• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who to tune or not to tune my new Galaxy radio?

DTB Radio said:
This List will give you a place to start. Justin at Communications Experts is one of the shops on that list.

Are u gone belive someone who put his own shop and a white list and 90% of all the top shops on a black list.

I recomend Justin or R&R Communications in Wilmington Delaware . They both get alot of buisness from me and I have never got a problem once

REDWING:

For the record, I don't operate a blacklist, just link to one. That's on someone elses website. I DO have the whitelist you talked about. I HAVE seen work from many of the shops on the blacklist, and I know why those shops are listed. EVERY shop on that site is there for one reason, namely that they cut or otherwise disable modulation limiters (R+R is one of those, I've seen dozens of their radios).

If you like a radio thats been clipped, thats fine. Many of us would rather have our radios TUNED rather than chopped, so I provide a list of shops who are known to TUNE, not chop. If havng that kind of list bothers you so much, it makes me think that you are one of the chop-lovers, and as I've said, thats fine. To each his own.

I've worked for a couple of the chop-shop type places, and I know most if not all of the little tricks that can be used to make some meter's needle move a bit further. Some are ok, but most comprimise both the audio and RF signal quality, many in the extreme. They don't yield any more power in the signal that you want. They just cause harmonic distortion in the audio signal due to clipping, plus harmonics and other out-of-band signals in the RF output for the same general reasons.

Most of the bleedover you hear comes from chopped radios, mainly due to the heavy harmonics in their audio. Those harmonics in the audio generate a much wider sideband signal, and that extra sideband content is way out of the 6-10khz channel boundary, which means someone else on an adjacent (or not-so-adjacent) channel has to put up with your crappy radio. If you run that extra sideband signal through an amp, well, you probably get the idea.

In case you're not aware of it, an AM signal consists of a carrier, and 2 other frequency components (sidebands), which consist of the sum (upper sideband) and difference (lower sideband) of the carrier and the modulation frequency. Most CB's don't employ much audio filtering to begin with, and the audio needs to be kept inside a range of roughly 100hz to 3khz to maintain channel integrity.

Audio harmonics are frequency components that are 2 times, 3 times, 4 times, etc the frequency of the main mic audio frequencies. In a clipped radio, due to the clipping (squaring-off) of the audio signal, most of the harmonics generated are odd harmonics. A square wave contains the fundamental frequency, plus alot of odd-numbered harmonics (3 times, 5 times, etc). A clipped radio's mic audio will contain MANY of those odd harmonics.

Imagine applying an audio signal that contains a 17th-order harmonic (present in any clipped radio) at fairly high level to the channel 19 carrier of a CB. 27,185,000 hz (ch 19 carrier freq), plus a frequency equalling 3khz (the highest audio freq that should be present) times 17 (51khz). That CB signal now occupies over 100khz of bandwidth, instead of the roughly 6khz it SHOULD occupy. Now you're bleeding over across at least 5 channels in each direction and generally more due to other types of RF distortion caused by a clipped audio signal. A 17th-order harmonic is generally not the highest harmonic generated, either. Taking the same idea, imagine now applying a 35th-order harmonic. That yields a signal bandwidth of about 210khz, about half the CB band. And clipped radios go even higher in harmonic content.

Why would you want a radio that generates useless signals on other channels, and thereby wastes alot of power in those signals? Why not set your radio up to concentrate its power in the signals you DO want? You'll have higher over-all power, not to mention modulation, in the channel you DO want, IF the radio is properly tuned.

Get the general idea? THAT'S why shops end up on that Blacklist.

NORTHSTAR:

Exactly my point!! A good, technically-accurate tune-up will ALWAYS give better long-term performance, as well as PROVEN better sound and signal quality. If you personally ran/run a CB shop, it would likely end up on that Whitelist.

DTB radio blows

okay smart guy it not your list i from fire communications. but Why do u have it one your list ???? your just as much a crook as jack is actually how much did u pay him no tto put u on the list . i've seen some of the stuff out of your shop . I woul dbe embarassed .

Listen if u want yor radio tuned right talk to Justin he's the best hands down . It funny how this guy comes on here and starts trying to put theses Gay lists on everyone

I'd be happy to publically discuss any work you've seen come from my shop that you did not like. Start a new thread with something like "DTB Radio Sucks", etc, and I'm sure I'll recognize it. Try to make any posts of that nature a bit more detailed than your posts in this thread. Include the specific radio, photos if possible, certainly receipt and serial numbers (since EVERYONE who comes to me gets a printed receipt with a detailed list of the work done, and the make, model, and serial number of the radio), and specific work that you did not like. So far, all you've done here is complain about a list, almost as though you own, or work for, one of the shops on it.

Its a shame that this thread went the direction it did, and I appologize to all for my part in that. I won't add any more off-topic posts on this one.

Justin is HIGHLY recommended! Its not fair to say that he does a "peak and tune" or a "high performance" mod. His work actually employs engineering upgrades to circuit segments.

WHAT?!

You heard me correctly! If you replace one component with another, that part of the circuit (or circuit segment) may need different value parts to support the new component(s).

It would be like swapping out the TS Mod-V for a TS 500V but still running the 12ga wire from the battery. Your only as strong as your weakest link!

I have watched Justin work on many many RCI/Galaxy/Import/Shit radios. They replace a minimum of 20+ components when performing their "High Performance" mod. Limiters are still intact and the radio will work great!

Now, there are those out here who want "STUPID". That is, they want 200% modulation, swing from hell, bleed across all 40, etc. No matter how hard we try to educate the galacticly (sp?) stupid, they still think this is the way to tune a radio because their UNQUALIFIED buddy said so. I'm amazed that a person will talk to 5 techs who all tell him the same thing, yet believe their buddy because he was the one who told him what he wanted to hear. Can Justin do "stupid"? Sure! But why would he de-value his reputation to please an idiot? Even STUPID can log on to a hack site and clip parts out of his radio. They don't need a tech for that!

"Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?"

If you are looking for a single stop buy and fly shop, Communications Experts is the place to go! In the past I'd tell you to go to FG Best, but I understand they don't want to do Internet business anymore...too many STUPID people.

I just got my Galaxy 77 from Richard at 8541 Electronics. Nothing but good reports on it. I've always heard good things about his work and decided to give him a try. He'll get my business from now on.

Since ive known about justin...He has been doing all my radio work for me...and for a few locals in the area....
Do i need to say more??? Ummmm No...LOL

AM POWER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.