• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Anytone At-6666 Pro

Got my Quad6 up and running.

Nice radio and many useful programmable features. The upper bands are dead right now so can't get on the air with anyone yet.

I tested the audio against my other radios with a new $50 desk mic I wired up with an electret element and the audio sounds good. The stock mic sounds good too but it does have the hollow empty shell sound. Some foam stuffed in the mic case should take care of that.

The good:

Has many of the nice features you would want for both a 3 band Amateur radio and for CB users too. Many of them are set and forget in the setup menu while others will take some time to remember what and how to access them. Using A PC will be much easier but the supplied programming cable is too short, I need to get a 6 ft cable so I can keep it patched to my PC.

The TX frequency on LSB/USB is spot on when I did a zero beat to my Kenwood TS890 that I regularly check and zero beat to WWV, Nice!

For FM repeaters and other usage, this radio has a CTCSS/DCS Tones already integrated on the main board and I tested it with my Kenwood and it does work. The older model required you to install a separate modular board.

I like the choices and adjustments of noise reduction and filtering along with being able to turn off modes you won't or don't use (can only be done on PC though).

For those who insist on an unlocked clarifier, the menu gives the choice of TX, RX or both so no mod is necessary. Also has two select-able clarifier ranges.

The VOX and scanning features along with adjustable AGC is a nice touch too.

The not so good:

Being a small footprint radio, I found the coax connector was hard to tighten due to the lack of room between the heat sink and lower frame.

The 15 meter mod was easy but as I suspected, the power out was lower. Mine shows about 50 watts on SSB and a bit more on AM. Not critical, I do have an amp to compensate.

Under the hood I noticed there are NO pots for the golden screwdriver. This is actually a good thing. However all adjustments have to made in the service menu. It's already been mentioned you better write the values down first before you change anything because there is no default setting.

The power cable is long enough but the red and black wires are split. This makes it easy to get caught up in something or just get tangled. First thing I did was tape the wires together every few feet to avoid those problems.

There is only an external speaker jack on the back panel, no PA (who really uses that) or CW jack. To get these features you would have to go through the front mic jack with a break out cable. Not a big deal because I don't think too many user will be on CW or needing a PA with this radio.

There are a couple features I see that are only accessible by using a PC. For instance, setting the radio up to use as a 10 meter only or full coverage. Scott's radio shop already had this set for full coverage. I would think this feature should be menu accessible.

All in all this radio is truly light years ahead of the RCI 2950's and any other export radio to date. I would recommend this as an excellent choice for mobile or base station!

Got my Quad6 up and running.

Great! I will add some info below that might help:

I like the choices and adjustments of noise reduction and filtering along with being able to turn off modes you won't or don't use (can only be done on PC though).

Disabling PA mode is a nice thing to do. NRC of course is adjustable from the radio and also the PC software .

The 15 meter mod was easy but as I suspected, the power out was lower. Mine shows about 50 watts on SSB and a bit more on AM. Not critical, I do have an amp to compensate.

15m is a "gift band". Performance RX and TX specs for 15m are not specified. It will have reduced TX power (around 50w-60w is typical) and reduced RX sensitivity, but it still works well enough to make it very worthwhile IMO.

Under the hood I noticed there are NO pots for the golden screwdriver. This is actually a good thing. However all adjustments have to made in the service menu. It's already been mentioned you better write the values down first before you change anything because there is no default setting.

FYI, As with ALL of the QX menu adjusted radios of recent times, some settings, if changed accidentally can NOT be restored without proper test equipment.

There is only an external speaker jack on the back panel, no PA (who really uses that) or CW jack. To get these features you would have to go through the front mic jack with a break out cable. Not a big deal because I don't think too many user will be on CW or needing a PA with this radio.

Don't be so sure that CW isn't wanted! hihi - I did this:

MIC1.png
MIC2.png

There are a couple features I see that are only accessible by using a PC. For instance, setting the radio up to use as a 10 meter only or full coverage. Scott's radio shop already had this set for full coverage. I would think this feature should be menu accessible.

This is a menu option. Hold BAND + MEM and power on the radio.

All in all this radio is truly light years ahead of the RCI 2950's and any other export radio to date. I would recommend this as an excellent choice for mobile or base station!

