• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who to tune or not to tune my new Galaxy radio?

I hate to see consumers get taken to the cleaners.

I have been 86'd from 1 stop electronics in the past as well. And yes it did happen.

I have purchased parts in the past from Copper and H&Y, no problems at all. Is it me or are parts getting harder to come by? I certainly hope cbs and related items don't become a comodity like computers.

Ask questions and stay away from hack shops! Look at Freecells black and white list as a starting point. Look at forums, look at qrz.com. At least you will be somewhat educated before that next big purchase.

Best wishes to all!

Well I ordered a NEW OmegaForce w/tune and Magnaforce 350 from 1Stop. After installing, everyone that I talk with going down the road asked what is wrong with your radio. :( Radio stayed in for 1 ½ days, sent it back, noticed that the meter was messed up and sticking, also told them that every report I got said it sounded bad, distorted. After two weeks sent a PM to find out what was going on. Got a message back that the meter was fixed, as for the tune-up, everything checked out, was supposedly used on the bench for two days and every report they get from the locals say it sounds good, would ship out the next day. :D 2 weeks later radio arrives; from the tracking number radio went out 1 week from the next day. Re-installed it and all reports I get say it still sounds bad and distorted. So either the locals around there do not know what a good radio sounds like or they were blowing smoke up their A**, or 1 Stop was trying to blow it up mine. :evil: After a couple days noticed that the volume started getting weaker and weaker, I had to turn it up all the way to hear anything. I then take the radio to a local shop, he puts it on the scope, I am no tech, but even I could tell it was not right by looking at the scope. The scope looked like two lines filled with snow! :shock: He opens it up and calls me over to the bench, asks if this is a new radio, shows me where the boards look like they have been wet and has oxidation film on them. Shows me the one board that I guess is the talkback/echo board that looks like it was busted and soldered back together and says it looks like a board is missing. :twisted: He also finds a transistor added which was causing most of the problems, removes it :twisted: , and radio look’s better on the scope. Does some adjustments and gets it the best he can. Writes out on the receipt, de-butchered the radio. Get home and send 1Stop a PM message, which was over two weeks ago, still have not heard a thing from them, no phone call, nothing. After the first week of waiting, I filed with American Express with their 90-day return policy for the radio, still going to end up costing me around $85, with shipping twice, tuning, and de-butchering :( . Will I buy anything from 1Stop again, HELL NO. Will they see this and 86 me from their forum? Who cares! :roll:

Now that's a hell of a way to start off on a new Forum ....or so it seems that was your first post . To bad you couldn't have taken some pictures for all of us too see ,even then ,I doubt that would have mattered much. Your post would have more then likely been better off over there rather then making your case over here . Why is that ? I personally don't like to see anybody get ripped off Nukeman ......just seems like this thread was fresh pick'in's for your beef. Good luck to you.

Switchkit, actually I think it is good that Nukeman posted here. I believe he is doing us a service and backing up what I have stated. As far as posting on their forum, it might make it but than would be deleted. Hey maybe we should ask Moleculo if we could have a whitelist and blacklist category. I would support it. Thank you, Ben

Lists Huh, I think all lists are biased. They are like politics and bent to one view or another. I got a cobra 200 on order from 1stop and I will give a unbiased report when I get it. But so far I talked to a person named Frank and he seemed a very nice and informative person about the radio. So if you do start a list you can put my vote down good or bad.

I know threads like this tend to be bashing threads and if that is going to be the case I got a place I can add.

Sherlock, I was not trying to bash. Why did I post it here, Switch Kit? Just telling of my dealings with them so when PsRumers or anyone else, gets their radio from them and gets the same kind of reports that I got with mine, they can open it up and maybe find out in enough time to dispute the charges if a credit card is used.
Who knows, I could have been 1 out of a 1000 to get a bad one and the other 999 will be good, which I hope is the case.

