rear deck of the car, it will work best and have no tuning problems.

The next important rule about radios is, all antennas will need to be tuned - or checked for their state of tune!

Without the antenna properly tuned - before too long of usage - the transmitter itself can be damaged and then need to be repaired. This is why new radio operators get discouraged; they end up damaging their radios and not know 'why'. You will still need a cheap SWR meter and 3 ft jumper coax to set the tuning on the antenna. Reread my first post on this thread, and you will see a link that says 'SWR'. That is all you need to know about SWR to keep your radio alive and the antenna transmitting to its maximum ability. Without it, you are almost sure to cause the radio to fail. I don't make these rules, I have just observed them to be true

Yeah; it's pretty much 'junk'. Sorry. It will work - but poorly. Poorly enough to discourage you.

The first thing to learn about this hobby, is that the antenna is the most important element/part!

The radio you have is 'OK'; but you can make up for some of its shortcomings by implementing a decent antenna. The suggestion for the magnetic mount Wilson 1000 is an excellent suggestion. It will mount on the top of your vehicle and be removed in a jiffy - if need be. Better to mount it on the roof than the rear deck of the car, it will work best and have no tuning problems.

The next important rule about radios is, all antennas will need to be tuned - or checked for their state of tune!

Without the antenna properly tuned - before too long of usage - the transmitter itself can be damaged and then need to be repaired. This is why new radio operators get discouraged; they end up damaging their radios and not know 'why'. You will still need a cheap SWR meter and 3 ft jumper coax to set the tuning on the antenna. Reread my first post on this thread, and you will see a link that says 'SWR'. That is all you need to know about SWR to keep your radio alive and the antenna transmitting to its maximum ability. Without it, you are almost sure to cause the radio to fail. I don't make these rules, I have just observed them to be true

I know but I'm just getting discouraged because of the costs as well. I would rather not go spend $50-$100 on an antenna at this point in time. I know that's part of the hobby but I plan on expanding in the future if I enjoy it but it's hard to get started in it when I don't even know how it's all going to work out even after I spend almost $80 on an antenna. I know this probably sounds dumb I just don't have an endless amount of money nor do I have enough to just throw a large amount into something so I would rather start small and struggle with what I have until I feel I CAN upgrade. HOWEVER, I also don't want to start with a horrible piece of junk that will make me go "CB is stupid there's no one on..." I mean I saw a ton of magnet mount antennas for like <$25 at this cb shop I went to a while back. Are they all junk because they weren't expensive? (I'm sorry I can't think of a way to word this sentence so it doesn't sound harsh. I'm not meaning it to sound harsh I'm asking seriously.)

You got the radio for free; yes?
SO, you can look for a used Wilson 1000 mag mount and spend $40-50 and have something that will give you satisfaction for many years to come!

BTW - it will also be able to handle the power from sizable amplifiers as well. So getting this antenna at this point can allow you to grow!

The reason you saw a ton of those cheap antennas - is because no one wanted to use them. They just work too poorly.
If you only want to spend $25; then get a Wilson 'Little Wil'. I say that reluctantly; if they don't have that - just await untill you can afford the extra bux.
Ugggh; never thought I would write that!

You will STILL need to adjust/tune the antenna with a SWR meter.
Can't get around that piece of equipment either!
In truth - don't even risk talking on your radio until you adjust the SWR on the antenna you have now!!!

Are the lil wil's horrible? All you said was u say that reluctantly so I don't know whether u mean it's awful or what haha. I did see those. What I'd really like is to find someone selling a used one for like half price...

The only sub $30 antenna I can think of that would be worth the trouble would be a 102 inch whip from Radio Shack for 19.99. But you still need a mount and coax for it, and I think you stated that you didn't want a HUGE whip, right? But the 102 will generally outperform any other omnidirectional mobile CB antenna. So cheap and good yes, small no.

Probably wouldn't be much difference in performance between the Little Wil and that Cobra 1500 Magmount at Dick's. They will both work for rather short distances, but nowhere near what a decent antenna like a Wilson 1000 or K40 would. That's the bottom line.

Look I strongly recommend the Wilson 1000, not the little wil. It will do ok but say the extra money!!!, and buy the 1000. I see this too many times a newbie buys a $5 radio and a $5 antenna and isn't satisfied with the results, then quits the hobby all together. By the way what type of radio do you have? To have a good mobile setup it will take a least $100 and probably even more, but it is worth it. Once again I strongly recommend a ssb radio. Sparkys cb shack has the Galaxy 949 radios on sale peaked and tuned clarifier unlocked for under 100 bucks that is a good deal. It is a great AM radio and will hold its own on ssb. That and a Wilson 1000 and you would be talking. Trust me though stay away from those cheap made antennas. I know you said you didn't want a big antenna but the 102'' whip will out talk any mobile antenna I know of.

Look I strongly recommend the Wilson 1000, not the little wil. It will do ok but say the extra money!!!, and buy the 1000. I see this too many times a newbie buys a $5 radio and a $5 antenna and isn't satisfied with the results, then quits the hobby all together. By the way what type of radio do you have? To have a good mobile setup it will take a least $100 and probably even more, but it is worth it. Once again I strongly recommend a ssb radio. Sparkys cb shack has the Galaxy 949 radios on sale peaked and tuned clarifier unlocked for under 100 bucks that is a good deal. It is a great AM radio and will hold its own on ssb. That and a Wilson 1000 and you would be talking. Trust me though stay away from those cheap made antennas. I know you said you didn't want a big antenna but the 102'' whip will out talk any mobile antenna I know of.

My radio is a Midland Weathermax III I got it at a garage sale for $5 lol.

Will cheap doesn't always mean bad quality,that radio will do fine for you. I meant that there are some complete junk radios out there, that should not be one of them though. I really recomend getting a decent antenna. With a wilson 1000 and a decent radio people have talked all over the world when conditions are right.

No, it really is that simple to build a cheap, effective antenna. Just get it as high as you can (Don't stop at 36 feet, lol) and you will talk all over the place.

Wow... It seems so simple.. the hardest part seems like it would be getting it high up as I have a single story house... Though we are on top of a hill so I guess I could put it hanging off of the roof and then just talk to people lower in altitude?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.