• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YOUR Opinion On Free-Banding

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been going on ever since i was starting into cb back in 1967 in December.It was 23 channel,and channel 16 was for ssb.We hung out around 27.285lsb then,i was midwest control 142 mc142...had a Browning mk3a and a d and a raider...wow,that was along time ago.I dont care about free-banders,just stay off 28.00 to 28315 fm please.I still run on 28385lsb 24/7....73s de JW 2w1267

Considering I don't think the FCC should even exist, I really don't give a damn what frequency people choose.
Ha Ha.....good point!

Feed- Banding
...Well lets see, I never had a license to use my first 23 channel CB on 11 meters and I still don't have a license as of today to use the 11 meters - so I guess 11 meter free-banding is GREAT!!!!!!!!

as long as it's tastefully done with out interfering with amature,military or emergency communications i don't think the FCC even wants to bother with freebanders. most of the time above 40 and below 1 you won't really hear anyone unless DX is rolling. most guys you hear on the freebands conduct themselves respectfully anyway there just trying to get away from the romper room stuff.

I view it as a form of Urban Exploration. Sort of like steam tunneling, roofing, exploring abandoned hospitals and factories, rail tunnels, etc.

Electronic Trespassing. A sort of transient Vandalism that leaves behind no trace.

I used to do it a lot before I got my General. Lots of guys probably do/did what I did---have the tech ticket for VHF/UHF, and the Freeband was our HF. I don't do it much anymore.

Like asking how we feel about robbing a liquor store....Hey, I'll never do but if you want to I couldn't care less. It's illegal on a Federal level. Am I wrong? Aside from adding channel 22b to a Comstat 25B in 1974 when I was 17 years old...I've operated "inside" my band privledges since...

Lile I said in another post..it's all about integrity. And I'm not trying to be the radio police here..like I said, I couldn't care less what you do.

As long as they don't transmit on amateur bands I don't care.
What bothers me is when licensed operator is transmitting on freeband.
In my opinion when you are on the other side - licensed, you agree to respect the rules as amateur radio operator.
Mike

i don't know any REAL hams that did not start by taking things apart usually toys tellephones or your dads broken radio ( ok so it did work but you needed the parts ) as a kid to build something else, could have been a transmitter/bug, something that beeps when your siblings come into your room made from an orp12 from a roadworks warning light or just something to electrocute your school friends,

i was about 10years old when i got into radio, my first homebrew transmitter was a car ignition coil two 6v batteries from a road lamp and key made from nappy pins,

within days i got into broadcasting, i was no george noory but i was on the air with my portable record player, two pencil leads, some wood, drawing pins and long copper wire pulled from a battery charger transformer to make a spark gap tx that i could hear with its raspy audio everywhere over mw radio,

the back emf smoked the stereo's output which lead me to use an old mono valve audio amp wired straight to the record players cartridge and a realisation of what happens when voltage on a coil collapses,
i will never forget the smell as my graphite burned away, or that if i let it burn too wide it started arcing across the fingerprints on the coils insulating cap,

my neighburs dad, an ex navy tellegrapher amused at my antics loaned me his pump key, the key his shipmates presented him when he retired, i remember it had his name on it with "SPARKS" inserted between his first and surname,

i made a cw transmitter from a kids electonics kit astable multivibrator keyed into my stereo line in, di di dah dit - di di da, thought i was MARCONI,
i would record my raspy transmissions on tape then send him the tape,
he would send me a tape back which i played at slow speed so i could decode it,

the other kind of ham,
the memorising answers to pass an easy exam black box operating g5rv buying yappers grumpy old men and spectrum policemen who buy everything and send their radios away for repair will never be real hams to me,
dxcc's don't mean squat if you don't have the solder burns to go with em,

if there had been no freebanding there would be no hams today:D

I have no problem where anyone talks as long as common sense is used.
Everyone should understand where they are talking and not interfere with E Coms, Military, Commercial .... traffic.

Jeff

Considering I don't think the FCC should even exist, I really don't give a damn what frequency people choose.

In USA..
Regulations can exist at the federal level, if it involves interstate commerce.
Otherwise, it must be regulated at the state level.
However, with a practical consideration it makes sense to regulate radio at national level since signals cross state boundaries. But even though, its unconstitutional if such regulation doesnt involve interstate commerce.
So, in short, the regulation of hobby radio at federal level is unconstitutional, unless you can make justification in the commerce clause. It defers to state-level regulation.

The salient point about 11m band is: who are the legitimate licensed users, who is being harmed? The other item to point out is that in most of the world, 11m is unregulated where anything goes, and everything does.. think mexican taxis.

Like asking how we feel about robbing a liquor store....Hey, I'll never do but if you want to I couldn't care less.

Not quite. It's more similar to asking if you care that someone else is driving 70mph in a 65mph zone.

Look up the Latin phrase :"Malum prohibitum"
and also : Malum in Se

Here you go:

(plural mala prohibita),
literal translation:
"wrong [as or because] prohibited" is a Latin phrase used in law to refer to conduct that constitutes an unlawful act only by virtue of statute,[1] as opposed to conduct evil in and of itself, or malum in se.

Malum in se (plural mala in se) is a Latin phrase meaning wrong or evil in itself. The phrase is used to refer to conduct assessed as sinful or inherently wrong by nature, independent of regulations governing the conduct. It is distinguished from malum prohibitum, which is wrong only because it is prohibited.

Malum prohibitum crimes are criminal not because they are inherently bad, but because the act is prohibited by the law of the state.

Some states delineate the crimes into malum in se or malum prohibitum. Crimes that are malum in se are actions that are inherently harmful to others. Malum prohibitum are acts that are considered crimes because they violate laws

Jeff

I think freebanding got its start for a universal or common ground for DX frequencies... Such as the freeband calling frequency of 27.555Mhz. Not everyone uses the U.S 11 meter allocations, such as Europe uses a slightly off set of frequencies compared to the U.S frequencies and Europe uses FM instead of AM/SSB. But some I think just want some " quiet extree channels" to ragchew on...

T23

C2 your viewpoint contradicts itself.... But from what I get your arguing the point that you consider free-banding as bad a driving under the influence? And the constitution did not really have a take on radio because that wasn't discovered till 1899 or at-least a very good understanding of how it worked.

T23

Where is the contradiction?

The constitution did not have a take on a lot of things, so what does that mean?

I did not say that Drunk Driving was as bad as freebanding - simply made a correlation between two victimless crimes. If there is no victim, how do you determine which is worse?

OK, if a drunk runs over a kid and the kid suffers a painfull life, is that worse than a freeband comm that interrupts a search and rescue operation that results in an equal lifelong injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.