• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YOUR Opinion On Free-Banding

Status
Not open for further replies.
The History Of Amateur Radio

THE WAYBACK MACHINE #34 by Bill Continelli, W2XOY

Other legal and regulatory news dominated the Amateur world at the beginning of 1980. The FCC proposed a new SSB only CB Band from 27.410 MHz (just above CB channel 40) to 27.54 MHz. For this new CB allocation, the FCC proposed removing the 155 mile contact limit (thus allowing DX contacts), as well as permitting VFO’s. A non-technical test would be required for access to the CB-SSB band. Reaction, as you might guess, was strong and divided. HF “outbanders” (who worked the “10 1/2” meter band) were in favor--unlike the 220 MHz “Class E CB” proposal a few years back, they could work skip on this new band. Or, should we say it would legitimize their present operations? The ARRL and the Amateur community were strongly opposed. Many letters in QST pointed out the intrusion of the illegal operators on the “10 1/2” meter band into the bottom part of our 10 meter band. In the end, the proposal was abandoned. The “Freebanders” and “Outbanders” continue to operate the 27.41 to 28 MHz segment to this day.
http://ham-shack.com/history34.htm

I see what your saying now C2, I think the thing that confuesed me was your comment was a bit open ended...

T23

Till I got my ham ticket I run freeband/outlaw channels/ whatever you prefer to call it daily....

personally it doesnt matter to me if you run freeband

Several years back I did read somewhere that the band between CB and 10 meters was secondary frequencies for Coast Guard and other government agencies..wether they actually are or not I couldnt tell you for sure...

I was running around 27.500 one day many years back talking to someone in my local area and had a Coast Guard (or so he said) personel tell me to leave the frequency because I was interfering with their ship to ship communations on that band...needless to say i didnt say another word...

....Just beware where you are at on the dial and go for it I say

Quite frankly, I'd prefer if all Freebanders were licensed hams.

The reasons for Freebanding are manifold.

I was thinking the carb or Fetzer valve...but I digress...Get a license fool. Someone once told me, when I was very young. "Son, you can't be ignorant all your life."

I've tried not to be since.

People who freeband are what I would call "radio operators" compared to those who use the CB at a less involved level. In most respects I find very few differences between the freebanders on 27.555 and the ham operators on 28.400. They are respectful of each other, enjoy the radio hobby, and are on those frequencies to talk DX. Since many great international DX contacts are routinely made in the freeband frequencies it has become an area used globally on a daily basis. The people using those frequencies really aren't causing any interference to anyone else and generally speaking are off the map. Everyone knows they are there but if you didn't specifically go to those frequencies you'd never in a million years know they were there. I've never heard government using those frequencies in my many years of listening there and even if they are, I doubt they would want to try to use them while 100's of stations in Europe or South America or Asia are calling CQ on them :)

well i freeband all the time. but i have respect for tyhe licenced operators
and i dont tx on 28 meghz.i gotta a local ham here maybe 4 miles away [if that]
and never had a complaint. and if there ever was one id tell him sorry
and get closer to the standard 11 meter band.i know this still doesnt
make it legal but i try to be respectful and still have fun at the same time
just too bad theres a few bad apples that do interfer with the 10meter
band ..and others and couldnt care less. shame on those guys

The best response here is it ain't illegal until you get caught. Many of you talk about freeband and I myself have the extra channels also and scan through them every now and then. I have only ever dx'd on 27.555 USB one time and usually the extra channels are silent here. Like others before me have said as long as your not causing interference no one including the FCC seems to care. As for the FCC they can take me off the air when they pry my cold dead hand off of my mic! Take my radio and fine me, I'll pay it and buy another radio tomorrow. I'll freeband until I die!:love:

Attitudes on Freebanding varies with each individual Freebander. Some just love the thrill of DX'ing, with or without a license (I know several veteran hams who enjoy the occasional Freeband QSO). Some Freebanders are pure outlaws, who disdain any authority and who love to thumb their nose at authority. They can't be "tamed". Some just love the thrill of DX'ing, and could easily be turned into licensed ham operators. And some just love the thrill of DX'ing, but don't know any hams, nor how to go about getting a ticket, and some, very few, actually believe that what they are doing is actually "ham radio". The reasons for Freebanding are manifold.

what about the non-licensed operator who enjoys using an amateurs' call sign to transmit on hf without any reprocussions.;)

what about the non-licensed operator who enjoys using an amateurs' call sign to transmit on hf without any reprocussions.;)
Unfortunately, we've had pirates and bootleggers since the beginning. We take great sport in hunting them down like dogs, skinning them alive, and hanging the carcass from the nearest radio tower. ;)

Years ago before I knew much about Ham radio I bought an HTX-10 from a guy on Ebay. We got on Yahoo messenger and he told me to use a callsign he was going to tell me so he could see if he could hear me on a certain freq . Afterward he told me he gave me a "bootleg" callsign. He was a Ham. Later I read about bootlegged calls and realized that dude could have got me in big trouble !:blink:

Thank God our town has a free Banding Clinic.
2rzukw3.gif
I hate actually having to pay for a service I personally need. Like health care. This is why I want to be a republican when I grow up.

Unfortunately, we've had pirates and bootleggers since the beginning. We take great sport in hunting them down like dogs, skinning them alive, and hanging the carcass from the nearest radio tower. ;)

Can you you this technique on Karol? It would be much of a sport though as he does identify his statio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.