It really is a whole new level. I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:
Observations:

"ANL" only works in AM mode - even if programmed in PC software for other modes.

Clarifier only works in SSB mode.

Clarifier has "Dead Space" - Anywhere between 11:45 and 12:15, the clarifier is center slot; doesn't shift. Past those 2 points, Freq Display will show a shift in 10Hz increments (Clarifier range set to +/- 500Hz).

With PD = Off, remembers last settings for each Freq./Channel (mode, NB/ANL/HiCut/RxNR/TxNR, etc.

Setup custom scans. Ex. D band ch 1-34 = AM, NB/ANL, Hicut, RxNR, etc. ch35-40 = LSB, NB, Hicut, RxNR, TxNR, etc. When Scanning, settings will change with Ch/freq.

3 AC Fuses??? Pigtail has a 15a 250v AC fuse in positive lead. Power cord has 15a 250v AC fuse in both leads. WTH??? Change to SFE/AGC 20a 32v at least. Do a before and after comparison with INDIC set to "DC" on Full power SSB TX to see the difference in v drop.

eSSB capability

Stock wire is 2.0mm (between 12 & 13 gauge). Upgrade to true 12AWG or even 10AWG (along with fuse upgrade).

Owners Manual says "Menu" when it should be "Func".

Heat sink is longer (larger) than AT-6666.

I am sure there is more, but this is a start.

73's

Got mine today from Scotts radio its going to be a mobile replacing a President Richard so I am going to upgrade to power wiring to 8ga from the battery so maybe it will be installed this weekend. Also was thinking of up grading my NMO antenna I remember something about a Larsen coil with a 65" whip? trying to find that thread now.
I did that. I want to say it’s a 10m coil with a 72” whip cut down to around 66” I’ll have to measure the whip to be sure

AT-6666 Pro Mic wiring info:

Totally different than AT-6666 mic wiring

6 pin Mic connector - only 4 wires needed

pin 1 = Audio (White wire stock mic)
pin 2 = N/C
pin 3 = TX (Red wire stock mic)
pin 4 = PF/UP/DN buttons (Blue wire stock mic)
pin 5 = Audio Shield & Circuit ground (Bare copper stock mic)
pin 6 = N/C (no voltage measured RX/TX)

PF Button = pin 4 > 33k resistor >PF switch > ground
UP Button = pin 4 > 15K 1% resistor > UP Switch > ground
DN Button = pin 4 > 8.2K resistor > DN switch > ground

PTT = Pin 3 > Mic Key switch > ground

Pin 3 & 4 (TX & Channels) have a .01uF capacitor to ground
Pin 1 (Audio) has a .47uF capacitor to ground

Qixiang finally got smart and moved the Ch buttons off of the TX line. No more Ch/Freq change when you key/unkey the radio.

73's
Dr_DX

Last edited:
AT-6666 Pro Mic wiring info:

Totally different than AT-6666 mic wiring

6 pin Mic connector - only 4 wires needed

pin 1 = Audio (White wire stock mic)
pin 2 = N/C
pin 3 = TX (Red wire stock mic)
pin 4 = PF/UP/DN buttons (Blue wire stock mic)
pin 5 = Audio Shield & Circuit ground (Bare copper stock mic)
pin 6 = N/C (no voltage measured RX/TX)

PF Button = pin 4 > 33k resistor >Mom switch > ground
UP Button = pin 4 > 15K 1% resistor > Mom Switch > ground
DN Button = pin 4 > 8.2K resistor > Mom switch > ground

PTT = Pin 3 > Mic Key switch > ground

Pin 3 & 4 (TX & Channels) have a .01uF capacitor to ground
Pin 1 (Audio) has a .47uF capacitor to ground

Qixiang finally got smart and moved the Ch buttons off of the TX line. No more Ch/Freq change when you key/unkey the radio.

73's
Dr_DX
That's good to know, I am going to wire the sr-75nc to use with it.

Glad I didn't try the uniden 6 to 4 pin adapter.

Reactions: unit_399
That's good to know, I am going to wire the sr-75nc to use with it.

Glad I didn't try the uniden 6 to 4 pin adapter.
If you already have a 4 to 6pin adapter that works on the AT-6666, it should work on the AT-6666 Pro except for the PF/UP/DN buttons. They are on a different wire in the Pro.

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.