Ok, I'm not sure how the information got confused, but here's my history. I've never worked for 1-stop, or any of their affiliates. The only connection I have with one-stop is that I post on their forum from time to time. I've been self-employed since about 1993. I started out as a contracted tech, then opened my own shop in 1998.

I understand your view, Switchkit.

Mitsurugi, how am I misinformed? I am sharing my experiences so as to help my fellow electronic enthusiasts. What have I missed?

I have spoken to Frank and Karl on several occasions. At the time Karl told me that he and Frank co-owned 1 Stop Electronics. Whether this is true or not I am not sure just going by what I was told.

Also I was told in the past that this is the same Karl that owns MagnaForce. William Warlock in Richmond, Virginia was the gentleman who told this to me.

I have had stuff done by RRcom, SS8541, Copper, Bills, EEI, Quackshack, Rolling Radios and 1 Stop Electronics and others I cant remember right now (crs). with the last 2, Frank at 1 Stop and Rolling Radio being are my 2 techs now. I am not saying the other guys are bad. I am just saying that these 2 places and people are my go to guys :D Everybody has there favorite techs. And if you have been done wrong its ok to get it out there. But there is 2 sides to every story out there and both sides are always right ;) This is just my 2Cents as a fellow radio operator.

why bother

i have been saying this for two weeks now.
but thease so called expert tech,s do not get it.
if you like the work your tech. guy is doing for you.
and you are happy whith his work. great.
but the techs on hear will tell you he is a hack.
so they will get your buisness!!!!!!!!
jon :x

The hack name is earned more than it is given. Id say 75% of "techs" are hacks. The other 25% actually know what they are talking about. I have personal experience with Justin, 307, Quackshack, Copper, and a host of other techs. Out of them all the first 3 know there stuff and will get my return business. The rest were wannabes and earned their HACK title

For me, after playing with CB radios for the past 11 years, and being members of numerous forums for years, I think frmboybuck has a good point. Few techs do I let inside my radios. I would rather run a stock radio than a butchered one.

I have a radio tuned by RollingRadios and I'm real happy with it. No cut limiters, no removed/disabled AMC circuits. It sounds real good on the airwaves which is my objective. There are limited techs I would recommend based on my personal opinion (but not necessarily personal experience), and listed in no particular order, Richard SSB 8541, Justin, RollingRadios, 307, TwelveVolt (Quackshack), Rogerbird, Doc's, Bob's CB. Each has their own way of tuning radios without trashing them (i.e. Butcher them).

I know I corresponded with DTB Radio asking him to remove RollingRadios from his blacklist (which is NOT his, a link as he stated). He had a different opinion, but his email was very thorough, professional and knowledgable. I was impressed by his demeanor then as I am here now. I would not have a problem sending a radio to him either and see how things turned out.

Many people have had good results from Frank at 1Stop. I would not hesitate to send a radio to him either and see for myself the results.

I have purchased many items from Coppers over the years, but shy away from letting them tune my radio. Don't know why, just a gut feeling. I may be wrong.

Bottom line for me is this list of who I would send a radio to, and pay for a tune, shipping, etc. is less than 10 people/companies in the world.. I don't claim to be the most knowledgable person out here, but I've always been told I have real good common sense, and that is one thing even I agree with.

If you are someone looking for the who-is-who? of tunes that have reputations to uphold (for good clean audio and performance), maybe my post is for your consideration. If you just want to be loud and don't care how many channels you splatter, look elsewhere.

I hope I did not leave anybody out of my top "10" list.

Alsworld

I had a radio tuned by 1Stop. Crap. It wouldn't DK any less than 6W. I had to jumper a resistor to fix it.

Had one tuned by Cherry at CBR, it was good. Can't reccomend for repairs, but tunes are good.

Why send it off? Go to www.cb tricks.com and do it yourself.That site has all the info you will need to convert,peak it out and improve the receive. With the information on that site there is no reason what so ever to pay someone else to do it when you can do it yourself and most likely do a better job. Just take your time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.